Supercharge or Terminator - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-26-2013, 10:00 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Supercharge or Terminator

I'm 20.. I can either supercharge my Mach 1 or get a Terminator ..

The only Cons about getting a Terminator TO ME is I think the interior is just horrible , I hate those ugly seats. IRS is junk to me , they are known to have dead cylinders ( 6&8 ) and the mass majority of them are ragged out and modded.

I can do a eaton swap for a little over 2 grand and I've seen numbers from 420-440 rwhp with a safe tune. Or go procharged for 460+ rwhp
So that would be more than a stock terminator.. For most likely the same amount I would spend.
Some pros : I have a solid rear , Interior, and know my car isn't ragged out, I bought it completely stock not saying its better than the cobra forged out long block Lol. Just saying
Any thoughts ?
Slow4V is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-26-2013, 10:05 PM   #2
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Tennessee
All I can say is what a problem to have! Have you already found the termi you are considering? That is where I would start. If you find an unmolested one, then it's all about what you like and wanna do. Either way, keep up posted.
Tint, louvers, Shelby brake light cover, sequentials, brake vent ring delete, Shorty antenna, JLT cold air intake, BAMA tune, VMP 2.5 S/C pulley, Ford racing shifter, MRT OR-H, SLP loudmouths, BMR adj PHB, BMR LCA, Eibach Pro-Kit, cobra jet big oval TB.
Ubnbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 10:27 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Kenne belle ftw lol. Honestly what is the difference in a termi and a mach.... none in my opinion except termi is well fi. Now if i were in that position i know there are some kenne belles or whipples that would make that mach fly safely in the 450 range but do your research. But honestly i think that a centrifugal sc might be able to push out more. In whatever case u choose please keep us posted
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-26-2013, 10:29 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow4V View Post

The only Cons about getting a Terminator TO ME is I think the interior is just horrible , I hate those ugly seats. IRS is junk to me , they are known to have dead cylinders ( 6&8 ) and the mass majority of them are ragged out and modded.

I can do a eaton swap for a little over 2 grand and I've seen numbers from 420-440 rwhp with a safe tune. Or go procharged for 460+ rwhp
So that would be more than a stock terminator.. For most likely the same amount I would spend.
Some pros : I have a solid rear , Interior, and know my car isn't ragged out, I bought it completely stock not saying its better than the cobra forged out long block Lol. Just saying
Any thoughts ?
Personally, I'd rather make my car better than buy a "better" car. You never know what you're getting when you buy something from someone else, no matter how clean it seems.
BatmanUriah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 11:14 PM   #5
Loc: Austin,TX
Regular
Supporter

Region: Texas
Sounds a little negative to me,like you already have your mind made up. There are plenty of people that push 700 HP w/IRS and do just fine. The Termi is a better base to start with and with some simple pulley swaps and exhaust mods you can have a safe 470 or so HP. Its your car so do what makes you happy. Machs are awesome also but the Termi is a beast and you can find a unmolested one easier than you think.
DDTCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 03:52 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDTCM View Post
Sounds a little negative to me,like you already have your mind made up. There are plenty of people that push 700 HP w/IRS and do just fine. The Termi is a better base to start with and with some simple pulley swaps and exhaust mods you can have a safe 470 or so HP. Its your car so do what makes you happy. Machs are awesome also but the Termi is a beast and you can find a unmolested one easier than you think.
+1
The terminators have forged internals and infinitely more potential without having to rip the motor apart. Machs blow up around 500.
I adore Machs, but if I'm spending that kind of money, I want a car that can take the abuse without needing the have the bottom end rebuilt.
BackPressure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 10:03 PM   #7
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
1 - The Mach 1 uses the same internals as all the other 4.6s minus the Termi of course so you are still limited to the 400-450whp that every other non-termi 96-04 is limited to.

2 - All the C heads are prone to the cylinder overheat issue that you mention. Guess what kind of heads your mach has.

3 - IRS is fine, you just have to upgrade the bushings to not suck and get rid of wheel hop. In an all out 1/4 car, yeah go SRA but for a street/strip car IRS all the way.

4 - To each their own but I personally think you are smoking crack thinking the Cobra seats are ugly. But if you don't like them there are PLENTY of ppl who will give you $1k+ for them and then just turn around and put that towards a set of Recaros are Corbeaus or something.

5 - Terminator is the better base to start out with and if you're going to save money getting one vs supercharging yours it really is a no brainer.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 10:55 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
1 - The Mach 1 uses the same internals as all the other 4.6s minus the Termi of course so you are still limited to the 400-450whp that every other non-termi 96-04 is limited to.

2 - All the C heads are prone to the cylinder overheat issue that you mention. Guess what kind of heads your mach has.

3 - IRS is fine, you just have to upgrade the bushings to not suck and get rid of wheel hop. In an all out 1/4 car, yeah go SRA but for a street/strip car IRS all the way.

4 - To each their own but I personally think you are smoking crack thinking the Cobra seats are ugly. But if you don't like them there are PLENTY of ppl who will give you $1k+ for them and then just turn around and put that towards a set of Recaros are Corbeaus or something.

5 - Terminator is the better base to start out with and if you're going to save money getting one vs supercharging yours it really is a no brainer.
+1
White03GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 11:18 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Machs are nice stock, but if i were you id say its my car and im going boost.
MidnightBlueGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 06:01 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
I don't get it, the money you spend on buying a terminator and not doing any upgrades to it is well over what he would put into the mach. He could rebuild the engine procharge it and still be under the coat of having to sell the mach and buying a terminator. To me it seems like a big gimmick, i would rather have a car like the mach 1 that people know but don't expect it to be make 450hp. VS the terminator which people who know the car go yeah we know what its got. Make your car your own do something different and make your mach stand out upgrade that thing!
Old 04-28-2013, 09:06 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

if u sell the mach give me a call

Low2v
Horseplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 09:12 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Personnslly Im in the place man with this. Except I got a GT not a mach1. I was told by someone with an 03 cobra not the terminator but with 28,000 original miles if I gave him 4,000 cash plus my GT we would swap. I think Im going to keep my car and just buy his straight out then Ill have two. If I go that way I need to sell two vehicles though. Im 21 no need for 4 cars.
02GtRespect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 09:48 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02GtRespect View Post
Personnslly Im in the place man with this. Except I got a GT not a mach1. I was told by someone with an 03 cobra not the terminator but with 28,000 original miles if I gave him 4,000 cash plus my GT we would swap. I think Im going to keep my car and just buy his straight out then Ill have two. If I go that way I need to sell two vehicles though. Im 21 no need for 4 cars.
An 03 cobra is a terminator though
Matticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 09:57 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post

+1000

Termi all the way.
95GTvert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 10:04 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matticus View Post

An 03 cobra is a terminator though
+10000
ShelbyGT500B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 03:57 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Oh didnt think that all 03 cobras were terminators I only thought it was the black ones. Learn something new.
02GtRespect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 04:08 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02GtRespect View Post
Oh didnt think that all 03 cobras were terminators I only thought it was the black ones. Learn something new.
03-04 cobras are terminators.
White03GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 04:21 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by White03GT View Post

03-04 cobras are terminators.
Yep
Matticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 08:35 AM   #19
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Send a message via AIM to SpectorV
as far as practicality buy the terminator.... hands down better way to go.

1. You keep the value up (supercharing the mach will not increase its value, and the mods wont bring back any real value if sold later (maybe 50% of orig investment).

2. The 03/04 will be worth more down the road and has much more potential

3. Less hassle (easy bolt ons = 450 rwhp/tq and its far safer, you take a risk supercharging the mach, would you be able to handle it if it blew the motor up or would it sit forever to get fixed?
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 10:43 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectorV View Post

1. You keep the value up (supercharing the mach will not increase its value, and the mods wont bring back any real value if sold later (maybe 50% of orig investment).

3. Less hassle (easy bolt ons = 450 rwhp/tq and its far safer, you take a risk supercharging the mach, would you be able to handle it if it blew the motor up or would it sit forever to get fixed?
+1
95GTvert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 10:51 AM   #21
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
Quote:

+10000 power isn't everything, you need to think about practicality and how it's value will fair down the road, along with reliability.

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 11:39 AM   #22
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow4V

Any thoughts ?
What is this dead cylinder problem you are referring to? News to me and I bought my cobra in 07
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 11:49 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:

I agree. You could also surprise the hell out of people with a blown Mach though. Depends what you want to do! If it was me, I'd get the terminator in a heartbeat. But that's just me.
Old 04-29-2013, 12:01 PM   #24
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Honestly if you are going to rebuild the engine and supercharge, just sell it and make several $thousands back "downgrading" to a clean GT. Put that money into a forged motor, some ported heads and a supercharger setup. If you want a car absolutely nobody will expect to be quick make it a 96-98 4.6L. Nothing is disrespected more in the latemodel mustang world than a 96-98 with a GT 4.6L badge. You can get them for peanuts, even a very clean one. With the Mach you need to upgrade the:

1-Motor
2-Trans (unless its an auto)
3-Rear
4-Suspension

Same damn thing with the GT except you'll be starting out with a stupid cheap base and have the same results when done. The 2V vs 4V gap is diminishing more and more especially when you throw power adders into the mix. Hitting 550-600+whp with a ported PI 2V car is actually pretty commonplace these days...
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 12:45 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
TERMI!!!!!
Red_venom_01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 04:26 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

I gotta agree termi is a monster but a blown mach is not common atleast in my area.
Uhh taken is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT