Gears or Suspension? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-29-2013, 06:51 PM   #1
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
Gears or Suspension?

So i'm pretty much done with visual mods, now i'm going to start saving up for some performance. So my question is what next thing should i do for performance? I currently have an MGW Shifter, K&N intake, 91 BAMA tune, and O/R exhaust. I'll have to save up for a while for gears because all the shops in my area cost an arm and almost a leg for install (like 400 for just labor), i was thinking suspension though because i have a hard time hooking up at the track (yes, i know ease into it). I've been to the strip 2 times but i'm thinking of doing some autocross next.

So what do y'all think I should do next? Keep in mind i have a Bullitt which already has slightly better suspension than the GTs. I also have all season street tires, so traction is a pain in the *** anyway.;

PS: I'm a broke high school student about to go to college so funds are pretty small. And my friend wants to race at the strip and autocross after he gets out of boot camp in like 7 months and has his own car (still in High School still also).

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-29-2013, 07:34 PM   #2
slow281
Regular
Supporter

Region: Nebraska
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post
So i'm pretty much done with visual mods, now i'm going to start saving up for some performance. So my question is what next thing should i do for performance? I currently have an MGW Shifter, K&N intake, 91 BAMA tune, and O/R exhaust. I'll have to save up for a while for gears because all the shops in my area cost an arm and almost a leg for install (like 400 for just labor), i was thinking suspension though because i have a hard time hooking up at the track (yes, i know ease into it). I've been to the strip 2 times but i'm thinking of doing some autocross next.

So what do y'all think I should do next? Keep in mind i have a Bullitt which already has slightly better suspension than the GTs. I also have all season street tires, so traction is a pain in the *** anyway.;

PS: I'm a broke high school student about to go to college so funds are pretty small. And my friend wants to race at the strip and autocross after he gets out of boot camp in like 7 months and has his own car (still in High School still also).
Slicks
2003 V6 - Zinc Yellow
1990 LX 2.3 - project
sixpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 07:37 PM   #3
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixpac View Post

Slicks
You missed the point of me saying that I want to so some autocross, pretty sure slicks won't help me much with that. I want something that will help me on a daily basis also.

HID end all thread
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-29-2013, 08:07 PM   #4
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
The Bullitt has a much better suspension than the GT does right from the factory. Its still a crappy stock system but its lower and its better. Gears should be first, then subframes, then worry about suspension. If you're going to autox or road race the car you're probably going to want to do the MM front coilover kit, IRS with a FTBR kit out back and go from there. Or get a SLA but that's ridiculously expensive.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 08:22 PM   #5
ME Bloodhound
Staff

It's not going to be serious road racing, it's more for pleasure racing. I want gears also but the reason I am thinking suspension now is because it will probably be around $700 for gears for me and I only make like $300/month so it's a pretty serious budget build

HID end all thread
Old 04-29-2013, 08:26 PM   #6
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Ugh, another $700 gear install. I'd learn to do it myself if I were you. I would have but a shop did the gears on my 95 Cobra for $150 (2 hrs of labor back a few years ago) and my 98 came with them done already.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 08:28 PM   #7
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Ugh, another $700 gear install. I'd learn to do it myself if I were you. I would have but a shop did the gears on my 95 Cobra for $150 (2 hrs of labor back a few years ago) and my 98 came with them done already.
Labor alone around here is $400, and I could barely install my own mid pipe, I'm not touching gears. On a level 1-10 for mechanical skill I'm at like a 2-3.

HID end all thread
Old 04-29-2013, 08:32 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
H&R race springs! You sound like you've made up your mind on suspension anyways so slap some springs in it. They won't lower you too much more and it should help keep you flatter in the turns. Or you could pick up a good set of sway bars
Mile high JDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 08:35 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

well if your gearing towards autocross then I would focus on suspension then. The drawback to adding suspension especially with handling then you will increase NVH and will lose ride quality. JUst my 2 cents.

Not sure what your stating by pleasure racing??
Old 04-29-2013, 08:36 PM   #10
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDF View Post
H&R race springs! You sound like you've made up your mind on suspension anyways so slap some springs in it. They won't lower you too much more and it should help keep you flatter in the turns. Or you could pick up a good set of sway bars
I was thinking maybe Eibach Sportlines. And maybe then maybe some good subframe connectors.

HID end all thread
Old 04-29-2013, 08:38 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I was thinking maybe Eibach Sportlines. And maybe then maybe some good subframe connectors.
Yes Full length subframe connectors will be a good starting point for your suspension needs and will eliminate chassis flex and allow the suspension to work correctly instead of the chassis.
Old 04-29-2013, 09:49 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via Skype™ to bullitt1075
If you are looking at springs, I would look at spring rates. H&R race springs were some of the only springs that provided a stiffer spring rate than the OEM Bullitt springs when I bought mine. Plus sport or progressive rate springs are probably not the best spring for autocross. I would definitely look into adding some negative camber also. Camber bolts are only $25 and can give you some good camber adjustment.
Proud owner of Bullitt #1075
bullitt1075 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 06:17 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
i have H&R race springs on mine, firm ride and handles great
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	car 001.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	1.37 MB
ID:	105158  
2003 gt, sct custom tuned by VMP, k&n fipk, upr o/r x-pipe, dynomax turbo mufflers, mm c/c plates, mm full length subframe connectors, h&r race springs, bullit rims 18x10 rear 18x9 front, 4.10 gears, 20% tint, 9 inch shorty antenna
edross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 06:53 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Quote:

373 Gears then Control arms
Slow4V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 11:13 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Send a message via AIM to SpectorV
suspension makes a HUGE difference in performance (if you have issues with traction or auto x in general)

if your car is getting older (yup it is same with mine....) you may not realize how great the car and feel with refreshed/upgraded suspension parts as well.

Keep it cheap, go with progressive rate springs (race springs from H&R are GREAT and 700_ rate is nice) and new shocks/struts valved to match springs. Then CC plates for alignment, that should get you started (ignore/remove or replace OEM for quad shocks)

for gears with stock 3.27 you really only feel a noticable increase at 4.10s else its kind of "meh i expected more" so keep that in mind (you should see .25 faster times with 3.27 vs 3.73 not including crossing the line with diff gear shift points just acceleration point A to B)

install on gears is not something to do on your on and may as well rebuild tlok since it comes out anyway.... so thats more to factor in

for suspension you can do it all minus aligment, install is rather easy
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 11:26 AM   #16
Site Sponsor
Sponsor

Region: Pennsylvania
OP,

Gears and LCA's would be great. However, if you're running on All-Season tires, then that's your biggest restriction. I think the best method would be to save for some performance tires. That's the best way to run quicker drag times and autocross times in your position.

Hope this helps!

Shane
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST
WIN A $1500 MMD STYLING PACKAGE
Free Same-Day Shipping!
AMWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 02:29 PM   #17
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectorV View Post
suspension makes a HUGE difference in performance (if you have issues with traction or auto x in general)

if your car is getting older (yup it is same with mine....) you may not realize how great the car and feel with refreshed/upgraded suspension parts as well.

Keep it cheap, go with progressive rate springs (race springs from H&R are GREAT and 700_ rate is nice) and new shocks/struts valved to match springs. Then CC plates for alignment, that should get you started (ignore/remove or replace OEM for quad shocks)

for gears with stock 3.27 you really only feel a noticable increase at 4.10s else its kind of "meh i expected more" so keep that in mind (you should see .25 faster times with 3.27 vs 3.73 not including crossing the line with diff gear shift points just acceleration point A to B)

install on gears is not something to do on your on and may as well rebuild tlok since it comes out anyway.... so thats more to factor in

for suspension you can do it all minus aligment, install is rather easy
That's exactly what I was thinking. I know that since my car has 140k on it some freshening up would help.

---------- Post added at 12:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:27 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMShaneLesky View Post
OP,

Gears and LCA's would be great. However, if you're running on All-Season tires, then that's your biggest restriction. I think the best method would be to save for some performance tires. That's the best way to run quicker drag times and autocross times in your position.

Hope this helps!

Shane
I will eventually get new tires, but I'm going to try to make my current ones last as long as possible. No point in buying new tires if I'm broke and these ones have plenty of life left. Now when I get close to needing to replace them I'll probably save up and get some new wheels (staggered) and competition tires.

HID end all thread
Old 04-30-2013, 02:42 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Send a message via AIM to SpectorV
weld in full length sub frames, H&R race, shocks/struts valved for H&R Race, Maximum Motorsports CC plates, Endlinks (shorter ones).

A take off vert K member brace, I wonder if they work and if useful, you can get MM's brace as well thats stiffer~ but not sure how much it helps, same for Strut brace.

That would be a good start then:

Lower control arms (Delrin bushings over Poly for sure, spherical bushings would be best IMO), Heavy Duty Uppers (keep rubber bushings dont go stiff here it creates bind, get some Heavy Duty Ford Racing uppers OR factory 96-98 Cobra uppers (same thing), maybe look into some front rack bushings and 03/04 cobra A Arms (angled diff and should be cheap read up to see if worth it though not sure on gains), maybe find some used bigger sway bars front/rear to match up with what you want the car to handle like OEM on yours are bigger I think so you may be fine here.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 02:48 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Just to throw some parts and numbers at you that you can easily put on yourself. Steeda front strut tower bar $200, Steeda rear strut tower bar $100, MM 4 point K member brace about $100, and SWARR Bar (goes on the rear axle) about $100. All of these I put on one at a time and noticed a nice increase in handling. And all of these only take about 1-2 hours to install. I don't remember the exact price on this but it's pretty close.
Eturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 02:51 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

he isnt gonna want to spend 4-5k on an SLA setup.
Old 04-30-2013, 09:10 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Bullitts came with the bolt on vert subframe connectors from the factory. They are pretty flimsy though.
Old 04-30-2013, 09:12 PM   #22
slow281
Regular
Supporter

Region: Nebraska
Quote:
Originally Posted by bullitt1075 View Post
Bullitts came with the bolt on vert subframe connectors from the factory. They are pretty flimsy though.
Can I get bolt on sub frames?
2003 V6 - Zinc Yellow
1990 LX 2.3 - project
sixpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 09:29 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixpac View Post

Can I get bolt on sub frames?
Yes, they came on all convertibles. But the weld in ones are superior.
Old 04-30-2013, 10:18 PM   #24
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Can the H&R race springs be cut? I want a little lower than they will give me.

HID end all thread
Old 04-30-2013, 10:39 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

I dont recommend cutting progressively would springs. Just my opinion.
Old 04-30-2013, 11:22 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Can the H&R race springs be cut? I want a little lower than they will give me.
H&R race springs are linear rate or standard rate springs. They can be cut but I would be careful about cutting too much.
Old 04-30-2013, 11:26 PM   #27
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:

H&R race springs are linear rate or standard rate springs. They can be cut but I would be careful about cutting too much.
Yea I only want a little bit more than they give... The estimated drop they give on AM is that with or without isolators?

HID end all thread
Old 04-30-2013, 11:27 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

I agree they could be a little lower, but I'm not sure I want to cut such a nice set of springs.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-2914057628.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	500.4 KB
ID:	105354  
Old 04-30-2013, 11:29 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I agree they could be a little lower, but I'm not sure I want to cut such a nice set of springs.
I have the polyurethane isolators front and rear and H&R race springs.
Old 04-30-2013, 11:41 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
I removed my front isolators when I had mine and I think it had a great stance to it.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ForumRunner_20130430_224038.png
Views:	54
Size:	643.5 KB
ID:	105358   Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130430_224112.png
Views:	53
Size:	499.7 KB
ID:	105359  

Name:	ForumRunner_20130430_224139.png
Views:	71
Size:	568.0 KB
ID:	105360  
Mile high JDF is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT