Trouble Starting 02 GT - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-16-2013, 03:58 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maine
Trouble Starting 02 GT

Hey guys, so every now and then my 2002 GT has trouble starting. It seems like it wants to turn over and it cranks, but not like the battery is dead. It hasn't been a serious problem yet, but would like to figure it out before it gets serious. I usually try to start it and it either A) barely starts at low RPM then goes up to normal idle or B) it just doesn't start and then ill try again and it will start

Please let me know if you guys have any ideas on it, its an automatic with 69k miles on it if that is important. Thanks in advance guys!
Michael.s.king is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-16-2013, 06:18 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Sounds really stupid by have you changed your fuel filter lately that could be all clogged up. Another thing may be that the fuel pump could be on its last leg. You have to try to narrow it down it needs spark fuel n air to start so if its having trouble starting one of those three your not really getting enough of. The fuel filter and plugs are probably the cheapest trial and error solutions but to be honest there are so many different ways that could go.

---------- Post added at 07:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:17 PM ----------

Also are you throwing any codes could be something like a crank sensor or another sensor that could keep it from starting easily.
GReese87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 07:47 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GReese87 View Post
Sounds really stupid by have you changed your fuel filter lately that could be all clogged up. Another thing may be that the fuel pump could be on its last leg. You have to try to narrow it down it needs spark fuel n air to start so if its having trouble starting one of those three your not really getting enough of. The fuel filter and plugs are probably the cheapest trial and error solutions but to be honest there are so many different ways that could go.

---------- Post added at 07:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:17 PM ----------

Also are you throwing any codes could be something like a crank sensor or another sensor that could keep it from starting easily.
That makes sense, I'm not sure I just bought it recently ha. No codes or lights, but was thinking about getting a diagnostic or whatever just in case. Thanks I'm gonna look into those things for sure! I appreciate it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2013, 11:23 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GReese87 View Post

I forgot to ask but, are there any other symptoms I can look for that would narrow it down to spark, fuel, or air? Thanks again
Old 04-17-2013, 09:33 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael.s.king View Post

I forgot to ask but, are there any other symptoms I can look for that would narrow it down to spark, fuel, or air? Thanks again
Does it do this every time or just after driving it?? And next time you go to start it turn the key on but don't start the car, wait 5 seconds or so and then see if it starts right up or not..
Old 04-18-2013, 12:14 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
if there is a pepboys close by, do a starting charging evaluation, starts really low rpms sounds like a starter goin bad, and when you said it doesnt start does it click and not crank at all or does it crank but not start?
1996mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 09:58 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltage258 View Post
Does it do this every time or just after driving it?? And next time you go to start it turn the key on but don't start the car, wait 5 seconds or so and then see if it starts right up or not..
It only does this after driving it

---------- Post added at 10:58 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:57 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1996mustang View Post
if there is a pepboys close by, do a starting charging evaluation, starts really low rpms sounds like a starter goin bad, and when you said it doesnt start does it click and not crank at all or does it crank but not start?
It cranks, but doesn't start. No pepboys around though!
Old 04-18-2013, 10:08 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Quote:
Hey guys, so every now and then my 2002 GT has trouble starting. It seems like it wants to turn over and it cranks, but not like the battery is dead. It hasn't been a serious problem yet, but would like to figure it out before it gets serious. I usually try to start it and it either A) barely starts at low RPM then goes up to normal idle or B) it just doesn't start and then ill try again and it will start

Please let me know if you guys have any ideas on it, its an automatic with 69k miles on it if that is important. Thanks in advance guys!
My car does the same exact thing, it gets old! Lol
Sbales88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 11:58 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Mine started to do this and it turned out the fuel pump was getting weak. A few months later fuel pump died completely.
Mfore33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 12:01 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfore33 View Post
Mine started to do this and it turned out the fuel pump was getting weak. A few months later fuel pump died completely.
Good to know! Did you replace it with just a stock fuel pump?
Old 04-18-2013, 12:27 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Yes my 2000 gt is all stock
Old 04-18-2013, 05:36 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Utah
Quote:

It only does this after driving it

---------- Post added at 10:58 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:57 AM ----------

It cranks, but doesn't start. No pepboys around though!
Mine does it too and has for the year I have had it, I just don't think the pump primes it quick enough when it's hot and that's why it has trouble I would not worry about it unless you notice power loss or hard starting every time you try.
Old 04-28-2013, 10:52 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltage258 View Post

Mine does it too and has for the year I have had it, I just don't think the pump primes it quick enough when it's hot and that's why it has trouble I would not worry about it unless you notice power loss or hard starting every time you try.
I think you're right, I've been putting my battery on for a few seconds before I start it and it seems to help. Really weird ha but I should probably put some money aside for a new pump someday. Thanks guys!
Old 04-29-2013, 11:07 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
My 99gt does the same thing. Even after a new fuel pump. Same senerio, drive it, and doesn't start hot. I've been dealing with this for a long time now. Good luck bud. Can't figure it out. Also dies while driving sometimes. Sucks arse.
bostang99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 11:13 PM   #15
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
My Bullitt does the same thing!!! Only when it's warm, but it hasn't done it much lately. It used to do it a lot but then I filled it up with 91 and put a can of sea foam in the tank and it has barely done it since. But it never ran crappy, it was just on start up, after that its fine. So I know it's ignition. It hasn't been a PITA so I just left it alone.

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 06:20 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I think you're right, I've been putting my battery on for a few seconds before I start it and it seems to help. Really weird ha but I should probably put some money aside for a new pump someday. Thanks guys!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT