Hoping to get some help quick - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-13-2013, 03:28 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Hoping to get some help quick

How would i go about getting the interior panel off, in the back seat where the seatbelt goes into. My seatbelt is locked/fully extended and won't retract. So i aim to fix it before i take the car up to a Wisconsin Car show. So fellas, how do i get this bad boy off.
PonyBoyV6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-13-2013, 04:45 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

This piece right here.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3753998854.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	343.8 KB
ID:	107893  
Old 05-13-2013, 09:01 PM   #3
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
The upper part needs to come off too, this is about a 10-15 minute job if you've done it before, not too bad.

-Remove seatbelt from upper 1/4 panel with torx bit
-Remove coat hanger hook
-Remove all other screws
-Pull out on upper 1/4 panel and remove the back seatbelt from the panel as it comes out

-Remove bottom rear seat by pressing on the release buttons dead center under where you sit in the front on both sides. A flathead screwdriver or butter knife works well. Just lift the seat out after the front is free.
-Now the back seat is bolted to the bottom and back of the car, remove those bolts
- *Can't remember if the rear headpad is under or above the rear seat bolts, if its above, obviously remove it first, if not don't worry about it.
-Now the rear seat comes out, just lift it out
-Remove all door seals or anything from the bottom 1/4 panel
-Remove the 3 bolts from the back of the 1/4 panel and the 4th screw/bolt from up near where the rear top seat belt comes off.
-Pull out 1/4 panel making SURE that all screws/attachement points are removed, I probably missed a couple. IIRC there are a few other screws somewhere but I'm not home right now and won't be for another few days so I can't run out to the garage and look... ALL panels should come out with light-moderate pressure, if not then do NOT try to gorilla the panel out, you'll break a piece and hate life trying to locate a new panel.

If you run into any problems, use google, use the search function on this and other forums, and just realize that ALL the interior stuff is made to be relatively easy to remove. As long as you get all the screws which are ALL accessible without much if any fuss, the panels will pull right off. Even the center console and dash lift right out once you get all the screws and make sure all the wires are detached.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-13-2013, 09:44 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
The upper part needs to come off too, this is about a 10-15 minute job if you've done it before, not too bad.

-Remove seatbelt from upper 1/4 panel with torx bit
-Remove coat hanger hook
-Remove all other screws
-Pull out on upper 1/4 panel and remove the back seatbelt from the panel as it comes out

-Remove bottom rear seat by pressing on the release buttons dead center under where you sit in the front on both sides. A flathead screwdriver or butter knife works well. Just lift the seat out after the front is free.
-Now the back seat is bolted to the bottom and back of the car, remove those bolts
- *Can't remember if the rear headpad is under or above the rear seat bolts, if its above, obviously remove it first, if not don't worry about it.
-Now the rear seat comes out, just lift it out
-Remove all door seals or anything from the bottom 1/4 panel
-Remove the 3 bolts from the back of the 1/4 panel and the 4th screw/bolt from up near where the rear top seat belt comes off.
-Pull out 1/4 panel making SURE that all screws/attachement points are removed, I probably missed a couple. IIRC there are a few other screws somewhere but I'm not home right now and won't be for another few days so I can't run out to the garage and look... ALL panels should come out with light-moderate pressure, if not then do NOT try to gorilla the panel out, you'll break a piece and hate life trying to locate a new panel.

If you run into any problems, use google, use the search function on this and other forums, and just realize that ALL the interior stuff is made to be relatively easy to remove. As long as you get all the screws which are ALL accessible without much if any fuss, the panels will pull right off. Even the center console and dash lift right out once you get all the screws and make sure all the wires are detached.
This is better than i could've even asked for. Thanks a bunch man
Old 05-13-2013, 10:04 PM   #5
Staff
Regular
Staff

Your welcome. Oh, also substitute the bolts on the bottom 1/4 panel for plastic push pins IIRC. Whatever you come across, detach and remove lol.
Old 05-14-2013, 11:24 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

So, the clip under the rear seat passenger side is broken.
Old 05-14-2013, 02:16 PM   #7
Staff
Regular
Staff

Broken like it won't let the seat come out or broken like it won't re-attach the seat?
Old 05-14-2013, 03:49 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Broken like it won't release the seat. Sooooo **** it, i unbolted the whole assembly.
Old 05-15-2013, 04:12 PM   #9
Staff
Regular
Staff

Haha yeah you can get under there with a small wrench if you are patient... If you already got it out then good deal, everything else should be pretty self explanatory. Also take the time to clean the heck out of under that seat, when I pulled my original seat out to re-cover it, I found that there had been a family of mice in there at some point... Also, put dryer sheets under the seat before you re-install it. Will make the car smell nice and fresh. Some ppl pull the lower seat out and do the dryer sheets every month, takes all of 3 minutes to do it provided your release latches work lol.
Old 05-15-2013, 04:38 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Here is a good write up on it with pictures..

How To Fix Your Crappy Seatbelt Retractors
Rejekt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 04:41 PM   #11
Staff
Regular
Staff

Lol, going to have to do that fix to my driver's seatbelt.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT