Muffler swap ? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-23-2013, 06:59 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mississippi
Muffler swap ?

On my 02 GT with longtubes and no cats I have a flow master cat back... It's quiet it looks like it was made for an suv a shop said so being 18 and broke I am thinkin of just changing up the mufflers. The ones on there are offsets so could a shop put a straight through muffler like pypes m-80s and still have the exhaust run out the back like normal ?
Scream is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-23-2013, 07:45 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
A muffler shop can do basically anything just how much they will charge but for the most part you could cut the mufflers out and yea just weld or clamp new muffler in the same place especially if they are the same size of not you may have to add a little or cut a little pipe to make them fit. If you want something louder look into lm1 or lm2 resonators they will be much louder I have the lm2 now the lm1 were too raspy lol but they will clamp on to your existing pipe if you have 2.5 inch piping.
GReese87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 12:24 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Sweet I was quoted 80-100 $
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-23-2013, 12:38 PM   #4
Staff
Regular
Staff

Just FYI, all the 94-04 mufflers are offsets and a flowmaster catback should have come with flowmaster mufflers which are anything but quiet.

Also, louder does not = better. I had a 91 with flowmaster 40 series in it with no cats and my ears would ring after a highway drive in that thing...
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 12:50 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

I have no cats and longtubes its not. Loud I think they were made for an suv
Old 04-23-2013, 01:03 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Then they are probably like 50 series.
1lowGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 10:24 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1lowGT View Post
Then they are probably like 50 series.
Yeah I had 50 series on my truck when I bought it and it sounded stock on the inside. It's a huge muffler but I would go with lm1 or 2 if I were you
3.73 Gears
XXR 521 Wheels
20x8.5 and 20x10.5
Count Dragula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 10:26 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSG2003 View Post

Yeah I had 50 series on my truck when I bought it and it sounded stock on the inside. It's a huge muffler but I would go with lm1 or 2 if I were you
For sure. Lm2 with long tubes and o/rx would be nice. OP what sound are you looking for?

Follow me on instagram @nicknold for car and truck pictures
1lowGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 10:31 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSG2003 View Post

I would love some loudmouths but 18 and headed for college in a few months funds pretty tight
Old 04-23-2013, 10:35 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scream View Post

I would love some loudmouths but 18 and headed for college in a few months funds pretty tight
Well whatever you do is going to cost 100 and straight pipes is basically lm1 so I would do that. It will be close but not perfect. A none mustang person won't notice at all
3.73 Gears
XXR 521 Wheels
20x8.5 and 20x10.5
Count Dragula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 10:43 PM   #11
Staff
Regular
Staff

Honestly if they are not leaking or anything and you are on a mega budget I'd leave it. Or just get a set of cheapo Summit mufflers or something. IMO, chambered mufflers suck and straight throughs sound better regardless. Dynomax Ultra Flows are amazing, stainless, no drone on the highway, relatively quiet at idle and SCREAM when you mash it. Obviously header and tailpipe choice makes a difference too but they are my #1 muffler recommendation for a Mustang having had them, Magnaflows, Dronemaster 40 series, Super Turbos and stockers.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 04:25 AM   #12
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Honestly if they are not leaking or anything and you are on a mega budget I'd leave it. Or just get a set of cheapo Summit mufflers or something. IMO, chambered mufflers suck and straight throughs sound better regardless. Dynomax Ultra Flows are amazing, stainless, no drone on the highway, relatively quiet at idle and SCREAM when you mash it. Obviously header and tailpipe choice makes a difference too but they are my #1 muffler recommendation for a Mustang having had them, Magnaflows, Dronemaster 40 series, Super Turbos and stockers.
Chambered vs straight through each shine in special applications. H pipes usually have good results with chambered and x pipes with straight through. And prochambers with chambered.

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 06:49 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
They are 45 each I can save that quick I'm hoping they will make a pretty big difference then I guess 50 series

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT