Should i buy a Mustang? - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-17-2013, 09:52 PM   #36
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savard View Post
So you are saying i shoulden't buy a 99'-04' V6?
I have 5000 to spend but have been able to get a few people down to 4000 but they have 120-125k miles on it.
Does 4k sound ok for a 03' with 120k miles?
Don't get a v6 , get a GT

---------- Post added at 09:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:50 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiney View Post
You'll be much happier in the end with a 5 speed unless you do your majority of driving in a city or high traffic area. Then you may be happier with automatic.

It's not hard to learn a stick. I'll tell you how I learned. I bought a new Mustang GT and learned by driving it home from the dealer.

Also buy what you can afford and are comfortable with. So many times on here people say "buy an 03-04 Cobra". Well that's all well and good but we don't all have $20-23,000 to buy a used car. I'd love to have a Porsche 911, but it's not going to happen.
Terminators go from 14k-25k , just look for them duh
Slow4V is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2013, 09:59 PM   #37
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
On a real note this isn't a v6 vs v8 battle. I know A LOT of threads turn out this way, but OP is asking about the reliability of a mustang. He is looking at a v6 for his first car. As many younger ppl he is looking for a cheap reliable car that is cheap on insurance and gas. A GT definitely does not fit that. Yes he will eventually want and probably will own a GT in the future, but right now he has a budget and is looking for cheaper insurance.

That being said the 3.8 is a good motor. It was used for many many years in multiple vehicles. The v6 mustang is a great first car. You will enjoy it much more than a Honda or Toyota
Black on Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 09:59 PM   #38
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Quote:
You'll be much happier in the end with a 5 speed unless you do your majority of driving in a city or high traffic area. Then you may be happier with automatic.

It's not hard to learn a stick. I'll tell you how I learned. I bought a new Mustang GT and learned by driving it home from the dealer.

Also buy what you can afford and are comfortable with. So many times on here people say "buy an 03-04 Cobra". Well that's all well and good but we don't all have $20-23,000 to buy a used car. I'd love to have a Porsche 911, but it's not going to happen.
It will if you believe, just believe in magic
MidnightBlueGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2013, 10:23 PM   #39
Sad Panda
Staff

Region: Texas
If ya have to ask maybe the car isn't for you.
98 UA Mustang GT - sold
10 CI Mustang GT - slow
silverskoundrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 10:25 PM   #40
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverskoundrel View Post
If ya have to ask maybe the car isn't for you.
Valid point, but I'm sure he wants it since he joined the forum he's half way there already
Old 05-17-2013, 10:29 PM   #41
Sad Panda
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black on Black View Post

Valid point, but I'm sure he wants it since he joined the forum he's half way there already
True dat, I suppose. I mean when I seen my mustang I was like "dibbs" lol I knew I was gonna get it
98 UA Mustang GT - sold
10 CI Mustang GT - slow
Old 05-17-2013, 10:31 PM   #42
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

True dat, I suppose. I mean when I seen my mustang I was like "dibbs" lol I knew I was gonna get it
Haha me too, both times I found my current one online and I drove over 400 miles one way just to get it. I couldn't wait for it to be shipped
Old 05-17-2013, 10:33 PM   #43
Sad Panda
Staff

Quote:

Haha me too, both times I found my current one online and I drove over 400 miles one way just to get it. I couldn't wait for it to be shipped
I only drove a couple hours lol
98 UA Mustang GT - sold
10 CI Mustang GT - slow
Old 05-17-2013, 10:34 PM   #44
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I only drove a couple hours lol
I only drove a couple hours back let's just say it took 1 1/2 hours less to get home than it did to get to it
Old 05-17-2013, 10:37 PM   #45
Sad Panda
Staff

Quote:

I only drove a couple hours back let's just say it took 1 1/2 hours less to get home than it did to get to it
Impressive sir!
98 UA Mustang GT - sold
10 CI Mustang GT - slow
Old 05-17-2013, 10:37 PM   #46
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Utah
I have a picture of an ad in a magazine with a buying guide for all mustang ill post right now
Luna1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 10:39 PM   #47
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Impressive sir!
Lol yea I got "lucky" sooo many times lol
Old 05-17-2013, 10:42 PM   #48
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Utah
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1871828009.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	452.6 KB
ID:	108788

Name:	image-3324313117.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	469.7 KB
ID:	108790

Name:	image-924240774.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	457.8 KB
ID:	108789

Name:	image-2417992057.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	472.2 KB
ID:	108791

Name:	image-3436375587.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	378.6 KB
ID:	108792

Name:	image-3141255552.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	453.4 KB
ID:	108793

Name:	image-1072896352.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	460.2 KB
ID:	108795

Name:	image-3622594838.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	467.9 KB
ID:	108794

Name:	image-2096142110.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	465.8 KB
ID:	108796
Luna1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 10:48 PM   #49
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSG2003 View Post

Are you serious? You act like they are a 10 second car out of the factory. If you can't handle a stock mustang then you need your man card and license taken away.
If you think that a GT is a good choice for some kid who prolly can't drive for ****, I guess that's your opinion.

Get off your high horse with your "man card" bull****, brother.
Cranker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 10:53 PM   #50
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cranker View Post

If you think that a GT is a good choice for some kid who prolly can't drive for ****, I guess that's your opinion.

Let's calm down and stay on topic please
Old 05-17-2013, 10:58 PM   #51
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Imo if dalton or op is deciding to join our kind we shouldnt judge what they decide. They have their own reasons for deciding whether its a v6 or gt. Botg can spin tires easily if learning manual for the first time on a stang. And a v6 can beat a gt and vica versa......v6 being modified of course lol. Anyways if he chooses to buy a stang its probably agreed that a main reasin is the fun factor. Also the ability to just be able to hang with others of our kind is also a plus as to for later on the line he may upgrade his pony or do mods to beautify it as he sees fit as we do with ours. I say choose a stang in your budget and for the reason u may. It doesn't have to be 99-04 could be 94-98 v6 as well ir even a fox body with a 2.4L 4 cylinder. Whatever the choice may be i wish him luck on his search and welcome to our family if you do buy a mustang regardless of year or model.
Old 05-18-2013, 01:10 AM   #52

Ive known plenty of people with gt's as their first car. There not hard to handle.
blackNwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 01:30 AM   #53
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
The question is whether or not your mature enough to own one and not street race/endanger people
MidnightBlueGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 01:51 AM   #54
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
If i had a Cobra for my first car i would have killed myself. Even after a year and a half of driving a truck before i got my Mustang i still have had some very close calls. Let him decide what he wants, don't try to force the idea of a cobra for a first car down his throat.

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 01:00 PM   #55
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post
If i had a Cobra for my first car i would have killed myself. Even after a year and a half of driving a truck before i got my Mustang i still have had some very close calls. Let him decide what he wants, don't try to force the idea of a cobra for a first car down his throat.
Couldn't agree more!! Starting with a v6 is a great idea. It teaches responsibility and allows you to dream and work toward a GT and eventually a Cobra. Starting with a 400hp supercharged (or even a 300 hp n/a) cobra isn't going to turn out well. Destroying the clutch in a v6 isn't as bad as dying in a cobra because you ruined the clutch at speed.
BackPressure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 08:26 PM   #56
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cranker View Post

A mustang is a 14 second car. If you think that is hard to drive then you need to drive a Prius. Sure you can spin the tires but I can do that in a 60k pound flat bed truck. He can get what he wants but a mustang is not so fast that a beginner can't drive it safely

---------- Post added at 09:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:24 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1996mustang View Post
Imo if dalton or op is deciding to join our kind we shouldnt judge what they decide. They have their own reasons for deciding whether its a v6 or gt. Botg can spin tires easily if learning manual for the first time on a stang.
I have a mustang.... Lol had one for a while now
3.73 Gears
XXR 521 Wheels
20x8.5 and 20x10.5
Count Dragula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 10:24 AM   #57
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
Well I started off with a kinda high hp car and I took my time and went slow the first time I got on it good and hard was a month after I got it running and that was at roll and kick down then I tried easy launches and why I felt comfortable I launched the crap out of it you just have to learn how to control it and have respect for it
Old 05-19-2013, 11:08 AM   #58
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSG2003 View Post

A mustang is a 14 second car. If you think that is hard to drive then you need to drive a Prius. Sure you can spin the tires but I can do that in a 60k pound flat bed truck. He can get what he wants but a mustang is not so fast that a beginner can't drive it safely

---------- Post added at 09:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:24 PM ----------

I have a mustang.... Lol had one for a while now
Dude you are being very ignorant with all your comments, yea a 99-04 Mustang GT is a low 14 second to high 13 second car. But earlier you told him to just get a cobra which is an 11 second car. I'm pretty sure you aren't a teenager buying your first car so you've driven for a while and your perception on power has changed. I used to think my dads Hyundai was fast, then I drove his corvette and got my mustang. I believe that NO ONE should have anything more than 250horsepower in a light car as their first car, unless its a truck. Yes you get a mustang for the power, but if you've never driven before and you jump into the seat of a 300hp or higher mustang then bad things will happen. Hell I even did some crazy stuff in my slow *** truck that could barely hit 90mph, if I would have had a mustang as my first car I would be dead or have been in jail.

HID end all thread
Old 05-19-2013, 11:09 AM   #59
slow281
Regular
Supporter

Region: Nebraska
Quote:

Dude you are being very ignorant with all your comments, yea a 99-04 Mustang GT is a low 14 second to high 13 second car. But earlier you told him to just get a cobra which is an 11 second car. I'm pretty sure you aren't a teenager buying your first car so you've driven for a while and your perception on power has changed. I used to think my dads Hyundai was fast, then I drove his corvette and got my mustang. I believe that NO ONE should have anything more than 250horsepower in a light car as their first car, unless its a truck. Yes you get a mustang for the power, but if you've never driven before and you jump into the seat of a 300hp or higher mustang then bad things will happen.
My first car was a 350hp bronco.. Hehehe
2003 V6 - Zinc Yellow
1990 LX 2.3 - project
sixpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 11:16 AM   #60
ME Bloodhound
Staff

It's a lot heavier than a mustang though, so that's fine (I do know that broncos have some balls though)

HID end all thread
Old 05-19-2013, 11:20 AM   #61
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Dude you are being very ignorant with all your comments, yea a 99-04 Mustang GT is a low 14 second to high 13 second car. But earlier you told him to just get a cobra which is an 11 second car. I'm pretty sure you aren't a teenager buying your first car so you've driven for a while and your perception on power has changed. I used to think my dads Hyundai was fast, then I drove his corvette and got my mustang. I believe that NO ONE should have anything more than 250horsepower in a light car as their first car, unless its a truck. Yes you get a mustang for the power, but if you've never driven before and you jump into the seat of a 300hp or higher mustang then bad things will happen. Hell I even did some crazy stuff in my slow *** truck that could barely hit 90mph, if I would have had a mustang as my first car I would be dead or have been in jail.
The reason I say get a cobra because even that car with a stock pulley on it isn't that much of a car to handle. Any car is drivable if you can resist the speed factor. My first car was a supercharged dodge ram that ran high 11s but mainly 12.5 because I never got tires. So yes I know how much too much is for a teenager. The man is 18 years old so I believe he has enough experience to drive a stock mustang. No I don't think someone his age needs a corvette or something of that caliber but a stock mustang is not hard at all to drive. A 15 to 16 second v6 is not much difference than a 14 to 14.5 stock gt. it's all about responsibility and resisting being dumb around other cars and also a bone stock cobra run in the 12s mainly mid to high 12s not 11s
3.73 Gears
XXR 521 Wheels
20x8.5 and 20x10.5
Count Dragula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 11:26 AM   #62
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Ok I agree with that, your earlier comments made it sound like you didn't even factor in the young age into the equation.

I like the title of OPs question though, of course if you go to a Mustang forum we are all going to recommend getting a Mustang lol

HID end all thread
Old 05-19-2013, 11:32 AM   #63
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savard View Post
Thanks for the response!I was considering buying a manual, obviously more MPG and funner once I learn it. I just heard a manual makes insurance go up because of the clutch having a chance of breaking, also I have to learn manual.
There was 2 mustangs close by on Craigslist for $4500 with only 99 and 100k miles, they were both 02's but they were manual. I have been considering it.
I had a 96 v6 first and it sparked my love for mustangs I'm 18 too and have an 02 GT, insurance didn't change at all going from a 96 v6 auto to a manual 02 GT but I burnt the clutch because it was the original clutch and I didn't know how to drive one also. 300$ to fix it here. Not to bad
Scream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 11:32 AM   #64
ME Bloodhound
Staff

OP if you truly think you are responsible enough to respect the car then go for the GT or cobra. I only say this because I know a lot of people who have crashed their cars because they are careless, I'm 18 also.

HID end all thread
Old 05-19-2013, 11:37 AM   #65
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
OP if you truly think you are responsible enough to respect the car then go for the GT or cobra. I only say this because I know a lot of people who have crashed their cars because they are careless, I'm 18 also.
He has a budget so cobra is out unless its a 96?
Old 05-19-2013, 11:41 AM   #66
ME Bloodhound
Staff

I would say a GT is a reasonable car for OP then, OP look around and see if there are any Bullitts in your area.

HID end all thread
Old 05-19-2013, 11:59 AM   #67
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I would say a GT is a reasonable car for OP then, OP look around and see if there are any Bullitts in your area.
._. I want a bullit so bad ! Lol there is a supercharged bullit black.for sale 14k around me
Old 05-19-2013, 12:52 PM   #68
slow281
Regular
Supporter

Region: Nebraska
Quote:
It's a lot heavier than a mustang though, so that's fine (I do know that broncos have some balls though)
Yeah.. Lol I hit a lot of things with it.. Usually on purpose..
2003 V6 - Zinc Yellow
1990 LX 2.3 - project
sixpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 08:30 AM   #69
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
There are so many V6 haters out there. Somebody is buying all the V6's that Ford makes. My first 2 Mustangs were straight 6 200 cubic inches single barrel carb. A 67 & a 68 coupe. And I had a blast in them. I eventually upgraded to a 70 302 Fastback then eventually a 70 Mach -1 351 Cleveland Hurst 4 Speed. The first 2 coupes cost $300 & $500. The 70 Fastback was $900. The Mach-1 was $1500. This was from 76-83. Mustangs were cheap used cars then.

The only thing I will agree with is it doesn't make a lot of sense to buy a V-6 and then dump thousands into it to bring it up to GT performance. You may as well start with a V8.

But some people may only have the budget and the needs for a V6. They may just want a daily driver that looks cool. It's all good. We are all Mustang enthusiast. Chill a bit.
Spiney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 08:35 AM   #70
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:
There are so many V6 haters out there.

We are all Mustang enthusiast. Chill a bit.
This. There are seriously people on this thread telling the kid that's considering a v6 to go buy a terminator...
AgentOrange is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT