Weird Whining noise - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-23-2013, 01:32 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Weird Whining noise

There is a whining sound whenever I come to a complete stop and then start off again. When I apply the brakes I can feel a slight vibration and even when the brakes are not applied and the car is in neutral I can hear this whining.

Here is a video
Mustang Sound Video by NHRider1 | Photobucket

Any Ideas, I hope this isn't anything major
nhrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-23-2013, 01:50 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

I checked my power steering fluid and it is a little low, but when I turn the wheel the whining sound does not change at all. The alternator was just replaced before I bought the car so I would assume it is not that. Lastly, when I got the car checked out the mechanic said the only problem was the tranny seal which was not a big deal at all. If the tranny seals were leaking would this cause the whine even in neutral?

Also if the car sits for a while (an hour or so) it does not whine then after a little bit of driving it will start back up again.
Old 04-23-2013, 01:52 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
http://youtu.be/l7xXOsKQ-TE check your water pump. Dose it sound like this?
Rich04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-23-2013, 01:58 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich04 View Post
04 water pump going bad - YouTube check your water pump. Dose it sound like this?
Not really, that sounds alot worse. The worst is from inside the car when I am driving but when I opened the hood I couldnt hear anything because its not as loud when idleing.
Old 04-23-2013, 05:07 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

I would have that power steering fluid changed out dude.
Old 04-23-2013, 07:24 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
You probably have a hidden supercharger
mcvicar04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 10:23 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Have u spayed wd40 on the idler pulley? Try that and see if it goes away
Old 04-24-2013, 01:53 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1996mustang View Post
Have u spayed wd40 on the idler pulley? Try that and see if it goes away
Not yet. I'm gonna change the power steering fluid sometime today and hopefully that does it.
Old 04-24-2013, 02:36 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

So I just came back from my mechanic and he said that there is a leak in the power steering system. I think he said the power steering rack and to fix it is gonna cost $500-$600. Does this sound right to you guys? How big of a job is this and how much is just the actual part?
Old 04-24-2013, 05:10 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhrider View Post
So I just came back from my mechanic and he said that there is a leak in the power steering system. I think he said the power steering rack and to fix it is gonna cost $500-$600. Does this sound right to you guys? How big of a job is this and how much is just the actual part?
frankly its not ath hard of a job to do, however the one thing you will need is an alignment after it since you will have to remove the outer tie rods and place them back as close as possible to how they were on the old rack. 500 to 600 sounds actualy about right bought 100 for the part or so then 1.8 hrs roughly to do the job at 100/hr plus alignment sounds about right including flushing of the p/s system. however it is very easy to do on your own, at least i think it is (pepboys mechanic ) however, you still havent gotten to me if it was the pulley or not, normally a rack would make noise not only idling but turning and such plus youd feel it on the floorboard sorta. another way to confirm it would be check it yourself by raising the car and seeing if the rack makes noise.

i just heard the video, it sounds more than anything to me like your power steering pump is making sound, specialy when you were turning, if there is a leak i would get another opinion as to where, since it may not be a leak from the rack but a high pressure hose going from the pump to the rack, which would be cheaper.
1996mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 07:57 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks that's helpful I'll bring it somewhere else to get another opinion. It did start to become louder when turning and for now he just topped off all the fluids and I haven't heard the sound so I'm confident that was the problem. The part is only $100? I was looking around online and saw $250+.
Old 04-24-2013, 11:14 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

The rack maybe i was including my discount when i was estimating lol. However a pressure hose would be much cheaper. I say surf around on prices

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT