Help picking shortblock jdm vs mmr - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-26-2013, 02:35 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Help picking shortblock jdm vs mmr

I'm stuck between the Jdm 302e or the mmr 1000s.

Pros cons aluminum vs cast iron
My current motor is a Romeo other than flywheel will I encounter problems if new block is a Windsor
Pros cons Jdm vs mmr
Need to kind of make up my mind I'm lost.
For now I'm going to put the stock pi heads cam back on and have it tuned for it. Then trick flow top end later.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-26-2013, 09:43 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Nobody has any insight on the matter
Old 04-26-2013, 11:49 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
Mmr Stroker ..made 520HP and 600tq on a small 1.7 Kb and e85 tune and been abusing it for 2 years now
importkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-26-2013, 12:12 PM   #4
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
MMR has a lot of bad press but then again there are a ton of ppl running their motors with no issues. Never heard of JDM... only Japanese Domestic Motors lol. Any good shops local to you? Any aversion to ordering the parts yourself and assembling it yourself with just getting a shop to do the machine work on the block?

This is what I'm doing with my Teksid, having a local shop do the machine work for the block, checking/turning the forged Cobra crank and then I'll assemble the whole thing in my garage. Decent set of tools, a good torque wrench and you can build a motor pretty easily.
scottydsntknow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 12:32 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah no jdm unless u want a four banger v tech swap lol
Old 04-26-2013, 12:45 PM   #6
Staff
Regular
Staff

The hell, is JDM the JDM Engineering in NJ? If so I'm surprised I never heard of them, probably because I just assumed it was some ricer talking about a JDM part. Man, that is a really DUMB move on the owner's part to choose that name...

With that said, I may give them a call to get a quote on machine work for my Teksid if they do it.
Old 04-26-2013, 04:05 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: West Virgina
I used to support MMR fully but my buddy just had his brand new 4.75 stroker blow up on him with 300 miles on it. He sent it back, got 500 miles on the second one and it let go as well. No beating or banging on either. One let go on the interstate cruising at about 75 and the other blew up pulling out from a stop sign.

---------- Post added at 05:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:04 PM ----------

Look at Fastlane Motorsports
CodyNelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 04:26 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

He probably didn't break the motor in properly takes patience
Old 04-26-2013, 05:33 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Yes Jdm engineering in nj. And I priced out buying a block and rotating assembly plus machine work for strokes a built short block is to close in price. I've heard no neg reviews about Jdm mmr I've heard mixed. Bonus for Jdm is they are only like 1.5 hrs away from me I can save 400 bucks shipping. Jdm is tuning it with either shortblock

---------- Post added at 06:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:32 PM ----------

The guys name is Jim damaro or something like that so Jdm kinda makes sense
Old 04-26-2013, 10:32 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by importkiller View Post
He probably didn't break the motor in properly takes patience
This isn't our first time. It was broke in properly both times.
Old 04-27-2013, 03:24 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Shraderperformance.com

One of the best builders in NASCAR circles here locally in NASCAR country.
Old 04-27-2013, 09:07 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Any pros cons in aluminum 05+ block vs cast iron 03 cobra
Old 04-27-2013, 12:04 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Also vin shows windsor block motor valve covers and crank show romeo any idea
Old 04-27-2013, 09:27 PM   #14
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodyNelson View Post
This isn't our first time. It was broke in properly both times.
Yours isn't the first story I've heard about these guys. I don't like to base my opinions on a company off stuff I've read on the internet without actual firsthand experience with said company... However there was a thread on the Corral a month or two ago where a guy had an issue with them charging him $2k in machine work that was done BEFORE checking or cleaning or hot tanking the block. When asked, MMR themselves responded that "the buyer never asked for it". Who the hell doesn't at least clean the block up and do a check on it before doing any work to it? Heck most good shops just build in the magnaflux/block check into the price and require it so they aren't putting out ****ty motors even if it isn't technically their fault.

I dunno the whole thread was shady and the MMR guy was really dancing around giving a straight answer and when he finally did give somewhat of a straight answer it was "we didn't check the block because the guy said not to"... yeah... you are a machine shop, check the blocks... I've heard a LOT of other negative stuff secondhand but that's just it, stuff I've heard so I can't completely say they are a bad company, I just will personally never use them and that's my choice. I see a LOT of cars out there running MMR shortblocks with no issues but it seems that every time a shop built block grenades at low mileage it is 50/50 an MMR product.

Yet another reason I'm going to do all the work I possibly can on my motor. Besides the machine work, I need a $300 set of Terminator rods and pistons run $700 so $1k there plus the machine work on my crank. Then the seals/bearings/studs/bolts and I've got a fully forged shortblock for way less than the mail order guys and it honestly takes a few hours to install a crankshaft/rods/pistons if you have the right tools, a clean shop and the rings already filed. Also I'll know all clearances are correct, the torques were done properly and all the stuff I said I wanted was done because I'm doing it. Did I ever mention I DO NOT TRUST SHOPS?
Old 04-27-2013, 11:01 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post

Yours isn't the first story I've heard about these guys. I don't like to base my opinions on a company off stuff I've read on the internet without actual firsthand experience with said company... However there was a thread on the Corral a month or two ago where a guy had an issue with them charging him $2k in machine work that was done BEFORE checking or cleaning or hot tanking the block. When asked, MMR themselves responded that "the buyer never asked for it". Who the hell doesn't at least clean the block up and do a check on it before doing any work to it? Heck most good shops just build in the magnaflux/block check into the price and require it so they aren't putting out ****ty motors even if it isn't technically their fault.

I dunno the whole thread was shady and the MMR guy was really dancing around giving a straight answer and when he finally did give somewhat of a straight answer it was "we didn't check the block because the guy said not to"... yeah... you are a machine shop, check the blocks... I've heard a LOT of other negative stuff secondhand but that's just it, stuff I've heard so I can't completely say they are a bad company, I just will personally never use them and that's my choice. I see a LOT of cars out there running MMR shortblocks with no issues but it seems that every time a shop built block grenades at low mileage it is 50/50 an MMR product.

Yet another reason I'm going to do all the work I possibly can on my motor. Besides the machine work, I need a $300 set of Terminator rods and pistons run $700 so $1k there plus the machine work on my crank. Then the seals/bearings/studs/bolts and I've got a fully forged shortblock for way less than the mail order guys and it honestly takes a few hours to install a crankshaft/rods/pistons if you have the right tools, a clean shop and the rings already filed. Also I'll know all clearances are correct, the torques were done properly and all the stuff I said I wanted was done because I'm doing it. Did I ever mention I DO NOT TRUST SHOPS?
Couldn't agree with you more!
White03GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 09:56 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Check into Jdm for your machine work if ur local I haven't seen any negative reviews from stuff their putting out.
Old 04-28-2013, 11:57 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post

I know the thread you're referring to. If I were that guy I would have probably burnt their facility to the ground. Like you, I don't base things solely off the Internet but after 2 first hand experiences with their motors and customer service I have to say I believe most of what I've read about them. I know they can do great work but it seems to me they have become so big they just can't keep up the quality that made them who they were
Old 04-29-2013, 11:29 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Put my down payment on a Jdm engineering 302ef striker shortblock full forged rotating assembly Mach 1 aluminum block. Supposedly rated for 700 hp (rot assem rated at 1000 hp block at 700hp their numbers). Next decision to do their race port heads fully rebuilt n stage 2 cams or wait on heads and cams. They claim their race port flows better than trick flows heads and its roughly 1000 cheaper when u supply ur stock heads. Any thoughts
Old 04-30-2013, 05:51 PM   #19
Staff
Regular
Staff

TFS heads flow more out of the box than any PI head can safely be ported confirmed by multiple professional porters who have been doing this for a long time.

MHS Stage 2 heads will support a ****ton of power and they cost $1500 including the new heads. Food for thought.
Old 04-30-2013, 11:38 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Trickflow has a top end kit for 3100 heads fully assembled cam timing set and everything

---------- Post added at 12:38 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:38 AM ----------

I'll look into mhs though thanks
Old 04-30-2013, 11:47 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

I looked for flow numbers on TFT heads couldn't find anything? Also my engine builder hasn't given me the flow #s on their set. Which is 2200 To port my heads all new bells n whistles comp stage 2 cams. He claims a lot of their customers had tfs installed and they switched over but that could be a sales pitch
Old 05-01-2013, 10:04 AM   #22
Staff
Regular
Staff

Click me

Also from the MHS website about the TFS heads:

Heads as cast outflow any safely ported OEM 2V head on the planet.

This is common knowledge actually and coming from a place that has been porting for YEARS and proven to have great products that make big power.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT