Suspension question - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-29-2013, 09:06 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular
 
BigB227's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: West Palm Beach
Region: Florida
Posts: 1,120
Suspension question

I really want to upgrade my suspension next but if I get this handling package what else would I need???

http://www.americanmuscle.com/eibach...rt-9404gt.html

Will I need cater/camber plates with this package?? Do I need a bump steer kit???

Because all of that gets pretty expensive lol but I don't want to completely lower my car to the ground, I need to get in and out of my driveway so I don't want anything that dramatically lowers it but I want to upgrade my crappy stock suspension.
BigB227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 04-29-2013, 09:11 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular
 
fastmustangs1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 541
Do you have subframe connectors welded in yet? That suspension package is ok I dont know the spring rates off hand with those springs. CC Plates wont be a bad idea for alignment purposes. Bumpsteer kit should b determined after you get get your suspension installed you can park your car on a flat surface and check you outer tiered angles relative to your front arms. The tierods should be parrelal to the control arms so if it is off then you will get bump steer issues.
__________________
fastmustangs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 09:15 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular
 
BigB227's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: West Palm Beach
Region: Florida
Posts: 1,120
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastmustangs1 View Post
Do you have subframe connectors welded in yet? That suspension package is ok I dont know the spring rates off hand with those springs. CC Plates wont be a bad idea for alignment purposes. Bumpsteer kit should b determined after you get get your suspension installed you can park your car on a flat surface and check you outer tiered angles relative to your front arms. The tierods should be parrelal to the control arms so if it is off then you will get bump steer issues.
No I only have the stock subframes that came with the convertibles so that's on my list and I was thinking that I'd have to get the caster/camber plates so thanks for reassuring me and yeah so if it aligns good I don't need the bump steer but if it doesn't then ill have to get it right?
BigB227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 04-29-2013, 09:24 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular
 
fastmustangs1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 541
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigB227 View Post
No I only have the stock subframes that came with the convertibles so that's on my list and I was thinking that I'd have to get the caster/camber plates so thanks for reassuring me and yeah so if it aligns good I don't need the bump steer but if it doesn't then ill have to get it right?
CC plates would be a great idea in fact because it would allow you to run an additional 1-2 degrees of positive castor on your setup so you dont have to run huge amounts of neg camber, which will kill tire life in the long run.
__________________
fastmustangs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 09:35 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular
 
BigB227's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: West Palm Beach
Region: Florida
Posts: 1,120
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastmustangs1 View Post

CC plates would be a great idea in fact because it would allow you to run an additional 1-2 degrees of positive castor on your setup so you dont have to run huge amounts of neg camber, which will kill tire life in the long run.
Oh ok cool thank you very much and do you think this is a good set up??

http://www.americanmuscle.com/sr-cas...-kit-9404.html
BigB227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 09:37 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular
 
fastmustangs1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 541
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigB227 View Post
Im not to familiar with SR springs though. Not sure what the spring rates on those as well. What are your goals for your car down the road.
__________________
fastmustangs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 09:41 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular
 
BigB227's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: West Palm Beach
Region: Florida
Posts: 1,120
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastmustangs1 View Post

Im not to familiar with SR springs though. Not sure what the spring rates on those as well. What are your goals for your car down the road.
For now I'm going to be staying N/A but in a couple years I plan to run a supercharger, been looking at Vortech v3 SI
BigB227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 09:43 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular
 
fastmustangs1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 541
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigB227 View Post
For now I'm going to be staying N/A but in a couple years I plan to run a supercharger, been looking at Vortech v3 SI
I would recommend going to H&R Super Sport Springs. You will need a good set of struts and shocks with those springs.

Im running Koni Single Adjustable shocks on my car!
__________________
fastmustangs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 09:48 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular
 
BigB227's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: West Palm Beach
Region: Florida
Posts: 1,120
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastmustangs1 View Post

I would recommend going to H&R Super Sport Springs. You will need a good set of struts and shocks with those springs.
What would be good struts that you would recommend?? And I have KYB Gas a just rear shocks on now? They any good to keep??
BigB227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 09:50 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular
 
fastmustangs1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 541
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigB227 View Post
What would be good struts that you would recommend?? And I have KYB Gas a just rear shocks on now? They any good to keep??
KYBs not so good with higher spring rate H&Rs. I would recommend saving for either Bilstein or Koni shocks. They are great quality and offer a warranty as well.
__________________
fastmustangs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 09:52 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular
 
BigB227's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: West Palm Beach
Region: Florida
Posts: 1,120
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastmustangs1 View Post

KYBs not so good with higher spring rate H&Rs. I would recommend saving for either Bilstein or Koni shocks. They are great quality and offer a warranty as well.
Ok thank you for the advice, would it be unwise to drive with KYBs if I got these springs until I saved up for them or should I install them at the same time??
BigB227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 09:54 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular
 
joedelpen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Las Vegas
Region: Nevada
Posts: 164
Camber castor plates and maybe rear upper and lower control arm. It will put those rear wheels to the ground. I'm looking to purchase the same kit with what I've suggested, also including a strut tower brace and a few other thing for my 05 convertible.
__________________
POLICE PROTECT AND SERVE THIER WALLETS
joedelpen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 09:56 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular
 
BigB227's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: West Palm Beach
Region: Florida
Posts: 1,120
Quote:
Originally Posted by joedelpen View Post
Camber castor plates and maybe rear upper and lower control arm. It will put those rear wheels to the ground. I'm looking to purchase the same kit with what I've suggested, also including a strut tower brace and a few other thing for my 05 convertible.
Yeah I eventually want to upgrade me rear UCA and LCA
BigB227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 09:58 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular
 
fastmustangs1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 541
Quote:
Originally Posted by joedelpen View Post
Camber castor plates and maybe rear upper and lower control arm. It will put those rear wheels to the ground. I'm looking to purchase the same kit with what I've suggested, also including a strut tower brace and a few other thing for my 05 convertible.
I wouldn't change to aftermarket Upper control Arms. They will increase to much bind in handling. Just replace OEM rubber bushings if need be. Urethane UCA bushings will put to much stress on the torque boxes.
__________________
fastmustangs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 10:00 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular
 
BigB227's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: West Palm Beach
Region: Florida
Posts: 1,120
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastmustangs1 View Post

I wouldn't change to aftermarket Upper control Arms. They will increase to much bind in handling. Just replace OEM rubber bushings if need be. Urethane UCA bushings will put to much stress on the torque boxes.
Oh really??? I did not know that thanks
BigB227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 10:02 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular
 
fastmustangs1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 541
No problem good luck. Got anymore questions you can pm me.
__________________
fastmustangs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 10:04 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular
 
joedelpen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Las Vegas
Region: Nevada
Posts: 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastmustangs1 View Post

I wouldn't change to aftermarket Upper control Arms. They will increase to much bind in handling. Just replace OEM rubber bushings if need be. Urethane UCA bushings will put to much stress on the torque boxes.
That's good info. I'll keep that in mind. Thank
__________________
POLICE PROTECT AND SERVE THIER WALLETS
joedelpen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 10:05 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular
 
BigB227's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: West Palm Beach
Region: Florida
Posts: 1,120
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastmustangs1 View Post
No problem good luck. Got anymore questions you can pm me.
Thank you very much and I will if I have anymore questions
BigB227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 10:05 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular
 
fastmustangs1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 541
That is for mustangs with a 4 link setup pre-2005 cars.
__________________
fastmustangs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 10:06 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular
 
joedelpen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Las Vegas
Region: Nevada
Posts: 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastmustangs1 View Post
That is for mustangs with a 4 link setup pre-2005 cars.


---------- Post added at 08:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:06 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastmustangs1 View Post
That is for mustangs with a 4 link setup pre-2005 cars.
Oh ok. Cool
__________________
POLICE PROTECT AND SERVE THIER WALLETS
joedelpen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 10:07 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular
 
fastmustangs1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 541
2005 is the first year Ford went to a 3 link set up with a panhard bar standard.
__________________
fastmustangs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 10:22 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular
 
joedelpen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Las Vegas
Region: Nevada
Posts: 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastmustangs1 View Post
2005 is the first year Ford went to a 3 link set up with a panhard bar standard.
I just bought mine in amazing condition with only 60,000 on it. So I'm just learning the mustang family. I usually always drove Riggs lifted for dessert fun. But continuos broken part from being ballsy is more expensive then building a car for speed and show eventually. Anyways thank for the info ill put it to good use.
__________________
POLICE PROTECT AND SERVE THIER WALLETS
joedelpen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 10:54 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular
 
fastmustangs1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 541
Im gonna revalve my konis for H&R race springs go to smaller diameter front sway bar and install my panhard bar.
__________________
fastmustangs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 11:02 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular
 
joedelpen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Las Vegas
Region: Nevada
Posts: 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastmustangs1 View Post
Im gonna revalve my konis for H&R race springs go to smaller diameter front sway bar and install my panhard bar.
Nice. So you know a lot about mustangs? Or cars basically in general. I work on my own car all the time as long as the funds can keep me doing what a love. I'm actually working on getting in to a custom shop of some sort. I'll soon have the mustang I see in my head though no doubt.
__________________
POLICE PROTECT AND SERVE THIER WALLETS
joedelpen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 11:04 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular
 
fastmustangs1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 541
Quote:
Originally Posted by joedelpen View Post
Nice. So you know a lot about mustangs? Or cars basically in general. I work on my own car all the time as long as the funds can keep me doing what a love. I'm actually working on getting in to a custom shop of some sort. I'll soon have the mustang I see in my head though no doubt.
I was a pro rc driver and spent years with suspension engineerings and lots of stuff
transfers over to autos.
__________________
fastmustangs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 11:11 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular
 
joedelpen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Las Vegas
Region: Nevada
Posts: 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastmustangs1 View Post

I was a pro rc driver and spent years with suspension engineerings and lots of stuff
transfers over to autos.
Sweet! What I would do to have a chance to learn the more in depth mechanics. Las Vegas is hard to do anything cause so many people are out for themselves. You know. I guess I keep taking thinks apart and putting them together right and take knowledge here and there from guys like yourself I'll be ok... Thanks for sharing info "fastmustang1" always appreciate a little bit more stuff to cram in my brain.
__________________
POLICE PROTECT AND SERVE THIER WALLETS
joedelpen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 11:15 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular
 
fastmustangs1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 541
Quote:
Originally Posted by joedelpen View Post
Sweet! What I would do to have a chance to learn the more in depth mechanics. Las Vegas is hard to do anything cause so many people are out for themselves. You know. I guess I keep taking thinks apart and putting them together right and take knowledge here and there from guys like yourself I'll be ok... Thanks for sharing info "fastmustang1" always appreciate a little bit more stuff to cram in my brain.
no problem lol.
__________________
fastmustangs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 10:08 AM   #28
AmericanMuscle.com
Sponsor
 
AMDanBailer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Region: Pennsylvania
Posts: 2,878
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigB227 View Post
I really want to upgrade my suspension next but if I get this handling package what else would I need???

Eibach Mustang Pro-System-Plus (94-04 V8 Convertible) 3530.680 - Free Shipping!

Will I need cater/camber plates with this package?? Do I need a bump steer kit???

Because all of that gets pretty expensive lol but I don't want to completely lower my car to the ground, I need to get in and out of my driveway so I don't want anything that dramatically lowers it but I want to upgrade my crappy stock suspension.
All of this information being tossed around in here is great! You could run any of the different variations of Springs/Strut Combo's that you guys talked about. You could also run the Eibach Pro-System that you linked to! That kit is great and is definitely one of our most popular suspension kits.

Since the Pro-Kit will only lower you about 1.3" in the front and 1.4" in the rear, you actually won't need Caster Camber plates just yet. Anything more than 1.5" in the front will throw off your Camber enough to require them! Just an Alignment will do for anything less than 1.5 ".

I hope this helps! Please let me know if you have any questions or need some assistance in the near future. Our Mustang Experts are here Monday-Friday from 9AM-9PM EST and Saturdays from 9AM-5:30PM EST. If you want to hit them up, their number is 866.727.1266. I can also have one of them call you directly.

-Dan
__________________
Dan Bailer | AmericanMuscle.com
Toll Free: 866.727.1266| Mon-Fri 9AM-9PM Sat 10AM-4PM EST
Bama Direct: 888.226.9764| Mon-Fri 9AM-5:30PM EST
FREE SAME-DAY SHIPPING IN THE US-48 AND PRICE MATCHING!
AMDanBailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 10:16 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular
 
BigB227's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: West Palm Beach
Region: Florida
Posts: 1,120
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMDanBailer View Post

All of this information being tossed around in here is great! You could run any of the different variations of Springs/Strut Combo's that you guys talked about. You could also run the Eibach Pro-System that you linked to! That kit is great and is definitely one of our most popular suspension kits.

Since the Pro-Kit will only lower you about 1.3" in the front and 1.4" in the rear, you actually won't need Caster Camber plates just yet. Anything more than 1.5" in the front will throw off your Camber enough to require them! Just an Alignment will do for anything less than 1.5 ".

I hope this helps! Please let me know if you have any questions or need some assistance in the near future. Our Mustang Experts are here Monday-Friday from 9AM-9PM EST and Saturdays from 9AM-5:30PM EST. If you want to hit them up, their number is 866.727.1266. I can also have one of them call you directly.

-Dan
Great info thank you very much Dan!!! An I have been considering the eibach pro system so I don't get lowered too much
BigB227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 10:32 AM   #30
Registered Member
Regular
 
DaBluedude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Region: Canada
Posts: 1,996
I've installed 2 eibach pro kit plus systems. The anti roll bars make a huggggeeeee difference. Doing the shocks struts springs all with a system designed to work together is a big plus. If you are going to keep running isolaters (and I suggest you do!) then you will probably get away without needing a set of cc plates or a Bumpsteer kit. Personally I got both. You can really dial in the suspension setup with them. My overall drop was only a little over an inch. Which I like. I used the stock isolaters off the stock springs because poly isolaters squeak like crazy. I had to make new lower front isolaters which I used 3/4" inner diameter rubber heater hose for. 6$ and it's quiet and a perfect fit. The pro plus kit really wakes the car up in the corners. I still suggest the cc and Bumpsteer kit but I understand money is big. I had huge Bumpsteer with my wider front tires and hated driving the car without them. As for rear end other stuff. The rear upper and lower control arms are a big liability. I switched to a full tubular design set and it really helps plant the power. A definite buy imo and they are pretty cheap. As a tip though, have a shop do these. Getting my lower axle bolts out was a huge pain in the ***. Had to use an impact hammer and it took forever. No way I would have gotten it out in my garage. Oh and finally, subframe connectors. Couldn't recommend them more. They're cheap, give you a good jacking point and stiffen your ride up. Have them welded in.
__________________
2003 Mach 1
DaBluedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 10:57 AM   #31
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular
 
SpectorV's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Region: Alabama
Posts: 26,049
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV
you really wont need a bumpsteer kit overall (ive never needed one and I am droped 2 inches or more). If you notice the road driving you around consider it but you wont need it up front

Get GOOD caster/camber plates, most dont allow enough adjustment. Maximum Motorsport 4 bolt have a great warranty and allow a huge adjustment range (and have a spherical bushing to allow better strut shaft movement)

Other than shocks/springs (shocks/struts need to be valved to the spring rate for best results, if your keep a near stock rate you can run your OEM shocks/struts just research this and determine your goal you can always upgrade later if your OEM stuff is in good shape but it makes the ride better if they are working right vs worn out!)

you can look into Endlinks (for the sway bar since it will be up higher due to the taller factory ones going upwards as you lower the car, they are cheap also)

Drive a bit like 200 miles to let settle then get it aligned and get a print out of the specs to see if they actually got you in tolerance or just got you "good enough" and charged you the full price for nothing....
__________________
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 02:49 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular
 
fastmustangs1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 541
some great info to consider.
__________________
fastmustangs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 04:46 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular
 
Rejekt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Clayton
Region: North Carolina
Posts: 78
I went with H&R Super Sport springs, Maximum Motorsports caster camber kit, and Tokico shocks / struts and have been extremely happy with them. The car is beautiful in turns and the stance is perfect with my 18's.

However, the SS springs do lower it a good amount and you have to be careful going over bumps and into / out of dips.
Rejekt is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

« Tranny leak? | Ma »
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


» Like Us On Facebook



10:43 PM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.