Any quiet stangs out there? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-22-2013, 07:25 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Any quiet stangs out there?

I currently have a Bassani X-pipe on my 2000 GT. No catalytic converters whatsoever. Loud and sounds amazing. I love it.

However I live in Miami...and this isn't the main reason, but it's a bit of a "heat" up when I just want to pass someone or go WOT from time to time to get my blood flowing.

So I'm thinking (and slap me if you think I'm wrong, but hear me out) of ways to quiet it down. It's my DD. I'm not a "street racer" and I don't take it to the strip. It's basically factory aside from a few bolt ons.

In any sense, anybody have a quiet stang setup? How do you like it? What should I do? Economically to my wallet please. thank you in advance.
Constantine is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2013, 09:29 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

My '03 came to me with an off-road H-pipe and Flowmasters welded in to the stock catback. Great sound at idle and low load, but get on it even a bit and it was both obnoxious¹ and caused every cop within 1/4 miles to turn their head to get a look. Then there was the cabin "drone" at 2100 RPM...

Took less than a week for me to scrap all that and install a UPR catted X-pipe and Magnaflow catback. The result is a nice purr at idle and growl when you get on it, but not anything that would require people standing near to have hearing protection.

BTW, "off-road" pipes do not make one bit more power than a catted pipe having so-called "high-flow" cats--just more noise.

As to your particular situation I would look into having a pair of inexpensive glass packs, or better yet a pair of Magnaflow Magnapaks, welded into your X-pipe. The are straight through and will add not restriction, and will quiet it quite a bit.

------------------------------------------
¹ - I have never been wild about obnoxiously loud street cars, even when they have the muscle to back it up--which 99.44% of "bolt-on" GTs, including mine do not.

New ride (7/1/2013) 1998 Mercedes SL500-5.0L 32V VVT 326/347 HP/tq
cliffyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 11:57 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
You should slap on a stock midpipe. And get some flowmasters (even though I don't recommend them to anyone) or stock midpipe and slp lm2

Follow me on instagram @nicknold for car and truck pictures
1lowGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2013, 12:00 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Constantine View Post
I currently have a Bassani X-pipe on my 2000 GT. No catalytic converters whatsoever. Loud and sounds amazing. I love it.

However I live in Miami...and this isn't the main reason, but it's a bit of a "heat" up when I just want to pass someone or go WOT from time to time to get my blood flowing.

So I'm thinking (and slap me if you think I'm wrong, but hear me out) of ways to quiet it down. It's my DD. I'm not a "street racer" and I don't take it to the strip. It's basically factory aside from a few bolt ons.

In any sense, anybody have a quiet stang setup? How do you like it? What should I do? Economically to my wallet please. thank you in advance.
I put electric cutouts on mine. Just flip a witch and its almost SILENT (magnaflow mufflers) and open it up and it's pretty much open headers with turndowns. Pretty cool and it Didint cost that much.

---------- Post added at 12:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:59 AM ----------

Oh and NO drone at all.

2015 Mustang GT Premium. No mods yet.
Jgill1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 01:14 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

I used to have flowmasters on my 98 with an o/r x and it was too loud for me. I got a magnaflow catback(not the magnapack) and its soo much better. Barely any drone and when you're just driving you can still hear it but it screams when you get on it.
98vertgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 01:31 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Like Cliffy said put on a catted midpipe or stock midpipe, and get some magnaflows they seem to be the quietest to me
Old 04-22-2013, 01:33 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:

Just get some hi flow cats?
White03GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 04:03 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
I have a magnaflow catback with an offroad h pipe, in my opinion its very quiet. Especially when compared to my dads with an offroad h and flowmasters. In my opinion the magnaflows are way too quiet and I would prefer something like loudmouths or maybe even cutting out the magnaflows and welding in dynomax bullets. In your case, magnaflows are definitely the way to go.
ccabral14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 04:04 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccabral14 View Post
I have a magnaflow catback with an offroad h pipe, in my opinion its very quiet. Especially when compared to my dads with an offroad h and flowmasters. In my opinion the magnaflows are way too quiet and I would prefer something like loudmouths or maybe even cutting out the magnaflows and welding in dynomax bullets. In your case, magnaflows are definitely the way to go.
Magnaflows on an offroad H are comparable almost to a stock car IMO. Very quiet.

2015 Mustang GT Premium. No mods yet.
Jgill1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 05:54 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Thank you all for your input. It's much appreciated. Update! Forgot about this earlier, it slipped my mind.

I want to also remove my CEL. Should I just do stock cats? The 2 up front? It'll quiet down and clear the light. Would that be so?
Old 04-22-2013, 06:28 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
Since you have the Bassani X-pipe you could just buy their high flow cats off the website and slide them on. Their x is designed to let you switch between catted and O/R pretty easy
Mile high JDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 07:48 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Thank you all for your input. It's much appreciated. Update! Forgot about this earlier, it slipped my mind.

I want to also remove my CEL. Should I just do stock cats? The 2 up front? It'll quiet down and clear the light. Would that be so?
Look at MIL eliminators
98vertgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 07:51 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDF View Post
Since you have the Bassani X-pipe you could just buy their high flow cats off the website and slide them on. Their x is designed to let you switch between catted and O/R pretty easy
+1
Old 04-22-2013, 08:07 PM   #14
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn
O/r h and quiet borlas on the wife's.car. Tame but noticable, gets twice as loud over 3k
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 08:40 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Put only flowmaster original 40s and fiancés 04 gt auto and went to a new oil place and they said that's the first time I've ever heard a quiet stang ;(
FortyBrandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 11:56 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Try the flowmaster 50 series. Love how it sounds and it isn't loud or raspy and annoying like some mustangs.
Call me fez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 12:17 PM   #17
slow281
Regular
Supporter

Region: Nebraska
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgill1992 View Post

Magnaflows on an offroad H are comparable almost to a stock car IMO. Very quiet.
I'd have to disagree I have off road H and magnaflow and I can make some noise.. no ware close to stock..
2003 V6 - Zinc Yellow
1990 LX 2.3 - project
sixpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 12:24 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Living in NY i simply can't tell you to throw your cats back on b/c we stang owners up here envy you guys down in FL lol... i so wish i could remove my cats... as for a quite stang im not sure ive ever heard of a quite one before in my life... i suppose yours screams now so our definitions of quite may not be the same ha
04' TR Mach 1 w/ IUP-Vortech V2 3.48" pulley-aftercooler-Anderson PP-90mm MAF-SVT pump-42lb frpp injectors-Steeda battery/trunk-frpp 4.10's-SOS Pillar w/ Ford Racing Fuel,boost/vac gauges-aluminum DS-Steeda tri ax-caster cambers-eibach damper and pro kit-MM FL subframes-borla stinger catback-17x10.5 TT-nitto 555r-04 cobra mirrors/side skirts-CDC decklid panel,billet fuel door-sequential tails-Mach 1 sills-billet antenna-MGW Mach 1 plate covers-MGW brake handle-35% tint-455 rwhp 389 tq
Rumplemenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 12:33 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumplemenz View Post
Living in NY i simply can't tell you to throw your cats back on b/c we stang owners up here envy you guys down in FL lol... i so wish i could remove my cats... as for a quite stang im not sure ive ever heard of a quite one before in my life... i suppose yours screams now so our definitions of quite may not be the same ha
I'm in jersey I have no cats just when inspection cones put a high flow on or pay someone to inspect it
Slp_loudmouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 12:47 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Ok. I think they're actually just Bassani mufflers.

I think stock cats would be my best bet. It would in turn get rid of the CEL also.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2318639751.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	483.2 KB
ID:	103889  
Old 04-23-2013, 01:32 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Ok. I think they're actually just Bassani mufflers.

I think stock cats would be my best bet. It would in turn get rid of the CEL also.
+1

IMO, keep the bassani mufflers and put some cats on the x pipe. Im running bassani catted x w/ bassani catback and its simply one of the best setups ive heard. Only reason id change it would be to go louder.
Engine/drivetrain mods: Pro 5.0 Short Shifter, Dragon Plenum-75mm, Accufab TB-70MM, K&N FIPK GEN.2 Air Intake, Bassani Cat Back Exhaust,Bassani Catted X Pipe, 3.73 FRPP Rear Gears,Ford Racing TA Rear Diff Cover,

Bunch of suspension goodies
ty98gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 04:43 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ty98gt View Post

+1

IMO, keep the bassani mufflers and put some cats on the x pipe. Im running bassani catted x w/ bassani catback and its simply one of the best setups ive heard. Only reason id change it would be to go louder.
I have a video on YouTube of what your car will sound like without cats I'll post it when I get a chance.
Old 04-23-2013, 06:03 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I have a video on YouTube of what your car will sound like without cats I'll post it when I get a chance.
Nice! Ive always wanted to delete the cats, but I live in CA and havent decided whether I should risk it and go o/r x or just get a straight through muffler like slp
Engine/drivetrain mods: Pro 5.0 Short Shifter, Dragon Plenum-75mm, Accufab TB-70MM, K&N FIPK GEN.2 Air Intake, Bassani Cat Back Exhaust,Bassani Catted X Pipe, 3.73 FRPP Rear Gears,Ford Racing TA Rear Diff Cover,

Bunch of suspension goodies
ty98gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 07:35 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slp_loudmouth View Post

I'm in jersey I have no cats just when inspection cones put a high flow on or pay someone to inspect it
The beauty of maryland. Inspect a car when you buy it and never again... No safety inspection or emissions.... Ever
Old 04-24-2013, 05:24 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

colin idk why you want it quiet, mines a dd too i say ftw lol, however im quiet when idling, anything after not so much lol, flowmaster 40 dumped down, o/r x, stock manifold for now, quiet when just sitting, get on it raspy and loud, backfire adds that oh sorry your rice cooker cant do that thing to it lol, j/k j/k however its better than having a honda with a coffee can attached to it like most have here in miami -_- smh
1996mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 06:26 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1996mustang View Post
colin idk why you want it quiet, mines a dd too i say ftw lol, however im quiet when idling, anything after not so much lol, flowmaster 40 dumped down, o/r x, stock manifold for now, quiet when just sitting, get on it raspy and loud, backfire adds that oh sorry your rice cooker cant do that thing to it lol, j/k j/k however its better than having a honda with a coffee can attached to it like most have here in miami -_- smh
Haha mines all stock except no cats and welded in a pair on pypes m-80 bullets. It's not loud at all until you want it to be. I can only imagine the drone you have with that set up lol
Old 04-24-2013, 11:17 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

I actually enjoy the drone. Its not bothersome at all. That and atleast i will know if she misses or acts up since i know the sound of her normal i can pick up when she has an issue.
Old 04-24-2013, 11:20 PM   #28
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slp_loudmouth View Post
Fake cats and MIL eliminators and done if you don't want cats. All we have here for OBD2 cars is a code scan, visual check, brakes and gas cap. Although a good set of high flow cats is only going to take like 1whp so you might as well run them to avoid the hassle and they do help a lot with drone.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 01:04 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Stock mid pipe would definently be the quietest way to go
Bakiebruno5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 09:38 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mississippi
Mine has lts off road h pipe so no cats .. and flowmaster cats .... 50 series I don't like it ... It is quiet but can get loud has a nice wine around 2100 but ima about to switch out my mufflers for pypes m-80s! Can't wait if my dad dosent want my mufflers for his truck I am selling them ill do an exhaust clip tomorrow most likely
Scream is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT