Should i buy a Mustang? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-17-2013, 06:40 AM   #1

Region: Florida
Should i buy a Mustang?

For the past month i have been researching my butt off to find a good car for me to buy as my first car, and after long thinking and researching, i think i am gonna buy a Mustang.

But after all that, i still have doubts so i hope this post will answer my questions and get rid of that doubt in my mind.

My main question is... So many people tell me Mustangs cost a lot to maintain, is that true?
I will not be driving this car like a maniac it will be my main commute car.
I know Mustangs are not the best type of commute car because of MPG, but i have heard a lot of good and bad about Mustangs and i would like it all cleared up.

I will be buying a 99'-04' with around 100-120K miles on it. Assuming i go look at the car and everything is in check, and i drive it nicely, would it cost a lot to do regular maintenance / repairs?

Any hints,tips, or answers to my question would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
-Dalton
Savard is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2013, 06:44 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
If I were to buy a first car all over again, i would wait and save up for a cobra. 03-04
Slow4V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 06:48 AM   #3

So you are saying i shoulden't buy a 99'-04' V6?
I have 5000 to spend but have been able to get a few people down to 4000 but they have 120-125k miles on it.
Does 4k sound ok for a 03' with 120k miles?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2013, 07:10 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
A v6 mustang is a great reliable first car and no they do not cost a lot to maintain and yeah 4k is good if everything looks good
Old 05-17-2013, 07:18 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savard View Post
So you are saying i shoulden't buy a 99'-04' V6?
I have 5000 to spend but have been able to get a few people down to 4000 but they have 120-125k miles on it.
Does 4k sound ok for a 03' with 120k miles?
Your going to end up like me my 1st stang was a v6 and the more I seen a heard the difference in GTs I ended up selling mine and bought a GT.
JayStang718 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 07:54 AM   #6

The only reason I can't buy a GT is because people want more for them and that's my budget. Also they get less MPG especially as a automatic. I am 18 and use it to drive to school and work so I need as much MPG as I can get.Thanks turbo for the tip!
Old 05-17-2013, 07:54 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

I'm guessing you're young, so i'll say you are on the right track. Insurance would be more expensive with a GT, and you can get a MUCH nicer v6 for around 5k. I must add, though, that you should be able to find a v6 car with less than 100k for 5 grand. It's also worth noting that you'll have much much more fun with a manual transmission car than an automatic, especially considering you will be driving the less powerful six cylinder.
Our cars are not tough on maintenance. None of my Fords have been. My 04 GT has a pretty tough life as far as my driving goes, and it's up to 90k on nothing but fluid changes and a clutch.. wait, I had to add some refrigerant to the AC too wifey drives an 05 v6 and I haven't changed anything in her car but oil.
AgentOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 08:00 AM   #8

Thanks for the response!I was considering buying a manual, obviously more MPG and funner once I learn it. I just heard a manual makes insurance go up because of the clutch having a chance of breaking, also I have to learn manual.
There was 2 mustangs close by on Craigslist for $4500 with only 99 and 100k miles, they were both 02's but they were manual. I have been considering it.
Old 05-17-2013, 08:01 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentOrange View Post
I'm guessing you're young, so i'll say you are on the right track. Insurance would be more expensive with a GT, and you can get a MUCH nicer v6 for around 5k. I must add, though, that you should be able to find a v6 car with less than 100k for 5 grand. It's also worth noting that you'll have much much more fun with a manual transmission car than an automatic, especially considering you will be driving the less powerful six cylinder.
Our cars are not tough on maintenance. None of my Fords have been. My 04 GT has a pretty tough life as far as my driving goes, and it's up to 90k on nothing but fluid changes and a clutch.. wait, I had to add some refrigerant to the AC too wifey drives an 05 v6 and I haven't changed anything in her car but oil.
+1 I agree in my opinion our cars are much more fun 5spd
Old 05-17-2013, 08:13 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savard View Post
Thanks for the response!I was considering buying a manual, obviously more MPG and funner once I learn it. I just heard a manual makes insurance go up because of the clutch having a chance of breaking, also I have to learn manual.
There was 2 mustangs close by on Craigslist for $4500 with only 99 and 100k miles, they were both 02's but they were manual. I have been considering it.
Insurance shouldn't be higher based on the transmission. MPG will be better, and you'll have a heck of a lot more fun driving it. If either of those 02's have what you're looking for as far as color, interior, etc, then you should consider them. Only problem is you won't be able to test drive them if you don't know how to drive a manual yet.
Old 05-17-2013, 08:18 AM   #11

The manuals with 100k miles for 4500 do look nice, I just need to check the motors and all that. I am bringing a friend who can drive stick and if a car we look at has stick he will drive it and say how it is. Although if I do buy it I will practice with it of course.
Old 05-17-2013, 08:28 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Utah
They cost no more to maintain than any other car if you treat it good and dont drive it like a race car and abuse it 24/7. My 98 has 160k miles with no issues at all
Kevo91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 08:39 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
You'll be much happier in the end with a 5 speed unless you do your majority of driving in a city or high traffic area. Then you may be happier with automatic.

It's not hard to learn a stick. I'll tell you how I learned. I bought a new Mustang GT and learned by driving it home from the dealer.

Also buy what you can afford and are comfortable with. So many times on here people say "buy an 03-04 Cobra". Well that's all well and good but we don't all have $20-23,000 to buy a used car. I'd love to have a Porsche 911, but it's not going to happen.
Spiney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 09:06 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
16 Year old here, mustangs are a great first car. The 5 speed is what you really want, its rewarding and driving stick is a great skill to learn. Mustangs have normal maintinance costs and dont beat on the car and keep up with regular maintinance and you should be ready-to-roll every day.
Mustang936 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 09:22 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
If you can afford the insurance go for it. Ive had zero issues with mine. And get a good 22mpg
MidnightBlueGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 09:32 AM   #16

Region: Georgia
I would try to find a gt if I were you. You can find them under 5k. They don't cost as much as you would think. I wanted one for the longest time but thought it would be expensive but after buying one I found out there not. The v6 barely gets better mpg. I bought my gt when I was 20 and my insurance was only $80 a month. Trust me the v8 is worth it. You'll kick yourself for buying a v6
blackNwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 09:51 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackNwhite View Post
I would try to find a gt if I were you. You can find them under 5k. They don't cost as much as you would think. I wanted one for the longest time but thought it would be expensive but after buying one I found out there not. The v6 barely gets better mpg. I bought my gt when I was 20 and my insurance was only $80 a month. Trust me the v8 is worth it. You'll kick yourself for buying a v6

A v6 is good for a first vehicle. And at least in PA you cannot find a GT for anywhere near 5 if it's a 99-04. If you get a manual v6 you can still have a lot of fun. And my insurance on my 04 GT is only $112 a month. You'll like the v6 but you'll get the need for a V8 pretty quick. But it's good to get used to the 6 before getting the 8. You'll have fun either way. And my v6 was a 98 with 140,000 and I had NO problems with it
Technique251 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 09:53 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Hehe I bought mine for $4k but it wasn't running. I also see people selling them for 2800-3600 but you get what you pay for ie. a GT with no ECU and a bad tranny(2nd/3rd gear synchros are caked).

Also when you buy a cheap GT that means its going to end up like my car, a money pit. Every week I'm fixing something that I notice wasn't properly maintained.

If you look down that avenue of a cheap GT you better start using these forums and the knowledge on here because you most likely will have a lot of repair/maintenance projects.

There is a silver lining tho!

The people on this forum are amazingly knowledgable and friendly.

I NEVER attempted to work on any car I've ever owned until I got my GT and so far this car is pretty simple to work on. I have no other car I've worked on like this one for a baseline but the engine and all components are very simple and there are plenty of guides/tutorials on these cars for simple maintenance.
Ckennedy121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 10:02 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

I'd rather have a nice v6 than a rag GT I have to fix every other week.

I'll add that if I was going to buy a v8 on a budget, it'd be a Fox body.
Old 05-17-2013, 10:17 AM   #20

You can find a fine gt for 5k or one for a little more and talk them down to your price. Just take someone who knows about cars so they can look at it and know your not buying a piece. Im with the other guy if I had 5k to spend I'd go with a foxbody
blackNwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 10:39 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

What area do you live in OP? We can check the Craigslist in your area and see what's for sale and try to guide you in the right direction.
Old 05-17-2013, 11:22 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ckennedy121 View Post
What area do you live in OP? We can check the Craigslist in your area and see what's for sale and try to guide you in the right direction.
+1
Technique251 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 05:56 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayStang718 View Post

Your going to end up like me my 1st stang was a v6 and the more I seen a heard the difference in GTs I ended up selling mine and bought a GT.
That's the proper way to do it.
BackPressure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 06:03 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

If I were you I would save up to about 7000 and get a nice gt. Stay away from a manual with many miles unless you know when the clutch was replaced in it. I really think you will be disappointed in a v6 with the little power they put out. I would stay away from a convertible and manual if you don't want to deal with much upkeep
3.73 Gears
XXR 521 Wheels
20x8.5 and 20x10.5
Count Dragula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 06:20 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

I agree with DSG. V6s sure there mustangs but in all reality your going to be disappointed with the performance with this car. GTs aren't that bad as far as mpg either as long as you don't drive fast but that's easier said then done the acceleration and sound is highly addicting. As long as you get a manual and shift around 2000 Rpms you should be alright.
Old 05-17-2013, 06:27 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

The first car I bought was a 04 v6 5 sp. I loved it. You always want a GT, but if you can't get one then a v6 will have to do. And the only maintainance you have is oil changes and the occasional air filter. Oil changes are the #1 thing that you can do to make an engine last long. I put 100k on mine before some a hole pulled out in front of me and totaled it, and then ran away leaving me with the bill and a bad back . Nevertheless I ended up gettin my second v6 mustang and I love it even more than the first one.
Black on Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 06:29 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

I'm sticking against the grain on this one. You have a learning process ahead of you with your first car. Best it be a nicer v6 car with a manual than a GT with flaws. You can learn to drive a stick, and any mistakes you make (bumping things, breaking stuff, etc) won't feel like the end of the world. Insurance will be cheaper, gas as well. Drive your v6 while you're saving money for your future upgrade to a GT or whatever. When you have a year or two of safe driving under your belt, insurance won't crush you as badly, and you'll know cars better. Then you should upgrade. If you take care of your v6, you'll get most of your money back for it... they've already depreciated.
I drove a Grand Marquis for years, then bought a Civic(needed MPG) before I spent the change for my GT. I feel like owning a few "beaters" gave me a better appreciation for my current ride.
Old 05-17-2013, 08:55 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Get a v6. You won't be able to handle a gt as you're first car. You'll kill yourself.
Cranker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 08:58 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cranker View Post
Get a v6. You won't be able to handle a gt as you're first car. You'll kill yourself.
Are you serious? You act like they are a 10 second car out of the factory. If you can't handle a stock mustang then you need your man card and license taken away.
3.73 Gears
XXR 521 Wheels
20x8.5 and 20x10.5
Count Dragula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 08:59 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

I got my 02 GT 5speed with 80k miles for 4750. It had a full offroad exhaust. Cobra front bumper and seats, cold air intake and short shifter. The deals are out there u just gotta look. Oh ya and its my first car
Old 05-17-2013, 09:08 PM   #31
slow281
Regular
Supporter

Region: Nebraska
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cranker View Post
Hahahaha ur funny
2003 V6 - Zinc Yellow
1990 LX 2.3 - project
sixpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 09:16 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSG2003 View Post

Are you serious? You act like they are a 10 second car out of the factory. If you can't handle a stock mustang then you need your man card and license taken away.
They aren't ten second cars but they aren't corollas. It's much easier to spin tires and fish tail this car than other cars especially when you're young and inexperienced.

If you get a GT just take anywhere between a week and a month before you get on it.
Old 05-17-2013, 09:33 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

I don't know if I agree with the killing your self comment but I bought my 2003 GT right after high school at 18 and never regretted it. Granted I have driven V8s since I learned how to drive at 15. It just takes modesty and respect of the vehicle. And of course be extra careful in the rain and don't show off or be stupid for your friends. Either way a Gt or v6 a mustang is a great car!! Congrats on the decision and hope you find a great car
BigB227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 09:38 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToHellAndBack View Post
I got my 02 GT 5speed with 80k miles for 4750. It had a full offroad exhaust. Cobra front bumper and seats, cold air intake and short shifter. The deals are out there u just gotta look. Oh ya and its my first car
Lucky
Black on Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 09:49 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
V6 manual is fun gt manual is even better, but i have an auto it's just as fun I just prefer auto because I get tired of clutch, gas, then so many times I die manly because I newish to shifting but it not hard just be prepared to die a lot as you are new to sticks but when get hang of it you'll like it
Vmcgrath is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT