04 Mach 1 stalling and occasional studder under load - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-14-2013, 06:51 PM   #1

Region: Connecticut
04 Mach 1 stalling and occasional studder under load

A few months ago i purchased an 04 mach 5 speed with 36k on it. On the first ride home and at random other times if i come out of gear and leave it in neutral while coming to stop the car will stall. I did some research on this and came to the conclusion that it was probably because the previous owner removed the screen by the MAF sensor when installing a K&N cai. This didn't seem to be too big of an issue to me so I didn't really do anything about it. However when full throttle, occasionally it feels like there is a misfire or some sort of hesitation in the motor. This doesn't happen all the time but when it does it is 2-5 times throughout the rpm range of each gear. Im not sure if this could be from the MAF not ahving the screen anymore or if it could be something more serious like a faulty fuel pressure regulator or injector. Any input would be greatly appreciated. The mach has the K&N cai, bbk off road x pipe, magnaflow catback system, 4.10 gears, a short throw shifter and a diablosport inTune programmer.
kevinfm91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2013, 09:44 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arkansas
Check your coils and plugs.
Mine did the same and I found that this coil was the culprit. It worked fine until I stressed it and the pieces rattles loose, then it seated back down once I let off.
Also, check fluids and the like. Check your vacuum hoses (good to do anyways on a new car).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3813797069.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	984.0 KB
ID:	108203  
BackPressure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 10:38 PM   #3

I've been going through it with a fine tooth comb. Even did all the plugs. Didn't notice and broken coils but will check again. Thanks for the feedback!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2013, 10:53 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Check the iac module. That will cause rough idle and stalling in neutral
Mfore33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 10:59 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
If it has the tuner set to 93 octane tune and you dont have 93 octane in the tank it can cause pinging in the engine which will seem like its misfiring. Ive heard also many people say the k&n filters throw off the MAF in the Machs. Hope this helps those Machs are beauties.
jjsg09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 10:23 AM   #6

Checked all the cool packs this morning and all were fine. Tried cleaning up the throttle body a bit and still does it. As far as fuel grade and tune I never run anything less than 93 and my motor has never once pinged. The tuner I have only has the stock tune and the "diablo" tune no other options. Probable going to get it dyno tuned in the near future.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT