2003 Mustang GT Engine Swap - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-06-2013, 05:53 AM   #1

Region: Virginia
2003 Mustang GT Engine Swap

So I know this will probably sound a little crazy to a lot but I'm planning on dropping a Chevy 454 in my 03' GT. I know the whole front end will have to be redone and reinforced with bigger springs and all. And the motor mounts will have to be customer made. This is the first engine swap I will be doing. I'm buying the block and building it myself. Can anyone give me a little guidance and share knowledge. Anything to help will be greatly appreciated.
Kuntry is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-06-2013, 06:33 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Go to a chevy forum traitor lol. Jk. I have a question though y a 454 y not an ls2 block lsx cam ls7 heads? Well in general y not an ls they seem more capable of producing more power and if you were carbing it the ls can be carbed as well

Btw i think the firewall may have to be shaved a bit along with a cowl hood ir one with a functional scoop if its carbbed.
Old 05-06-2013, 10:34 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Booooooo!
jjsg09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-06-2013, 10:38 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
I agree why not LS swap.

Follow me on instagram @nicknold for car and truck pictures
1lowGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 11:17 PM   #5
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Honestly, if you are asking about a 454 swap into a Mustang on a forum and "how to do it" and this is your first swap you probably want to stop and really figure out if you want to do this.

1- Not the easiest swap like the LS1 swap is
2- It'll turn the already nose heavy car into a REALLY nose heavy car
3- We have a Big Block too in the 460 and there is a pretty good amount of data readily available on that (you might want to start in the Big Block forum on the Corral)
4- A Ford 351 based stroker can be easily punched out to Big Block numbers, make 500-600whp or more all motor no problem and drops right in

I suggest researching on other forums and seeing the power numbers ppl with 454s are putting up in whatever they are in be it a Nova, Chevelle, Vette, swapped into a Gremlin etc... Honestly any power the 454 can make that is realistic for a street car, a 351 based stroker can make too and for less money.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 02:16 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arkansas
+1 to Scotty. The 351 Cleveland is an incredible motor and pretty much indestructible. I know a guy back home with a mid 70s Mustang with a totally stock factory 351 pushing almost 300k miles and it runs like a champ even though he rags on it every day.
BackPressure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 03:04 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
If you are consulting an online forum about an engine swap, you aren't ready to do an engine swap.
Old 05-07-2013, 07:35 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBluedude View Post
If you are consulting an online forum about an engine swap, you aren't ready to do an engine swap.
+1

---------- Post added at 07:35 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:32 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuntry View Post
So I know this will probably sound a little crazy to a lot but I'm planning on dropping a Chevy 454 in my 03' GT. I know the whole front end will have to be redone and reinforced with bigger springs and all. And the motor mounts will have to be customer made. This is the first engine swap I will be doing. I'm buying the block and building it myself. Can anyone give me a little guidance and share knowledge. Anything to help will be greatly appreciated.
Just get a 460 and punch it out to a 545 or get a 351 and make a 418. Why put junk in a pony?? If you do you might as well make a 496
White03GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 10:57 AM   #9
Staff
Regular
Staff

I was thinking more along the lines of a 351w taken out to a 408 with the standard AFR 225/Custom Cam/Edelbrock intake combo with all the supporting parts and a cool 12:1 compression or whatever you can get away with using 93 octane making 550-600whp all motor. This is what I would do if I had another 5.0 Mustang again which may happen, you never know. I'd do what I just described in front of a built 4R automatic trans, built rear with a mini tub, drag suspension and a full manual valve body. Then probably throw as big a nitrous shot as the block will safely take onto it to get it into the 9s on track day. Win
Old 05-07-2013, 11:58 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Wow no wonder I haven't been on this form in a while it seems to have turned sacrilegious!! Just throw a coyote in there already
fomoco4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 04:37 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Whoa... No...
Rejekt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 08:11 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
That's just retarded, just because its a big block doesn't mean its going to be fast.

It would make a whole lot more sense if you were going to make your mustang a mutt , and do a ls1
Slow4V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 11:15 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
I agree with the 351c or a 460. Hell even a 427 cobra jet would do us justice lol. But honestly id like to know a reason on the swap as well and y you chose or are deciding on a 454.
Old 05-08-2013, 12:48 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Go all ford man, i 100% agree with scotty. Go smallblock tons of parts to choose from, much lighter. Why would anybody put gm product in a mustang!?
Sbales88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 06:05 AM   #15
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Bales View Post
Go all ford man, i 100% agree with scotty. Go smallblock tons of parts to choose from, much lighter. Why would anybody put gm product in a mustang!?
Because teh LS1=GOD'S MOTOR!!!!1111!!#%!

In all actuality I have no idea why either. I mean a car like RX7 or a Miata that REALLY benefits from the LS1 vs what came in it fine, go right ahead. The Rotards will hate you for tearing the "soul" out of the RX7 while you laugh at them as they blow apex seals and curse as you produce this thing called torque.

For a Mustang... no... just no. All the LS1 swaps I see, the money ppl spend to get a running used LS1 or LS2 into their cars could be spent on a stout 408 stroker that will drop right in, is brand new and will make more power and a boatload more bottom end. This goes for Modulars too and I REALLY have no idea why ppl with modulars swap in LS1s. We even get access to cheap, super light aluminum blocks that are readily available and mass produced. I picked up a Teksid aluminum block and an OEM forged crank locally for $250 and there are a TON of WAP blocks out there for next to nothing.

Even swapping in a 351C/460 is pretty pointless IMO unless you just HAVE to have a big block. And have fun when the guy with the 418w small block making 600+ to the wheels in a 3000lb notch just annihilates you from a light or at the 1/4.
Old 05-08-2013, 07:33 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post

Because teh LS1=GOD'S MOTOR!!!!1111!!#%!

In all actuality I have no idea why either. I mean a car like RX7 or a Miata that REALLY benefits from the LS1 vs what came in it fine, go right ahead. The Rotards will hate you for tearing the "soul" out of the RX7 while you laugh at them as they blow apex seals and curse as you produce this thing called torque.

For a Mustang... no... just no. All the LS1 swaps I see, the money ppl spend to get a running used LS1 or LS2 into their cars could be spent on a stout 408 stroker that will drop right in, is brand new and will make more power and a boatload more bottom end. This goes for Modulars too and I REALLY have no idea why ppl with modulars swap in LS1s. We even get access to cheap, super light aluminum blocks that are readily available and mass produced. I picked up a Teksid aluminum block and an OEM forged crank locally for $250 and there are a TON of WAP blocks out there for next to nothing.

Even swapping in a 351C/460 is pretty pointless IMO unless you just HAVE to have a big block. And have fun when the guy with the 418w small block making 600+ to the wheels in a 3000lb notch just annihilates you from a light or at the 1/4.
Building a 418 for my 83 gt
Old 05-10-2013, 06:06 AM   #17

Scotty where ya find the cheap blocks at? I'm no that Ford savy bc I've been raised Chevy but I love my mustang. And the reason I was originally going for a 454 was bc I have a bare block sitting in storage in Tennessee. Just trying to figure out what I wanna do before I go get it. Also I've had quite a few guys in mustangs here in Virginia tell me that the 4.6 can put out a good chunk.i just thinks its to small. And the reviews I've read online the the Stock motor and trans are nothing good.
Old 05-10-2013, 09:31 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Scotty where ya find the cheap blocks at? I'm no that Ford savy bc I've been raised Chevy but I love my mustang. And the reason I was originally going for a 454 was bc I have a bare block sitting in storage in Tennessee. Just trying to figure out what I wanna do before I go get it. Also I've had quite a few guys in mustangs here in Virginia tell me that the 4.6 can put out a good chunk.i just thinks its to small. And the reviews I've read online the the Stock motor and trans are nothing good.
Build a 5.3 stroker and charge it
Old 05-10-2013, 09:33 AM   #19
Staff
Regular
Staff

You have a 2003 which means you have a modular which means you have a block good for over 1000whp already in the car. Not the rotating assembly but the block is. This is not the glass jaw old school 5.0 block that will let go at the 450-500whp mark.

Since you already have a 4.6L, I would just build that. 4.6Ls do need boost to make big power but there are plenty of ppl in the 600+whp range on built modulars and thats a relatively "mild" motor with just some ported PI heads or stock 4V heads, forged rotating assy. and the blower.

Ppl who say the 4.6L sucks have obviously never had one or looked into what they are capable of. 281 cubic inches with the right parts and 22 psi is going to be a monster. Trying to put a 454 in a Mustang because you already have it... yeah you'll spend at LEAST triple to build a 454, convert it/the car to mesh up and get it installed than you would to just forge your PI block and port the heads.
Old 05-10-2013, 01:47 PM   #20

I have been looking at parts on American Muscle website. Where would you suggest to get good quality parts for a reasonable price?
Old 05-10-2013, 05:50 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
You have a 2003 which means you have a modular which means you have a block good for over 1000whp already in the car. Not the rotating assembly but the block is. This is not the glass jaw old school 5.0 block that will let go at the 450-500whp mark.

Since you already have a 4.6L, I would just build that. 4.6Ls do need boost to make big power but there are plenty of ppl in the 600+whp range on built modulars and thats a relatively "mild" motor with just some ported PI heads or stock 4V heads, forged rotating assy. and the blower.

Ppl who say the 4.6L sucks have obviously never had one or looked into what they are capable of. 281 cubic inches with the right parts and 22 psi is going to be a monster. Trying to put a 454 in a Mustang because you already have it... yeah you'll spend at LEAST triple to build a 454, convert it/the car to mesh up and get it installed than you would to just forge your PI block and port the heads.
+1
Old 05-10-2013, 08:05 PM   #22
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
I have been looking at parts on American Muscle website. Where would you suggest to get good quality parts for a reasonable price?
There are a lot of places you can look for engine parts, AM is not a place I would go to for a shortblock. They are more of an accessory/bolt on place IMO. I mean they do sell engine stuff. I personally buy the most cost effective stuff I can which generally means used which is fine if you are careful. My combo I want to build in the near future will be a Teksid out of a 98 Cobra that I already have, the forged crank from the same motor, 03/04 Cobra rods, new pistons and a set of MHS ported PI heads with Comp 270 cams and a Tork Tech M112. If all that sounds greek to you, need to get some modular knowledge.
Old 05-10-2013, 09:39 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

There are a lot of places you can look for engine parts, AM is not a place I would go to for a shortblock. They are more of an accessory/bolt on place IMO. I mean they do sell engine stuff. I personally buy the most cost effective stuff I can which generally means used which is fine if you are careful. My combo I want to build in the near future will be a Teksid out of a 98 Cobra that I already have, the forged crank from the same motor, 03/04 Cobra rods, new pistons and a set of MHS ported PI heads with Comp 270 cams and a Tork Tech M112. If all that sounds greek to you, need to get some modular knowledge.
That would be a stout set up my man!
Old 05-10-2013, 10:33 PM   #24
Staff
Regular
Staff

Yep, I'll get around to it one day or I'll wind up selling this 98 too lol. I love the car but I hardly drive it and have actually started to kick around the idea of selling it and then getting a newer S197 next spring after I get promoted and finish up with my current car payments. Or I'll keep it like I originally intended and turn it into the ultimate sleeper. Nothing is a bigger sleeper than a SN95 with a "GT 4.6L" badge and I'm not joking about that. That setup I listed is solid for a good 550whp with a Posi port job on the blower and I honestly don't feel a stick shift street car needs more than that with the right setup.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT