muffler delete bad ? - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-22-2013, 10:17 PM   #36
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Dronemaster... I mean flowmaster mufflers aren't exactly the most free flowing mufflers out there either.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-22-2013, 11:44 PM   #37
slow281
Regular
Supporter

Region: Nebraska
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Dronemaster... I mean flowmaster mufflers aren't exactly the most free flowing mufflers out there either.
I like my magnaflpws..
2003 V6 - Zinc Yellow
1990 LX 2.3 - project
sixpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 11:50 PM   #38
slow281
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffyk View Post

NO, read the articles in the links I provided above, and Dr. Heywood's book and you will come to understand how wrong that statement is. It is not loss of back pressure, but rather loss of exhaust gas velocity that reduces torque when piping gets too big...
I have read both write ups you have on your site and I guess my question is what do you suggest.. Something like slps that don't restrict anything or chambered or does it really make a difference? I run LTs and H with straights on my 93 5.0 and like it.. And o/r magnaflows on my 01 4.6 and I like it as well I guess I understand there's no need for back pressure or anything but is there pros or cons ot straights vs mufflers (besides sound)..?
P.s love the site online couldn't stop reading
2003 V6 - Zinc Yellow
1990 LX 2.3 - project
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-23-2013, 10:11 AM   #39
Staff
Regular
Staff

Get the muffler that sounds best to you. Unless you are running a bigger power car like 500+ to the wheels its not that big a deal and even then. Ppl make too big a deal out of power from mufflers IMO. Spend the money that you'd spend dicking around with a perfectly good catback somewhere else to improve your car. If you've got an aftermarket catback already and the sound is good to you, leave it. If its the stock catback I recommend getting the Magnaflow Catback or another straight through catback like the Dynomax, SLP etc...

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 05-23-2013, 12:27 PM   #40
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by sixpac View Post
I have read both write ups you have on your site and I guess my question is what do you suggest.. Something like slps that don't restrict anything or chambered or does it really make a difference? I run LTs and H with straights on my 93 5.0 and like it.. And o/r magnaflows on my 01 4.6 and I like it as well I guess I understand there's no need for back pressure or anything but is there pros or cons ot straights vs mufflers (besides sound)..?
P.s love the site online couldn't stop reading
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Get the muffler that sounds best to you. Unless you are running a bigger power car like 500+ to the wheels its not that big a deal and even then. Ppl make too big a deal out of power from mufflers IMO. Spend the money that you'd spend dicking around with a perfectly good catback somewhere else to improve your car. If you've got an aftermarket catback already and the sound is good to you, leave it. If its the stock catback I recommend getting the Magnaflow Catback or another straight through catback like the Dynomax, SLP etc...
I agree with all that "scotty" has said, especially that "Ppl make too big a deal out of power from mufflers..."

All mufflers "muffle" by removing energy from, and slowing, the exhaust gas pulses. This can be done by channeling them through a labyrinth of baffles (Flowmaster), or by providing a expansion chamber filled with "sound absorbent material (MagnaFlow)--from a practical standpoint it doesn't matter which is used it is the final sound that should be the arbiter, there is no practically significant performance advantage to either design...

New ride (7/1/2013) 1998 Mercedes SL500-5.0L 32V VVT 326/347 HP/tq
cliffyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 04:08 PM   #41
slow281
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffyk View Post

I agree with all that "scotty" has said, especially that "Ppl make too big a deal out of power from mufflers..."

All mufflers "muffle" by removing energy from, and slowing, the exhaust gas pulses. This can be done by channeling them through a labyrinth of baffles (Flowmaster), or by providing a expansion chamber filled with "sound absorbent material (MagnaFlow)--from a practical standpoint it doesn't matter which is used it is the final sound that should be the arbiter, there is no practically significant performance advantage to either design...
Makes sense.
2003 V6 - Zinc Yellow
1990 LX 2.3 - project
Old 05-23-2013, 04:37 PM   #42
Staff
Regular
Staff

I'll go one step further and say that even the chambered vs straight through thing is overblown. I had straight through dynomaxes on my 5.0 Cobra and I have chambered dynomaxes on my 4.6L and the sound is almost identical. Almost... the current Thrush mufflers I have on now sound throatier at lower RPM and a little raspier up top than the Ultraflows I had on the Cobra. I will say that when I mash the throttle on this 4.6L the thrush mufflers SCREAM just like the Ultras did and this is with a completely emissions legal catted car.

The brand has as much to do with the sound as the design and the muffler companies do this on purpose. There is a reason you can tell right away that a Flowmaster car (example) is going by and they want it that way.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT