Bullitt won't start - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-14-2013, 11:12 PM   #1
ME Bloodhound
Staff
 
Soccerluvr4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Sacramento/Bay Area
Region: California
Posts: 14,672
Bullitt won't start

Ok so as i was leaving today i got in the car and went to turn it on but when i did it just clicked and then nothing, and the power short circuited and didn't come on for about 2 minutes. I had to go to a meeting so i took a different car to that.

When i got back it was dark out so when i tried it again i would turn the key to the on position and it would cut all the power (so the dome light and the entire dash would shut off). When the power is off i will hear a clicking sound coming from the steering column. Through all this the theft light will still be flashing.

Also when i press the lock button on the key fob it locked a few times and other times it didn't, same with the unlock. But when i pressed the lock 2 times for the alarm it would lock and then half the time it wouldn't honk the horn for the alarm. I could hear a little sound coming from the horn area (wasn't a honk, was some other sound).

I think its some sort of relay or maybe a bad battery terminal. What do all of you think?
__________________

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 05-14-2013, 11:19 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular
 
2300turboford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: london
Region: Kentucky
Posts: 2,903
Man I have no idea but on a side note I'm getting my black bullitt Sunday check out my thread in special edition mustangs
__________________
"Racing is life ,anything before or after is just waiting "-the king of cool -Steve McQueen
2300turboford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 11:22 PM   #3
ME Bloodhound
Staff
 
Soccerluvr4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Sacramento/Bay Area
Region: California
Posts: 14,672
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2300turboford View Post
Man I have no idea but on a side note I'm getting my black bullitt Sunday check out my thread in special edition mustangs
Yea i saw that thread.
__________________

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 05-14-2013, 11:23 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular
 
2300turboford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: london
Region: Kentucky
Posts: 2,903
Was a lot cleaner than I expected it just needs some tlc I can't wait to get it
__________________
"Racing is life ,anything before or after is just waiting "-the king of cool -Steve McQueen
2300turboford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 11:39 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular
 
Venomouz831's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Seaside
Region: California
Posts: 8,133
Check and make sure you're battery cables are tighten. I had the exact same problem and turned out one was loose and I had to tighten it
__________________
)02 Gt, Founder of WE2G
Venomouz831 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 11:41 PM   #6
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Arcadia
Region: Florida
Posts: 2,785
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post
Ok so as i was leaving today i got in the car and went to turn it on but when i did it just clicked and then nothing, and the power short circuited and didn't come on for about 2 minutes. I had to go to a meeting so i took a different car to that.

When i got back it was dark out so when i tried it again i would turn the key to the on position and it would cut all the power (so the dome light and the entire dash would shut off). When the power is off i will hear a clicking sound coming from the steering column. Through all this the theft light will still be flashing.

Also when i press the lock button on the key fob it locked a few times and other times it didn't, same with the unlock. But when i pressed the lock 2 times for the alarm it would lock and then half the time it wouldn't honk the horn for the alarm. I could hear a little sound coming from the horn area (wasn't a honk, was some other sound).

I think its some sort of relay or maybe a bad battery terminal. What do all of you think?
It could be as simple as a bad battery in the key fob. Is your car key chipped, do you know? Sometimes if the battery is dead in the fob it will trigger the anti theft system.

Good luck bro!!!!

---------- Post added at 12:41 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:40 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venomouz831 View Post
Check and make sure you're battery cables are tighten. I had the exact same problem and turned out one was loose and I had to tighten it
+1
93mstnglx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 11:49 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Salinas
Region: California
Posts: 7,412
Like Venom said, check the cables. Try jump starting it. If it starts , my vote goes for a bad battery. Good luck!
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 11:49 PM   #8
ME Bloodhound
Staff
 
Soccerluvr4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Sacramento/Bay Area
Region: California
Posts: 14,672
yea the key is chipped. I can try my other key fob and key tomorrow and see what happens.

---------- Post added at 09:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:49 PM ----------

i'll do that with the terminals tomorrow, thats also what DavidSeifert said to do.
__________________

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 12:34 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular
 
Tyoung68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: concord
Region: California
Posts: 3,475
Sounds like a bad ground to me had the same sort of problem with my car
Tyoung68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 12:50 AM   #10
ME Bloodhound
Staff
 
Soccerluvr4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Sacramento/Bay Area
Region: California
Posts: 14,672
All this is starting to make me feel better
__________________

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 01:06 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular
 
Tyoung68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: concord
Region: California
Posts: 3,475
If its the cables get some baking soda and water and a wire brush mix the baking soda and water together as it will neutralize the battery acid an scrub the terminals and and cable it self the sell battery cable / wire terminal brushes they cant be more what 5 bucks
Tyoung68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 01:12 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular
 
Slow4V's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Sa
Region: Alabama
Posts: 2,208
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post
Ok so as i was leaving today i got in the car and went to turn it on but when i did it just clicked and then nothing, and the power short circuited and didn't come on for about 2 minutes. I had to go to a meeting so i took a different car to that.

When i got back it was dark out so when i tried it again i would turn the key to the on position and it would cut all the power (so the dome light and the entire dash would shut off). When the power is off i will hear a clicking sound coming from the steering column. Through all this the theft light will still be flashing.

Also when i press the lock button on the key fob it locked a few times and other times it didn't, same with the unlock. But when i pressed the lock 2 times for the alarm it would lock and then half the time it wouldn't honk the horn for the alarm. I could hear a little sound coming from the horn area (wasn't a honk, was some other sound).

I think its some sort of relay or maybe a bad battery terminal. What do all of you think?
Dead battery
Slow4V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 02:44 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular
 
98vertgt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Region: Florida
Posts: 490
Dead battery or dead cell in the battery
98vertgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 08:57 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular
 
Jgill1992's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Rolla
Region: Missouri
Posts: 1,405
Yea I'm thinking battery issue my old 91 f150 had a lot of weird electrical issues because one of the battery cables was corroded
__________________

2015 Mustang GT Premium. No mods yet.
Jgill1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 09:35 PM   #15
ME Bloodhound
Staff
 
Soccerluvr4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Sacramento/Bay Area
Region: California
Posts: 14,672
Oh I forgot to post, but she's running again. Disconnected the battery terminals for about 5 minutes, reconnected them and it fired right up.
__________________

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 10:57 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular
 
Venomouz831's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Seaside
Region: California
Posts: 8,133
Good
__________________
)02 Gt, Founder of WE2G
Venomouz831 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 09:18 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular
 
Ckennedy121's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Miami
Region: Florida
Posts: 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post
Oh I forgot to post, but she's running again. Disconnected the battery terminals for about 5 minutes, reconnected them and it fired right up.
Not sure if the terminals were loose or just poor qualities but I went out and bought new "heavy duty" terminals because my old ones were...just that old and beat up and oxidizing from the battery acid.

Anyway it's an easy $7 and an easier 10-20 minute job but then you don't have to worry about it anymore.
Ckennedy121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 10:25 AM   #18
ME Bloodhound
Staff
 
Soccerluvr4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Sacramento/Bay Area
Region: California
Posts: 14,672
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ckennedy121 View Post

Not sure if the terminals were loose or just poor qualities but I went out and bought new "heavy duty" terminals because my old ones were...just that old and beat up and oxidizing from the battery acid.

Anyway it's an easy $7 and an easier 10-20 minute job but then you don't have to worry about it anymore.
Yea I might do that
__________________

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 10:51 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular
 
Cornkush's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Indianapolis
Region: Indiana
Posts: 171
Lol...
Cornkush is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


» Like Us On Facebook



07:27 AM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.