CAI - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-25-2013, 11:33 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular
 
SilverPonyGT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: St. Louis
Region: Missouri
Posts: 105
CAI

Alright fellas thinking about getting an airaid CAI I have the cheap one from AM the sr chrome fender well, my questions are 1. Is it worth it to change I have a tuner to maximize gains 2 is plastic better than metal? 3 and is a non fender well like the airaid better?
SilverPonyGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 04-26-2013, 07:41 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular
 
1996mustang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Miami
Region: Florida
Posts: 1,013
Plastic is a bit better due to heat dissipation at least i think it is since k&n used plastic and jlt as well. A fender intake or cai is better since u will suck in cold air rather than hot air coming from a ram air intake like airraid. And yes woth a tune you would maximize your gains with the intake.

---------- Post added at 08:41 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:38 AM ----------

However the intake you have from sr will perform just as well to be frankly honest. The other debate is that aluminum keeps the cold air cool and may get engine bay temp to warm up the air. It will stick be cold air coming in to the motor regardless.imo i did an easy fix to both problems with metal is heat wrap the outside portion and you will maintain a better constant flow of cold air coming in fron the intake. Overall the sr intake is a good choice for your money its the same setup as a bbk cai minus the price for the bbk name. So you have a well worth intake.
__________________
1996 Mustang GT, 17x9 front and 17x10.5 cobra r replica rims, 255/40/17 front 285/40/17 rear at the moment,
o/r x-pipe flow master 40 series dump downs, cai/ram intake, 75mm c&l throttle body and plenum, pi heads and intake swap, msd wires, stock gears, untuned at the moment, no dyno numbers for now.
1996mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 08:40 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Region: Arkansas
Posts: 704
I'm inclined to agree with 96mustang here on plastic vs metal, but the physics argue otherwise.
At the velocity that air is passing through the tube, the ambient temperature is not sufficiently high enough to increase intake charge temperature. If it does, the movement of the air mass will serve to cool it back down anyways.
Think wind, moving air is cooler than stagnant air and you can have a cool breeze on a very hot day.
If the charge temperature does increase, it is likely a minimal increase and should have no ill effects.
I can go find research on this if anyone would like; I'm no professional physicist, but the math checks out.
BackPressure is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 04-26-2013, 08:52 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular
 
bullitt1075's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Capitola
Region: California
Posts: 1,634
Send a message via Skype™ to bullitt1075
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1996mustang View Post
Plastic is a bit better due to heat dissipation at least i think it is since k&n used plastic and jlt as well. A fender intake or cai is better since u will suck in cold air rather than hot air coming from a ram air intake like airraid. And yes woth a tune you would maximize your gains with the intake.

---------- Post added at 08:41 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:38 AM ----------

However the intake you have from sr will perform just as well to be frankly honest. The other debate is that aluminum keeps the cold air cool and may get engine bay temp to warm up the air. It will stick be cold air coming in to the motor regardless.imo i did an easy fix to both problems with metal is heat wrap the outside portion and you will maintain a better constant flow of cold air coming in fron the intake. Overall the sr intake is a good choice for your money its the same setup as a bbk cai minus the price for the bbk name. So you have a well worth intake.
I agree, you can heat wrap your metal intake, or plasti dip it like I did, to insulate it from under hood temps. I would save your $ for another mod.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2212382.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	507.6 KB
ID:	104326   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4106700731.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	513.3 KB
ID:	104327  

__________________
Proud owner of Bullitt #1075
bullitt1075 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 09:20 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular
 
theweekday's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: houston
Region: Texas
Posts: 569
Alright I have a question, so why on AM they get different HP gains with different tuners?
theweekday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 09:43 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular
 
1lowGT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Region: Missouri
Posts: 3,903
I agree with both..
__________________
2003 GT - full bolts ons, suspension, and drag radials
1998 cummins - 150hp injectors | FASS fuel kit | 4" straight pipe | 5" lift | BHAF | 20" wheels | edge juice w/ attitude | built auto trans with stall | closing in on 900tq | bigger turbo soon..

Follow me on instagram @nicknold for car and truck pictures
1lowGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 09:47 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular
 
1996mustang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Miami
Region: Florida
Posts: 1,013
Quote:
Originally Posted by theweekday View Post
Alright I have a question, so why on AM they get different HP gains with different tuners?
All cars are different whether they be the same year same make same model the way the engine was built or age of the engine would vary in hp ratings and gains as well as to what else the car has added on bolt on wise
__________________
1996 Mustang GT, 17x9 front and 17x10.5 cobra r replica rims, 255/40/17 front 285/40/17 rear at the moment,
o/r x-pipe flow master 40 series dump downs, cai/ram intake, 75mm c&l throttle body and plenum, pi heads and intake swap, msd wires, stock gears, untuned at the moment, no dyno numbers for now.
1996mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 11:53 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular
 
SilverPonyGT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: St. Louis
Region: Missouri
Posts: 105
Alright thanks guys for your input! Ill just save my mula maybe buy some gears instead!
SilverPonyGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 11:56 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular
 
Venomouz831's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Seaside
Region: California
Posts: 8,133
Yea stick with the sr intake
__________________
)02 Gt, Founder of WE2G
Venomouz831 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 12:30 PM   #10
Staff
Regular
Staff
 
scottydsntknow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: JB MDL
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 16,599
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1996mustang View Post
All cars are different whether they be the same year same make same model the way the engine was built or age of the engine would vary in hp ratings and gains as well as to what else the car has added on bolt on wise
And this is why I am a big advocate of dyno tunes vs mail in tunes.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 01:36 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular
 
theweekday's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: houston
Region: Texas
Posts: 569
What's mail in tunes, like over the Internet?
theweekday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 02:59 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular
 
1996mustang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Miami
Region: Florida
Posts: 1,013
Quote:
Originally Posted by theweekday View Post
What's mail in tunes, like over the Internet?
Yes cause they base the tunes on cars supposedly tuned with the same bolt ons. However too many variables are in play so not every car will get the maximum they could get. But on an average is what the tunes are rated for
__________________
1996 Mustang GT, 17x9 front and 17x10.5 cobra r replica rims, 255/40/17 front 285/40/17 rear at the moment,
o/r x-pipe flow master 40 series dump downs, cai/ram intake, 75mm c&l throttle body and plenum, pi heads and intake swap, msd wires, stock gears, untuned at the moment, no dyno numbers for now.
1996mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 03:12 PM   #13
ME Bloodhound
Staff
 
Soccerluvr4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Sacramento/Bay Area
Region: California
Posts: 14,672
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1996mustang View Post

Yes cause they base the tunes on cars supposedly tuned with the same bolt ons. However too many variables are in play so not every car will get the maximum they could get. But on an average is what the tunes are rated for
That's why they are decent for small bolt on cars, but not for cars with big mods like SC,TC, Cams ect...
__________________

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 04:01 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular
 
theweekday's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: houston
Region: Texas
Posts: 569
So basically if a shop uses a sct tuner, they can dyno tune the car for different tunes and load them on the tuner itself? Correct me if in wrong
theweekday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 05:50 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular
 
1996mustang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Miami
Region: Florida
Posts: 1,013
Quote:
Originally Posted by theweekday View Post
So basically if a shop uses a sct tuner, they can dyno tune the car for different tunes and load them on the tuner itself? Correct me if in wrong
Correct. A shop custom tines the car to your car with all that u have on it.
__________________
1996 Mustang GT, 17x9 front and 17x10.5 cobra r replica rims, 255/40/17 front 285/40/17 rear at the moment,
o/r x-pipe flow master 40 series dump downs, cai/ram intake, 75mm c&l throttle body and plenum, pi heads and intake swap, msd wires, stock gears, untuned at the moment, no dyno numbers for now.
1996mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


» Like Us On Facebook



09:51 AM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.