Cobra Chronicle (Progress thread) - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-26-2013, 11:40 PM   #36
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Any updates?
98vertgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2013, 11:45 AM   #37
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98vertgt View Post
Any updates?
It has been awhile,...but I did manage a few things. Got the engine mated to the trans, and put them back in as a unit.

** Not the most brilliant of ideas,...took for freaking ever, and scratched up the radiator saddle as a result.

Got all four coils cut down -5/8ths of a coil. Valve covers painted wrinkle black, and the accessories started to bolt back on:

I also cleaned, cleaned, cleaned. Keep in mind this is a 90k mi car:

Yeah, I know......no diff brace.

This ^^ nothing too bad,...all it took was some purploe power, and a 99.00 pressure washer........I really hate working on a dirty car.

The end links were mismatched. Evidently they are now obsolete. I replaced them these adjustable pieces from FTBR.

Southern cars all all like this underneath. They never see the salt and sand during the winter,..so you only have to clean them up a little, and this is what you get.

My 5.0 feature:http://www.mustang50magazine.com/fea...d/viewall.html
mike1157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 12:31 PM   #38
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Looks good. Starting to come together nicely
MidnightBlueGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2013, 04:18 PM   #39
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
I admire the attention to detail very nice. Is that wrinkle finish the VHT stuff that comes in a can? Looks great, I was looking for something for mine. After reading your adventures with getting the old paint off, Im guessing the factory paint will make a solid base to paint on, great job, keep it up!
Old 06-04-2013, 06:38 AM   #40
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxone View Post
I admire the attention to detail very nice. Is that wrinkle finish the VHT stuff that comes in a can? Looks great, I was looking for something for mine. After reading your adventures with getting the old paint off, Im guessing the factory paint will make a solid base to paint on, great job, keep it up!
Yes it is the VHT spray paint. It is really resistant though. seems very hard after the time spent in the wifes' oven,..and they have already passed the fuel test,...injector lines were dripping enough gas the other day to run down the pass valve cover....just dabbed it off and all is good.

Old 06-04-2013, 10:11 AM   #41
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
I literally just read the entire thing. I just gotta say... DAMN! That's some awesome work you are doing.

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 10:35 AM   #42
Registered Member
Regular

Great job - looking really good!
SpaceFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 06:29 PM   #43
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post
I literally just read the entire thing. I just gotta say... DAMN! That's some awesome work you are doing.
Thanks, I appreciate that. I really don't consider it remotely special though, the feature car in my sig is the best thing I've ever done.

Old 06-04-2013, 06:48 PM   #44
Registered Member
Regular

Anyone who has gotten a car that has not been taken care of can appreciate this thread. I had a 99 that I swear was treated like a 4x4. My latest GT a little better.
Old 06-14-2013, 11:49 AM   #45
Registered Member
Regular

Progress. Most of the engine is installed now and all electrical connections are back together. I decided originally to eliminate the EGR tube, but after doing some research,..decided to re-install it. Getting that tube back down between the firewall proved easier said than done,..and took the better part of an hour, all requiring a combination of jacking the rear of the engine up, twisting that tube and alot of cussing in the direct 95* heat of Alabama.

It leaves me concerned though,..because after installing the cooling mod, the newly added hose forced the main wiring harness back towards the firewall................and right up against that damn EGR tube.

The other concern is the Cooling mod connection itself. You end up replacing the freeze plug that is at the rear of the head facing up, and it's so buried under all of that other crap,..if it leaks,..........HULK SMASH!!!

I changed out the connections, and instead substituted -10 twist lock connections, as opposed to the stupid barb fittings that came w/ the kit.

Also decided to test out a color idea,...I'm looking to do a color change on the top half of the engine when I pull it apart next time. I found this Copper colored VHT engine enamel that has to be baked to facilitate a full cure. Once cured,..the finish is solvent resistant,..and almost as durable as powder coated stuff.

Old 06-15-2013, 07:25 AM   #46
Registered Member
Regular

When you planning on driving it again?

Should be show ready when you're done.
Old 06-15-2013, 05:14 PM   #47
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
I just got to say I wish there were more people that cared about their car like you do. Everything you have done or planning to do is exactly what that car needs. Great job for what you have already accomplished. Subscribed to keep up with your progress.
02GtRespect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 09:41 PM   #48
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelStander View Post
When you planning on driving it again?

Should be show ready when you're done.
I'll start it tommorrow,...After I know that it runs,..I'll move on to the few paint problems that the car has,.....lower body side moldings are trashed,...the hood has 70+ rock chips on it, and the rear bumper has an impact on the LR corner.

I want to paint that stuff before I put it down on the ground for good.

Old 06-15-2013, 09:50 PM   #49
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02GtRespect View Post
I just got to say I wish there were more people that cared about their car like you do. Everything you have done or planning to do is exactly what that car needs. Great job for what you have already accomplished. Subscribed to keep up with your progress.
Thanks,.....I just do what I think needs to be done so i can enjoy the thing w/o worrying about it breaking down on me.

It'll be far from a show car when I get it done. The paint is really showing it's age,..and the P.O. didn't know what wax was for. The paint on this car is actually a 6-7 out of 10. I'm gonna flat out the hood on the raised body line where the hood bulges for the twin scoops, and flat out the tail panel.

After all THAT is done,...then I'll drive it.

Old 06-16-2013, 09:12 PM   #50
Registered Member
Regular

It runs!! Yea!

The only thing I had to do before turning the key this morning, was to insulate the wiring harness that was making contact w/ the EGR tube, connect the driver side exhaust pipe coming off the manifold,....and change out the crusty battery connections.

8 hours later,...I finally turn the key.

You gotta be asking yourself how comes it took 8 HOURS to do what looks like it should've taken 2?

That's cause I'm the one doing the work.

First thing was the EGR tube. To qualify, it just wasn't touching the wire harness,...it was crammed up against it. I decided to cut and section the tube in an attempt to get it off the harness. So I look around the garage for some material to use to section the tube with,...and the only thing I can find is some galvanized metal conduit the same diameter as the EGR tube. Does that stop me from using it? Nope,......galvanized or not,...it was still mild steel, and if it was made of steel I'm welding it.

To add to the complexity,....I decide to cut the sleeve down the middle, so I can spread it and slide it over the EGR tube so I can clamp it in place using hose clamps,...which I do. I added 1" to the length of the tube at the top connection,..and that was enough to get it off the wire harness. While it was out I still double wrapped the harness w/ the turbo blanket,....so I should have no problem with this area getting hot.

The problem came w/ the other end.

I cut it first thing this morning so I could get the damn thing out in the first place. I knew as hard as it was to get that thing in there w/ the engine in place,..trying to remove it would age me. So I got my little air saw,....and hacked the tube as best I could given the limited access to it. Now I had to decide if I wanted to tack it in place and try wiggle it out again,..and after I got it completely welded,...have to go through the ordeal involved to get it back down behind the engine again.

I chose not to do it. Instead I created another sleeve and welded it up so I could slide the two pieces together,...using some RTV goop as extra insurance to seal the slip coupling.

I don't think you can see it,....but it's up there:

The hose clamp probably ain't doing s hit,..I just thought I'd add it in an attempt to try and crush the sleeve tighter, but it makes me feel better.
The whole EGR thing including taking all of the vacuum and elec connections off, and putting them back on took about 4 hours.

I ended up having to go to the "zone" again after that,.....(I always prefer to go AFTER I start to smell) Turns out I needed a 12" piece of vacuum tubing that I swore I had laying around, but didn't. I needed the break anyway,...so I cussed at myself while I drove, while simultaneously losing another 45 minutes as a result of having to go to the auto parts store...........again.

I came back w/ another gal of antifreeze (that I forgot to add back to the I/C reservoir), and the new battery ends that I needed

I completed the exhaust pipe,...tightened all of the connections down there,...and drug my broken *** off the ground for the last time,.....w/ only the battery connections to do. That takes another 45 minutes. (getting those old crimped on connections off of the cables is a b itch)

When it came time to crank it,...it dawns on me I have no Idea where the key is,......and it's been two months since it was last started.

More Cussing followed,...as I tore through all of the usual landing places for my keys......Turns out my Mother in law thought they were her Taurus keys,...so she had them in her purse.

Once found, I get in, depress the clutch,...and I turn the key

Va *****' Room!!

I ran it for about 5 minutes trying to get it hot enough to to burp the cooling system,,,,but the wife and kid were yelling at me to come in and get cleaned up so we could go see the Man of Steel.
So I had to stop and get cleaned up.

Now that I'm back,.......... I Should've stayed home.
That movie went easily 30-45 minutes Too long.

So all in all a good day,......with this one weird thing:

2.5 hours later I open the hood to take the pic below,....Blower is still warm to the touch

Old 06-16-2013, 09:23 PM   #51
Registered Member
Regular

Not gonna lie I wish I was there to help with everything would've done it for free just to work on a dream car of mine.
Old 06-17-2013, 09:30 AM   #52
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Send a message via Skype™ to 2Greeny7
Wow awesome thread. That car is now worth big bucks! Congrats and enjoy your hard work!

I see you mentioned paint work any idea what your going to do with that? (Same color or something different?)
2 Subs, New speakers all around
1 Great Car 1 Happy Kid
July '12 Mustang of the Month
2Greeny7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 10:45 AM   #53
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
You sir are my hero, great job on cleaning up and taking you time fixing a car that well deserves it!
Old 06-17-2013, 10:50 AM   #54
Registered Member
Regular

Very nice, I dont envy you trying to color match that yellow if you repaint the bumper. Seems like that color fades alot. Looking awesome!
Old 06-17-2013, 11:47 AM   #55
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Not gonna lie I wish I was there to help with everything would've done it for free just to work on a dream car of mine.
I wish you were here too,......I coulda used another pair of hands. AND P.S. if you opened that giagantic pic,...you are the one that has to close it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Greeny7 View Post
Wow awesome thread. That car is now worth big bucks! Congrats and enjoy your hard work!
Thanks.

I see you mentioned paint work any idea what your going to do with that? (Same color or something different?)
The hood, lower body side moldings and the rear bumper all need paint.

Quote:
Originally Posted by buickregal79 View Post
You sir are my hero, great job on cleaning up and taking you time fixing a car that well deserves it!
Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxone View Post
Very nice, I dont envy you trying to color match that yellow if you repaint the bumper. Seems like that color fades alot. Looking awesome!
I had a qt custom color matched to the gas tank door,...hopefully it's not too far off from the rest of the paint.

Old 06-17-2013, 02:43 PM   #56
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1157 View Post
P.S. if you opened that giagantic pic,...you are the one that has to close it.
NOT guilty lol

Subscribed Seeing stuff like this gives me a warm fuzzy
Old 06-17-2013, 07:03 PM   #57
Registered Member
Regular

This it's a great thread. Wish I had the time...I commend you.

When I retire from the Marines I'd like to take on a project like this.
FanOfSkynyrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 08:32 PM   #58
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1157 View Post

I wish you were here too,......I coulda used another pair of hands. AND P.S. if you opened that giagantic pic,...you are the one that has to close it.

The hood, lower body side moldings and the rear bumper all need paint.

Thanks.

I had a qt custom color matched to the gas tank door,...hopefully it's not too far off from the rest of the paint.
What pic?
Old 06-19-2013, 07:58 PM   #59
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
What pic?
The last complete engine pic. If not you, someone has clicked to open it full size, and needs to close it back to it's original posted size. Now I can't edit the stupid thing out of the thread.

Old 06-19-2013, 08:07 PM   #60
Registered Member
Regular

Looking nice and clean nice job.

No issues here with pic, most of us are on mobile app.
Old 06-19-2013, 08:20 PM   #61
Registered Member
Regular

Yea Im on mobile I did look at it though.
Old 06-19-2013, 08:24 PM   #62
Registered Member
Regular

Now that it's running,...I still have the cosmetic issues to deal with. The lower body side moldings were trashed,
and had been the victims of one too many misjudged curbs,...and just plain stupidity when it came to jacking the car up.
The pinch weld was literally folded flat on the bottom of the rockers,..and those moldings were badly distorted as a result of that.
Additionally,..there was several gouges in the urethane that I refused to leave,..so they were taken off the minute I put the car in the air
almost 2 months ago.

The rear bumper was also a problem for me,...call it OCD, call it pride in the ride,..but that broken paint on the drivers' side rear corner
was something I have to fix. So,...to force myself to deal with it....I took it off.

I'll post a pic tomorrow,...but all of that dirt that nobody will ever see is gone.. I even washed the area behind the bumper.

The object of my obsession is this impact. Whatever P.O. Stupid Larry backed into didn't actually hurt the bumper,..it just fractured the paint.

I can do bodywork,..although I'm not a bodyman. I can also paint but I'm not a painter. I came home early today so I could get started
prepping the three pieces so I could hope to be able paint it by Saturday. I got all three pieces prepped,..and got the rocker moldings in primer,
but didn't get any pics. I'll try to get some posted tomorrow.

Old 06-19-2013, 09:13 PM   #63
Registered Member
Regular

No its got to be perfect...just repaint the car while its apart as said earlier color will be hard to match.
Old 06-20-2013, 06:35 AM   #64
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
No its got to be perfect...just repaint the car while its apart as said earlier color will be hard to match.
I know it will. I took the gas cap to my paint supplier and had him custom tint the yellow paint to hopefully match the 10 year fade that has taken place. I do know that if there is a significant mis-match,...I'm gonna be p issed,...because I cannot afford (Time and money) to repaint the entire car.

Old 06-20-2013, 09:44 AM   #65
Registered Member
Regular

Not OCD, I did the same on my rear bumper and cleaned all that crap out of there. Make sure all that cracked paint is gone, it will shine through even the best paint job.
Old 06-20-2013, 07:40 PM   #66
Registered Member
Regular

1.5 days later,.....a bitter/sweet update.

All I've heard from people when it comes to talking about touching up this paint is always the same:
""You'll have trouble getting it to match", "You may as well repaint the whole car,...You'll NEVER get any color to match that faded 10 year old paint job"

Yet I plod along.

I go to Ford, and order the touch up vial from the color code on my door jamb,...and attempt to touch up the rock chips......

It don't match.

So I Take the gas cap to the paint store and have a qt. custom tinted to match it. They even leave a little blob on the door to demonstrate to me how exact they have matched this particular paint.

Confident that I have solved the mismatch dilemma, I buy a qt. of premium base/clear from a company called Matrix, and a gallon of high solids clear from the same company,...it cost a little over 200.00 for the stuff w/ the requisite reducer, and activator. That was almost a month ago,......I knew that someday I'd tackle the rocker molding and rear bumper repair and I knew I'd need it.

Yesterday I started that project.

I started by keeping my obsession intact.......I washed what will never be seen:

Both rocker moldings were trashed. They had seen one too many curbs,...and were victims of just stupid jacking procedures, the rocker pinch weld was folded flat in several places....The moldings were still attached to the pinch weld despite that fact, and were all kinds of distorted because of that. So they were removed as soon as I got the car in the air 2 months ago. They were the first thing I dealt with today.

I stripped them w/ my DA using 180 grit paper,...followed by 320 before I primed them w/ rattle can high build primer. After 4 cans, I soon came to terms w/ the fact that as much of a pain in the *** mixing primer is,...I could buy a qt for less than the spray bombs were costing me and have product to spare,...so off to the paint store I went. Came back 40.00 lighter.

After I got the rocker moldings done,..I turned to the bumper,...after I got it stripped,...I masked off the cobra insert on the back bumper,.....found my Xacto knife,....switched out the blade so I could have the sharpest edge possible so i could cut the excess tape out around the letters. I start slowly, carefully cutting out the excess tape from the recessed c-o-b-r-a. It was right about at the "O" that I decided to see how far I could stick that Xacto blade into the tip of my right middle finger. Turns out it goes in real deep.

After a short recess so I could drip blood all over the main floor bathroom,..I return w/ doubled bandaids on the finger and resume cutting out the rest of the letters. I prime the offending damage,...and return to the rockers,....cause one way or the other I'm painting those b itches today.

The paint mixes at 1/1 so my one qt. should make 2 qts of sprayable material. I should have more than enough to paint the rockers,..and the whole rear bumper if I need to....I fill the gun and I spray the first coat.

I use the entire gun.

I wait for the stuff to flash,....mix up some more yellow,...fill the gun and dump another coat, and come back w/ an empty gun again.
The yellow is just starting to hide the primer underneath, It's gonna take at least another coat maybe two.

I'm down to a half qt. of paint

The paint completely hides at 4 coats,..and despite the fact that it has been two years since I've had a spray gun in my hand,..I think the base came out OK.

See that blue tarp? That was supposed to be under the stand,..in the garage.

The clear is the toxic stuff. Actually it's the activator that contains Isocyanates,......The same stuff in superglue,....a chemical that is not too far from the stuff they used to drop in the little basket in the gas chamber,........Cyanide.
You find out that it takes a certain respirator cartridge to safely breathe while spraying this stuff,....and the garden variety Home Depot respirator does not come with that cartridge.

What type of respirator do you 'spose I have?

The symptoms of exposure to Isocyanates are numerous,...but most revolve around central nervous malfunctions, central nervous malfunctions, central nervous malfunctions........... There,......sorry,.I'm a little foggy for some reason tonight.

Where was I? Oh yeah! I'm getting ready to post a picture of the same things only w/ the clear added.

As with all pics,...they never do the actual paint justice,....but you can just get a sense of the shine I was able to get.

So,.....you should be asking yourself,........ "He said this was a bitter sweet experience,...everything looks really good,....where's the bitter part?"..............

Ready?

It don't match.

It's off by a mile. So far in fact that I can't paint the rear bumper,.....it'll be so far off from the quarters, you'll see it a mile away.

It's actually a more lemony yellow when compared to the muted boring shade that now covers my car. Quite frankly,..I'm at a loss. I cannot afford the time, and money to do a complete repaint,..nor do I want to spend another month or more prepping this car for that.

I don't have enough material left to even paint that bumper anyway,...I guess I could take it back to my paint supply shop and have another qt. double secret probation custom tinted..........
Maybe it'll be a different shade and I'll have three shades of yellow on the pig.

Old 06-21-2013, 07:48 AM   #67
Registered Member
Regular

Sucks man. You've put so much work in this far. I say rock it with the mismatched color for now, then when you have more time and money go for a while repaint.

I've seen worse, ricers with multicolored body panels, etc. Besides if anyone gives you crap, just smoke them and leave them in your dust.
FanOfSkynyrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 08:06 AM   #68
Registered Member
Regular

It'll work out you're doing an unreal job on it.

An option until you can afford paint...Ven will say plasti dip it all if you hate the color mismatch.
Old 06-21-2013, 02:49 PM   #69
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanOfSkynyrd View Post
Sucks man. You've put so much work in this far. I say rock it with the mismatched color for now, then when you have more time and money go for a while repaint.

I've seen worse, ricers with multicolored body panels, etc. Besides if anyone gives you crap, just smoke them and leave them in your dust.
I don't expect anybody to say anything derogatory,....What can they say?......."Your bumper looks a million times better than the rest of the car?"

Quote:
It'll work out you're doing an unreal job on it.

An option until you can afford paint...Ven will say plasti dip it all if you hate the color mismatch.
Not a fan of anything temporary,.....I went back to the paint supplier at lunch and showed them the color mismatch,...they are remixing another qt. in a different ( hopefully closer) shade to the rear bumper that I'll pick up tomorrow. Regardless of the final color,....I'm painting that rear bumper tomorrow.

Old 06-21-2013, 06:26 PM   #70
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn
Good progress. My blower holds heat for 8 hours after a good drive.
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT