Front end noise - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-10-2013, 03:29 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular
 
98vertgt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Region: Florida
Posts: 490
Front end noise

I have a clicking/popping noise coming from my front end whenever I'm turning or just driving. It happens when I'm braking or reversing. I can't recreate the noise and I've had my car in the air a couple times but can't see anything wrong. Could it be balljoints? Tie rod ends? I can fix whatever i just need to know what to fix.
98vertgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 05-10-2013, 04:26 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular
 
96smoke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Raleigh
Region: North Carolina
Posts: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98vertgt View Post
I have a clicking/popping noise coming from my front end whenever I'm turning or just driving. It happens when I'm braking or reversing. I can't recreate the noise and I've had my car in the air a couple times but can't see anything wrong. Could it be balljoints? Tie rod ends? I can fix whatever i just need to know what to fix.
Similar to the issue I had on my 96. Ball joints were shot...I'd def take a look at them but I could recreate my noise easily just by hitting a bump or turning

Also it was more of a squeaking noise for my balljoints so maybe it isn't them but won't hurt to check
96smoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 04:42 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular
 
98vertgt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Region: Florida
Posts: 490
I can create the noise while driving, just not when i have the car in the air.
98vertgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 05-11-2013, 04:40 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular
 
1996mustang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Miami
Region: Florida
Posts: 1,013
maybe its the control arm bushings, check those out to see if it is, they could make noise while under the cars pressure and weight but not while in the air, good way to test is to have someone watch if when u brake if the wheels move foward or back as well depending if in drive or reverse.
1996mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 09:03 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular
 
98vertgt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Region: Florida
Posts: 490
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1996mustang View Post
maybe its the control arm bushings, check those out to see if it is, they could make noise while under the cars pressure and weight but not while in the air, good way to test is to have someone watch if when u brake if the wheels move foward or back as well depending if in drive or reverse.
I checked the control arm bushings but every single thing under my car is tight. I'm gonna replace the steering rack bushings and ball joints and if that doesn't fix it then the inner and outter tie rods too.
98vertgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 09:39 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular
 
Seegin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Fort Benning
Region: Georgia
Posts: 55
It's the steering rack bushings. I had the same problem the sound drove me crazy. Luckily they were easy to swap out.
Seegin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 12:50 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular
 
98vertgt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Region: Florida
Posts: 490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegin View Post
It's the steering rack bushings. I had the same problem the sound drove me crazy. Luckily they were easy to swap out.
That's what I was leaning towards doing first. Is it pretty straight forward? I'm good with tools i just can't seem to find a decent write up on it
98vertgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


» Like Us On Facebook



07:37 AM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.