02' GT Random Noise?! - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-30-2013, 11:11 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
02' GT Random Noise?!

I have a 2002 Mustang GT coupe that runs in tip-top shape! Nothing wrong with it at all. Runs and drives smooth. Here's my problem. When I bought the car used it came with the Mach 1000 Audio System already in it with 10" Subs in the trunk. For the past couple of days there has been a light buzz every now and then in the rear speakers that are just below the back glass. It seems to only make this buzz when the front electric fan kicks on usually from using the windshield defrost/air conditioning, but I'm not 100% sure though. I don't know if something is wrong with the speaker system, the subs, or what. I have also been told that it could be a "noise filter", possibly in the dual exhaust, that has quit working all of a sudden. If you get down to the exhaust and listen, there is also a very strange noise it makes as well (it can't really be described) besides the typical rumble it should make/have. Once this noise starts, it is very consistent unless I turn the volume all the way down to 0, then it quits through the speakers ONLY. Can anyone help me figure this out by any chance? I appreciate your help!
BrandonMcCoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-01-2013, 09:33 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
This is going to sound crazy, however while seated in the driver's seat bang on the floor with the flat of your left foot, just aft of the dead pedal--do this 3 or 4 times and see if the hum goes away (or gets worse).

There is a connector in the sub woofer feed line sort of below/behind the dead pedal; it gets slightly corroded and causes the hum. Banging on the floor jostles the wires/connector and makes them conduct better (or sometimes worse) either fixing or worsening the noise.

The fix is to pull back the carpet, disconnect and clean the conenctor, and put it back together with some CRC 2-26, DeoxIT, or dielectric grease...

New ride (7/1/2013) 1998 Mercedes SL500-5.0L 32V VVT 326/347 HP/tq
cliffyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 09:45 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

+1 on cliffys suggestion, my car was doing the same and it was that problem and also never a bad idea to check your alternator cause mine had an open diode and caused all kinda of humming in my stereo system
BigB227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-01-2013, 10:44 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Oh wow! Okay! I will definitely try that the next time I hear it! This may be a whole different thing I'm hearing, but is it normal to hear about the same pitched noise through the exhaust system? (The motor runs great. Smooth idle and everything.) I looked in my trunk to see if I could hear this buzz back there and I noticed I heard it really loud through both dual exhaust. So this means what ever this other noise is it must be in or coming from the motor. Is this normal or what?
Old 01-30-2014, 09:26 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

I'm almost completely convinced that it's the Alternator making this humming noise outside on the motor and in my stereo system. The alternator (and my 02 GT) both have 163,800 miles on it now. So it's probably about to give out on me :/
Old 01-30-2014, 10:09 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

When I bought my car I had a humming noise through my speakers and it drive me crazy, ended up being my alternator about to give out, so I would go ahead and replace it
Old 01-30-2014, 10:20 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigB227 View Post
When I bought my car I had a humming noise through my speakers and it drive me crazy, ended up being my alternator about to give out, so I would go ahead and replace it

Oh okay. Yeah. As soon as I got enough money saved up I was going to replace it ASAP! Thanks!
Old 01-30-2014, 10:36 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

If you want to mess with parts people's minds ask for a generator--that's what it really is.

From the factory shop manual (bring a copy of it with you):

Years ago when the diodes and regulator were external to the device it was correctly called an alternator because it's output was AC. However when they were relocated so as to be internal to the device and it's output became DC the proper designation became generator. Automotive engineers know this and refer to it accordingly, but the name alternator had stuck by then.

Oddly the things used on construction sites and during storms are alternators, but we call them generators...

New ride (7/1/2013) 1998 Mercedes SL500-5.0L 32V VVT 326/347 HP/tq
cliffyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 10:48 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Very interesting I did not know that!!
Old 01-30-2014, 11:01 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
02' GT Random Noise?!

Cliffy always manages to teach us something!

Engine/Drivetrain: SCT iTSX with BAMA 91 Race Tune, Airaid CAI, JBA O/R H-Pipe, SLP Power-Flo Catback, Exedy Stage 2 Clutch, Exedy Lightweight Flywheel

Suspension: H&R SuperSport Springs, KYB Shocks & Struts
JetLife 01GT is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT