throttle body help - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-14-2013, 03:53 PM   #36
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by schmitty426 View Post
I never touched the idle screw I even lowered it lol right now the butterfly is what's stopping now I have the screw slightly touching the throttle tounge and its idleing at about 1000... Do I have to do anything with the butterfly screws?
That's what Im talking about. Adjust that set screw so that it is the screw that is stopping the throttle plate. While the plate is fully closed. Then make any adjustments if necessary from there. You dont want to use the throttle plate as a stop.
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2013, 04:59 PM   #37
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Minnesota
I know u don't want the throttle plate to be the stop but wouldnt u guys think if the plate is what's stopping air flow that I wouldn't be having any problems? I mean no disrespect to anyone the way its worded
schmitty426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 05:02 PM   #38
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Tennessee
The plate should be a little open on idle, right guys?
Tint, louvers, Shelby brake light cover, sequentials, brake vent ring delete, Shorty antenna, JLT cold air intake, BAMA tune, VMP 2.5 S/C pulley, Ford racing shifter, MRT OR-H, SLP loudmouths, BMR adj PHB, BMR LCA, Eibach Pro-Kit, cobra jet big oval TB.
Ubnbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2013, 05:12 PM   #39
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubnbit View Post
The plate should be a little open on idle, right guys?
There is a slight gap all the way around the butterflies of the twin bore on my Bullitt. Schmitty, you shouldn't have messed with the screw. Try to put it back the way it came when you took it out of the box. Where the hell is Cliffy when we need him. Lol.
Old 05-14-2013, 05:19 PM   #40
Registered Member
Regular

See that's the thing it wasn't touched when I first installed it
Old 05-14-2013, 05:30 PM   #41
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
This shouldn't be so difficult. Just start the car and adjust the idle set screw.
AgentOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 05:38 PM   #42
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
See that's the thing it wasn't touched when I first installed it
I know that. Here's the thing. If you had installed it right out of the box, without adjusting anything, disconnecting and reconnecting the battery, and letting the computer recalibrate itself, all of the things mentioned earlier, you would be driving around right now attracting the attention of every cop in town. I think that your impatience got you into trouble on this one. Start over. Get the throttle plate right. And for god sakes, let the computer do its thing this time. It may take a few warm up cycles.
Old 05-14-2013, 05:58 PM   #43
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
I think Bullitt is right Schmitty. You shouldn't have to adjust anything on these. Our cars are set up to basically re-learn for something like this. When you disconnect the battery for an extended period of time, it goes through this process. If you haven't done any mods you may not even notice that it is doing it, however when you have changed something significant it takes time.

It can be a little unsettling, but it should adjust itself out given some time.
Old 05-14-2013, 06:05 PM   #44
Registered Member
Regular

I've had to adjust both idle set screws on the two different aftermarket TBs i've had. The computer won't physically turn a screw and change where the throttle plate stops. That being said, the set screw is an easy adjustment and is the prime culprit for this issue, along with the TPS which is brand new in this case and omit. This issue is being over-thought. Spend a little time, set the base adjustment(screw touching plate), start the car, reach operating temp and set it from there. If the computer did everything there wouldn't be an adjustable set screw at all.
Old 05-14-2013, 06:12 PM   #45
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentOrange View Post
I've had to adjust both idle set screws on the two different aftermarket TBs i've had. The computer won't physically turn a screw and change where the throttle plate stops. That being said, the set screw is an easy adjustment and is the prime culprit for this issue, along with the TPS which is brand new in this case and omit. This issue is being over-thought. Spend a little time, set the base adjustment(screw touching plate), start the car, reach operating temp and set it from there. If the computer did everything there wouldn't be an adjustable set screw at all.
The IAC controls the idle.
Old 05-14-2013, 06:23 PM   #46
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by straybullitt View Post

The IAC controls the idle.
...it's called an "idle set screw" for a reason. The IAC controls air flow past the TB when the plate is shut. There is no other reason why the stock TB with the same IAC and TPS would idle fine. Process of elimination.
Old 05-14-2013, 06:31 PM   #47
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Just set it back to how you found it, put her on and let the CPU have time to adjust. If it doesn't within about 35 min of IDLING then adjusting it is necessary and simple. My 78mm BBK didn't need any adjustments
White03GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 06:31 PM   #48
Registered Member
Regular

Ugh. CLIFFFYY!!!!!!!
Old 05-14-2013, 06:44 PM   #49
Registered Member
Regular

I'm dropping this until OP reports back from making his adjustments. This isn't some "magic fix" issue that needs babysitting.
Old 05-14-2013, 08:01 PM   #50
Registered Member

Regular

I just wanna get my boi schmitty Rollin and comfy in his car. Idk who cliffy is lol but if he helps schmitty, somebody call him.

Put it on, let it run. Let it heat up to temp, let it run, drive it. Turn it off, let it run, get up to temp, drive it. If that don't get it idling right, then turn the screw. That's the plan.
Tint, louvers, Shelby brake light cover, sequentials, brake vent ring delete, Shorty antenna, JLT cold air intake, BAMA tune, VMP 2.5 S/C pulley, Ford racing shifter, MRT OR-H, SLP loudmouths, BMR adj PHB, BMR LCA, Eibach Pro-Kit, cobra jet big oval TB.
Old 05-14-2013, 08:15 PM   #51
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
Quote:
I just wanna get my boi schmitty Rollin and comfy in his car. Idk who cliffy is lol but if he helps schmitty, somebody call him.

Put it on, let it run. Let it heat up to temp, let it run, drive it. Turn it off, let it run, get up to temp, drive it. If that don't get it idling right, then turn the screw. That's the plan.
+10000000
Old 05-14-2013, 08:40 PM   #52
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Cliffyk is the man on this forum Ubnbit. Where have you been? He could settle this matter with one post instead of us bunch of jerk-offs going back and forth for 40 posts and we still don't know if Schmittys problem is resolved. I'm guessing he'll avoid this thread like the plague though.
Old 05-14-2013, 08:42 PM   #53
Registered Member

Regular

Cliffy will? Lol. I gotta meet him. If he's got that kinda skill, we need cliffy in every thread.
Old 05-14-2013, 08:49 PM   #54
Registered Member
Regular

I'm not impressed by much, but, of everyone on here, I'd say that he has an extraordinary knowledge of these cars. I think he's been on the idle air mod thread. Check it out
Old 05-14-2013, 08:51 PM   #55
Registered Member

Regular

Goin there now. Lol
Old 05-14-2013, 09:05 PM   #56
Registered Member

Regular

Holy crap!!!! Let's for real take a moment to wonder what we did wrong in life not to have that much knowledge. Wow! I thought u were kiddin or something. I've seen him post but never on anything related to what I've been working on. I never really took time to read it. That's very impressive skills and exactly why I tell everybody there are some great and knowledgeable people here.
Old 05-14-2013, 09:08 PM   #57
Registered Member
Regular

I don't like to say it, but, told ya. Lol.
Old 05-14-2013, 09:09 PM   #58
Registered Member

Regular

Get cliffy in here lol
Old 05-14-2013, 09:21 PM   #59
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

It idles fine haha just when I touch the throttle the revs stay up then drop momentarily
Old 05-14-2013, 09:34 PM   #60
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
It idles fine haha just when I touch the throttle the revs stay up then drop momentarily
Thats awesome dude! Exactly what it's supposed to be doing. Go read the idle air mod thread. It'll give you some insight. Ok. Are we finished? Can we finally call the thread a success?
Old 05-16-2013, 01:34 PM   #61
Registered Member
Regular

Call me stupid all you want guys but I let it idle for 30 minutes and drove around too sill no changes besides now my check engine light is on
Old 05-16-2013, 02:04 PM   #62
Registered Member
Regular

U guys think it needs a tune? I have stock manifolds o/r x slp lm1's and a CAI and now a mac TB and trickflow plenum
Old 05-16-2013, 02:12 PM   #63
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
It don't necessarily need to be tuned. All that can be bolted on without requiring a tune. But it will help support those mods.

Follow me on instagram @nicknold for car and truck pictures
1lowGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 04:46 PM   #64
Registered Member
Regular

Read the code. There is something wrong.
Old 05-16-2013, 04:48 PM   #65
Registered Member
Regular

P0507
Old 05-16-2013, 04:56 PM   #66
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
P0507
Throttle plate is adjusted too far open, there's a vacuum leak, or your IAC is dirty/broken. Did you forget the small vacuum line on the back of your TB/plenum?(between the intake and firewall)
Old 05-16-2013, 04:58 PM   #67
Registered Member
Regular

I'm not showing a po507. A po505 is IAC valve fault system fault though. Anyone else?
Old 05-16-2013, 05:00 PM   #68
Registered Member
Regular

Ill clean the iac and see if that helps all hoses are connected
Old 05-16-2013, 05:03 PM   #69
Registered Member
Regular

P0507 indicates that the IAC can't do it's job. This could be because air is getting past an improperly adjusted plate(its open at idle), or a vacuum leak is letting unmetered air into the intake manifold. The IAC itself could always be faulty, but because this issue wasn't there before the TB change, im guessing it's one of the former.
Old 05-16-2013, 05:08 PM   #70
Registered Member
Regular

Is the idle still staying up like before?

---------- Post added at 03:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:05 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentOrange View Post
P0507 indicates that the IAC can't do it's job. This could be because air is getting past an improperly adjusted plate(its open at idle), or a vacuum leak is letting unmetered air into the intake manifold. The IAC itself could always be faulty, but because this issue wasn't there before the TB change, im guessing it's one of the former.
I think you're right AO.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT