Future build - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-25-2013, 02:03 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
I'm putting together a build list that I'm going to put on my car in the next couple years. I plan on running a supercharger and am torn between the vortech V3 SI or a Kenne bell. Anyone have experience or preferences?? And what all needs to be done? I mean I know forged internals and I plan on upgrading my whole suspension. I've also been eyeing the Wilwood 6 piston brake kit for the fronts. Any good suggestions for cams?? Can I keep stock PI heads? Or would it be better for aftermarkets like trick flow?? my car is an automatic so any suggestions on what to do there?? And I should also say that I plan on keeping it streetable, I want it to be able to be taken to the grocery store if I need to but also to be a monster down the track. Sorry for such a long post but I know there's many of you guys out there that have done this a many times
BigB227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-25-2013, 08:47 AM   #2
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
KB or Vortech, either is good, depends what you like. The Vortech will be MUCH cheaper, have better top end and probably easier to install. The KB will make power instantly, not have quite as much top end and is more expensive but people love them because you can blow the tires off the car in almost any gear at a low RPM if you want. For brakes, just convert to the Cobra brakes unless you NEED to have some crazy road racing setup.

Basic generic PI build:

-Block gone through and .020 over
-Forged internals
-Stage 2 ported heads
-Comp 270 cams
-All the "bolt ons"

If KB you don't have to worry about the intake, if Vortech honestly the stock PI intake is fine. For your automatic, if you have a 99-03 car your 4r70w is good for about 500/500 hp/torque. If you are lucky and have an 04 you've got a 4r75w which is good for more and has a better pump. Either way do the J-mod, look on the TCCOA forums or their video on Youtube on how to do the J-mod. Car will shift much faster and harder, you'll bark the tires going into 2nd and possibly 3rd if you are flooring it. Oh, and a better stall converter will do wonders. A big power car with an automatic and a good aftermarket stall is going to stay streetable longer than a stick will and is going to be faster in a straight line than the stick will too.

Edit: There is also the Tork Tech kit which adapts the 2V for the Cobra M112 Eaton blower or any blower that goes onto an 03/04 Cobra really so Whipple and KB head units for the snake will work too. The kit is $2k sans blower brand new and you can get a good take off Cobra M112 for $300 all day on CL or Mustang forums. With that said, a good used Vortech is in the $1500 range blower included and is easier to install.
scottydsntknow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 12:44 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
KB or Vortech, either is good, depends what you like. The Vortech will be MUCH cheaper, have better top end and probably easier to install. The KB will make power instantly, not have quite as much top end and is more expensive but people love them because you can blow the tires off the car in almost any gear at a low RPM if you want. For brakes, just convert to the Cobra brakes unless you NEED to have some crazy road racing setup.

Basic generic PI build:

-Block gone through and .020 over
-Forged internals
-Stage 2 ported heads
-Comp 270 cams
-All the "bolt ons"

If KB you don't have to worry about the intake, if Vortech honestly the stock PI intake is fine. For your automatic, if you have a 99-03 car your 4r70w is good for about 500/500 hp/torque. If you are lucky and have an 04 you've got a 4r75w which is good for more and has a better pump. Either way do the J-mod, look on the TCCOA forums or their video on Youtube on how to do the J-mod. Car will shift much faster and harder, you'll bark the tires going into 2nd and possibly 3rd if you are flooring it. Oh, and a better stall converter will do wonders. A big power car with an automatic and a good aftermarket stall is going to stay streetable longer than a stick will and is going to be faster in a straight line than the stick will too.

Edit: There is also the Tork Tech kit which adapts the 2V for the Cobra M112 Eaton blower or any blower that goes onto an 03/04 Cobra really so Whipple and KB head units for the snake will work too. The kit is $2k sans blower brand new and you can get a good take off Cobra M112 for $300 all day on CL or Mustang forums. With that said, a good used Vortech is in the $1500 range blower included and is easier to install.
Thank you very much for the info!!! And I have an 03 so my auto is the 4R70W, and I think I will just upgrade to the cobra brakes. I'm definitely doing the J Mod and the stall converter, but I'm unsure of what RPM stall converter to get. The forged internals and comp cams are on my list to do. The only bolt on left for me I think is long tubes. I'm also still debating on the superchargers. I love the low end torque of the Kenne bell but the vortech also has its appeal plus the ease of install
BigB227 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT