70mm SR TB/plenum vs. 78mm BBK throttle intake - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-17-2013, 11:41 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular
 
StangerBanger04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Region: Missouri
Posts: 560
70mm SR TB/plenum vs. 78mm BBK throttle intake

I've heard mixed reactions on the 78mm BBK throttle intake and how it's more for supercharged gt's but seen others say its the perfect TB cause its the TB and plenum all in one. On AM the bolt on build up they put out about the same hp and tq so which one to buy?
StangerBanger04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 04-18-2013, 12:40 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular
 
White03GT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Hereford
Region: Texas
Posts: 1,057
Quote:
Originally Posted by StangerBanger04 View Post
I've heard mixed reactions on the 78mm BBK throttle intake and how it's more for supercharged gt's but seen others say its the perfect TB cause its the TB and plenum all in one. On AM the bolt on build up they put out about the same hp and tq so which one to buy?
I've got the BBK 78 and I love it!
White03GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 01:01 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Region: Texas
Posts: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by White03GT View Post

I've got the BBK 78 and I love it!
+ 1
Call me fez is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 04-18-2013, 01:23 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular
 
MidnightBlueGT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Charlotte
Region: North Carolina
Posts: 3,887
Im going bbk but im also plannin on scing soon but i dont think its a negative because u can use it for bigger mods such as f/i
MidnightBlueGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 11:43 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular
 
StangerBanger04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Region: Missouri
Posts: 560
I wasn't planning on doing FI so would it still be a good buy?
StangerBanger04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 11:52 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular
 
MidnightBlueGT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Charlotte
Region: North Carolina
Posts: 3,887
I feel it is. Wouldnt really make much difference than a 70mm though if no f/i. But when talking about bbk coming with the plenum i feel its still a good buy. Pretty much an opinionated thing i feel.
MidnightBlueGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 12:01 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular
 
StangerBanger04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Region: Missouri
Posts: 560
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightBlueGT View Post
I feel it is. Wouldnt really make much difference than a 70mm though if no f/i. But when talking about bbk coming with the plenum i feel its still a good buy. Pretty much an opinionated thing i feel.
Yeah true. Cause I mean the SR and the BBK both put out almost the same amount of hp and tq according to the dyno results on AmericanMuscle.com but I think the BBK would be better cause you're getting the two things in one and more leeway when it comes to upgrading other parts.
StangerBanger04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 12:02 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular
 
White03GT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Hereford
Region: Texas
Posts: 1,057
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightBlueGT View Post
I feel it is. Wouldnt really make much difference than a 70mm though if no f/i. But when talking about bbk coming with the plenum i feel its still a good buy. Pretty much an opinionated thing i feel.
I bought my BBK 78mm tb AND a k&n cai for $325. I think it's worth it fi or NA
White03GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 12:20 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular
 
Slow4V's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Sa
Region: Alabama
Posts: 2,208
I bought a 70mm and plenum for 100 bucks

Best investment ever
Slow4V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 02:36 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular
 
StangerBanger04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Region: Missouri
Posts: 560
If you were to pick between the BBK throttle intake or SR TB/plenum which would you go for?
StangerBanger04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 03:33 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular
 
Horseplay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: San Antonio, TX
Region: Texas
Posts: 4,265
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow4V View Post
I bought a 70mm and plenum for 100 bucks

Best investment ever
used or what
__________________

Low2v
Horseplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 03:53 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular
 
BeasGT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Region: California
Posts: 488
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow4V View Post
I bought a 70mm and plenum for 100 bucks

Best investment ever
Where!
BeasGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 06:37 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular
 
Slow4V's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Sa
Region: Alabama
Posts: 2,208
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeasGT View Post

Where!
Craigslist lol
Slow4V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 07:30 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular
 
shawnpbigelow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Region: Indiana
Posts: 46
Just bolted my bbk 78mm on last night. I like it so far.
shawnpbigelow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 08:43 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular
 
Polar Bear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Misawa
Region: Asia
Posts: 407
For those with the 78mm are you running an otherwise NA engine? AM recommends the 70mm for NA so the question I have is there any detrimental effects by going to the larger 78mm if there is no intent for forced induction?
__________________
Steve
Polar Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 10:10 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular
 
StangerBanger04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Region: Missouri
Posts: 560
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post
For those with the 78mm are you running an otherwise NA engine? AM recommends the 70mm for NA so the question I have is there any detrimental effects by going to the larger 78mm if there is no intent for forced induction?
There's a ton of comments and reviews on the 78mm BBK throttle intake and a lot of them are a NA 2v and they say they're great even if they're not going the FI route.

---------- Post added at 10:10 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:10 AM ----------

Go big or go home lmao!
StangerBanger04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 10:18 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular
 
2002VertGT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Region: Ohio
Posts: 1,876
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightBlueGT View Post
I feel it is. Wouldnt really make much difference than a 70mm though if no f/i. But when talking about bbk coming with the plenum i feel its still a good buy. Pretty much an opinionated thing i feel.
+1
__________________
2004 F150 4x4 Lariat Supercrew, 5.4l, Black/Arizona Beige (daily driver)
2002 Mustang GT Convertible, triple black, mach 1000 system (Summer Car)
2001 Ranger Edge 4x4 xcab (sold to cousin)

4.10 Gear/RPM thread
2002VertGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 11:18 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular
 
2002VertGT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Region: Ohio
Posts: 1,876
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post
For those with the 78mm are you running an otherwise NA engine? AM recommends the 70mm for NA so the question I have is there any detrimental effects by going to the larger 78mm if there is no intent for forced induction?
I've driven with the 78mm for a year. No side affects other than pulling like a freight train after 3k rpm. I'm putting a procharger on this summer....so mine will def be put to use
__________________
2004 F150 4x4 Lariat Supercrew, 5.4l, Black/Arizona Beige (daily driver)
2002 Mustang GT Convertible, triple black, mach 1000 system (Summer Car)
2001 Ranger Edge 4x4 xcab (sold to cousin)

4.10 Gear/RPM thread
2002VertGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 11:32 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular
 
SilverPonyGT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: St. Louis
Region: Missouri
Posts: 105
I run the bbk 78 N/A no complaints what so ever when you hit 3K you feel it start pulling and it has a little whistle when you open her up I love it! I have just intake and exhaust and a tune!
SilverPonyGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 01:33 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular
 
StangerBanger04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Region: Missouri
Posts: 560
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverPonyGT View Post
I run the bbk 78 N/A no complaints what so ever when you hit 3K you feel it start pulling and it has a little whistle when you open her up I love it! I have just intake and exhaust and a tune!
That's exactly all I have as well. I wanna get 3.73 gears as well as the BBK throttle intake.
StangerBanger04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 01:35 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular
 
SilverPonyGT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: St. Louis
Region: Missouri
Posts: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by StangerBanger04 View Post

That's exactly all I have as well. I wanna get 3.73 gears as well as the BBK throttle intake.
I'd love to get gears, but I want to save up for a bike
SilverPonyGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 02:17 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular
 
StangerBanger04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Region: Missouri
Posts: 560
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverPonyGT View Post

I'd love to get gears, but I want to save up for a bike
That's also a good choice. I know a person in southeast Missouri selling his and its got 20 miles on it for $3k. He had a stroke and can't ride it anymore so he's selling it.
StangerBanger04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 02:20 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular
 
SilverPonyGT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: St. Louis
Region: Missouri
Posts: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by StangerBanger04 View Post

That's also a good choice. I know a person in southeast Missouri selling his and its got 20 miles on it for $3k. He had a stroke and can't ride it anymore so he's selling it.
I just started my savings fund I have a while to go sadly
SilverPonyGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 03:01 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular
 
White03GT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Hereford
Region: Texas
Posts: 1,057
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverPonyGT View Post

I just started my savings fund I have a while to go sadly
What kind of bike?
White03GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 03:04 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular
 
SilverPonyGT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: St. Louis
Region: Missouri
Posts: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by White03GT View Post

What kind of bike?
Im a typical 20 year old lol ,a street bike, preferably gsxr 750, a case could be made for a cbr 600rr
SilverPonyGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 05:09 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular
 
2002VertGT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Region: Ohio
Posts: 1,876
Quote:
Originally Posted by StangerBanger04 View Post

That's exactly all I have as well. I wanna get 3.73 gears as well as the BBK throttle intake.
I have Bbk CAI, Bbk 78mm tb/p, prochamber midpipe, Mac cat back, MGW shorty, 93 race tune.

I have my eibach sport lines half installed (fronts) and 373 gears in the trunk. I have a set of under drive pullies I was going to install but I now have a supercharger to install and do not need them .

Steeda underdrive pullies for sale $100 + ship.
__________________
2004 F150 4x4 Lariat Supercrew, 5.4l, Black/Arizona Beige (daily driver)
2002 Mustang GT Convertible, triple black, mach 1000 system (Summer Car)
2001 Ranger Edge 4x4 xcab (sold to cousin)

4.10 Gear/RPM thread
2002VertGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 06:00 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular
 
StangerBanger04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Region: Missouri
Posts: 560
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2002VertGT View Post

I have Bbk CAI, Bbk 78mm tb/p, prochamber midpipe, Mac cat back, MGW shorty, 93 race tune.

I have my eibach sport lines half installed (fronts) and 373 gears in the trunk. I have a set of under drive pullies I was going to install but I now have a supercharger to install and do not need them .

Steeda underdrive pullies for sale $100 + ship.
Do underdrive pullies help on a car that's barely modified?

---------- Post added at 06:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:58 PM ----------

And did you use your integrated shift stops for your MGW shifter cause I didn't install them with mine and was wondering if it made a difference if I did or not?
StangerBanger04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 07:32 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular
 
White03GT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Hereford
Region: Texas
Posts: 1,057
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverPonyGT View Post

Im a typical 20 year old lol ,a street bike, preferably gsxr 750, a case could be made for a cbr 600rr
Ah hell yeah man
White03GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 10:03 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular
 
2002VertGT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Region: Ohio
Posts: 1,876
Quote:
Originally Posted by StangerBanger04 View Post

Do underdrive pullies help on a car that's barely modified?

---------- Post added at 06:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:58 PM ----------

And did you use your integrated shift stops for your MGW shifter cause I didn't install them with mine and was wondering if it made a difference if I did or not?
Yes us pullies do help, however they just "free up" hp lost in the rotating motion. Like the light weight fly wheel and alum driveshaft

And no you are not supposed to use the shift stops with our tranny....it will F shiot up
__________________
2004 F150 4x4 Lariat Supercrew, 5.4l, Black/Arizona Beige (daily driver)
2002 Mustang GT Convertible, triple black, mach 1000 system (Summer Car)
2001 Ranger Edge 4x4 xcab (sold to cousin)

4.10 Gear/RPM thread
2002VertGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 12:34 AM   #30
Registered Member
Regular
 
StangerBanger04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Region: Missouri
Posts: 560
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2002VertGT View Post

Yes us pullies do help, however they just "free up" hp lost in the rotating motion. Like the light weight fly wheel and alum driveshaft

And no you are not supposed to use the shift stops with our tranny....it will F shiot up
Oh gotcha. Well I'm glad I did not use it then!
StangerBanger04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 01:02 AM   #31
Registered Member
Regular
 
2002VertGT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Region: Ohio
Posts: 1,876
Quote:
Originally Posted by StangerBanger04 View Post

Oh gotcha. Well I'm glad I did not use it then!
You interested in the steeda UD pullies at all ??
__________________
2004 F150 4x4 Lariat Supercrew, 5.4l, Black/Arizona Beige (daily driver)
2002 Mustang GT Convertible, triple black, mach 1000 system (Summer Car)
2001 Ranger Edge 4x4 xcab (sold to cousin)

4.10 Gear/RPM thread
2002VertGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 11:54 AM   #32
Registered Member
Regular
 
StangerBanger04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Region: Missouri
Posts: 560
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2002VertGT View Post

You interested in the steeda UD pullies at all ??
Yes and no. Yes cause I wanna buy them eventually but no cause I'm a poor college kid lol.
StangerBanger04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


» Like Us On Facebook



12:56 PM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.