Front end noise - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-10-2013, 03:29 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Front end noise

I have a clicking/popping noise coming from my front end whenever I'm turning or just driving. It happens when I'm braking or reversing. I can't recreate the noise and I've had my car in the air a couple times but can't see anything wrong. Could it be balljoints? Tie rod ends? I can fix whatever i just need to know what to fix.
98vertgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-10-2013, 04:26 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98vertgt View Post
I have a clicking/popping noise coming from my front end whenever I'm turning or just driving. It happens when I'm braking or reversing. I can't recreate the noise and I've had my car in the air a couple times but can't see anything wrong. Could it be balljoints? Tie rod ends? I can fix whatever i just need to know what to fix.
Similar to the issue I had on my 96. Ball joints were shot...I'd def take a look at them but I could recreate my noise easily just by hitting a bump or turning

Also it was more of a squeaking noise for my balljoints so maybe it isn't them but won't hurt to check
96smoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 04:42 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

I can create the noise while driving, just not when i have the car in the air.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-11-2013, 04:40 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

maybe its the control arm bushings, check those out to see if it is, they could make noise while under the cars pressure and weight but not while in the air, good way to test is to have someone watch if when u brake if the wheels move foward or back as well depending if in drive or reverse.
1996mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 09:03 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1996mustang View Post
maybe its the control arm bushings, check those out to see if it is, they could make noise while under the cars pressure and weight but not while in the air, good way to test is to have someone watch if when u brake if the wheels move foward or back as well depending if in drive or reverse.
I checked the control arm bushings but every single thing under my car is tight. I'm gonna replace the steering rack bushings and ball joints and if that doesn't fix it then the inner and outter tie rods too.
Old 05-13-2013, 09:39 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
It's the steering rack bushings. I had the same problem the sound drove me crazy. Luckily they were easy to swap out.
Seegin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 12:50 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegin View Post
It's the steering rack bushings. I had the same problem the sound drove me crazy. Luckily they were easy to swap out.
That's what I was leaning towards doing first. Is it pretty straight forward? I'm good with tools i just can't seem to find a decent write up on it

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT