01 mustang GT cluster gauge - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-17-2013, 04:47 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular
 
Xaperez100's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: San antonio
Region: Texas
Posts: 1,230
01 mustang GT cluster gauge

Lights won't come on not do the brake lights unless you press the brake or turn but they won't turn on when you pull the Light switch out. Headlights come on though.
Xaperez100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 05-17-2013, 05:03 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular
 
Count Dragula's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Warner Robins
Region: Georgia
Posts: 1,320
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaperez100 View Post
Lights won't come on not do the brake lights unless you press the brake or turn but they won't turn on when you pull the Light switch out. Headlights come on though.
Fuse I believe
__________________
2007 Mustang Gt
2.3L Whipple Supercharger
Brenspeed Detroit Rocker Supercharger Cams
3.73 Gears
XXR 521 Wheels
20x8.5 and 20x10.5
Count Dragula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 05:26 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular
 
Xaperez100's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: San antonio
Region: Texas
Posts: 1,230
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSG2003 View Post

Fuse I believe
All fuses seem to be in tact.. None are blown
Xaperez100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 05-17-2013, 05:26 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular
 
Venomouz831's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Seaside
Region: California
Posts: 8,133
You checked them with a fuse tester?
__________________
)02 Gt, Founder of WE2G
Venomouz831 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 05:35 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Salinas
Region: California
Posts: 7,415
Just put in a new fuse.
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 05:56 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular
 
Xaperez100's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: San antonio
Region: Texas
Posts: 1,230
I've put in new fuses.. The cluster works. But the lights for the gauges don't turn on or the take lights. But the other lights come on like the miles and the CEL and brake and all those little ones show.
Xaperez100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 05:59 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular
 
Count Dragula's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Warner Robins
Region: Georgia
Posts: 1,320
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaperez100 View Post
I've put in new fuses.. The cluster works. But the lights for the gauges don't turn on or the take lights. But the other lights come on like the miles and the CEL and brake and all those little ones show.
Have you tried replacing the wiring? I think late model restoration has one
__________________
2007 Mustang Gt
2.3L Whipple Supercharger
Brenspeed Detroit Rocker Supercharger Cams
3.73 Gears
XXR 521 Wheels
20x8.5 and 20x10.5
Count Dragula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 06:14 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Salinas
Region: California
Posts: 7,415
Ok. I might have been wrong about the instrument lights and tailights being on the same circuit. All I have to go by at the moment is the owners manual I dont even see tailights mentioned. Only brake lights.
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 06:29 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular
 
Count Dragula's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Warner Robins
Region: Georgia
Posts: 1,320
Quote:
Originally Posted by straybullitt View Post
Ok. I might have been wrong about the instrument lights and tailights being on the same circuit. All I have to go by at the moment is the owners manual I dont even see tailights mentioned. Only brake lights.
He isn't talking about tail lights or brake lights I don't think. I think he is talking about the instrument panel. I may be wrong but I think he is talking about the cluster and the lights at the bottom of it.
__________________
2007 Mustang Gt
2.3L Whipple Supercharger
Brenspeed Detroit Rocker Supercharger Cams
3.73 Gears
XXR 521 Wheels
20x8.5 and 20x10.5
Count Dragula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 06:32 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Salinas
Region: California
Posts: 7,415
Hmmm. Now Im curious. I'd hate to be in a parking lot at night, trying to use the owners manual to troubleshoot a relatively minor problem. Am I missing something? Which fuse location is for the tailights?
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 06:53 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Salinas
Region: California
Posts: 7,415
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSG2003 View Post
He isn't talking about tail lights or brake lights I don't think. I think he is talking about the instrument panel. I may be wrong but I think he is talking about the cluster and the lights at the bottom of it.
I think that its the tailights and instrument lights. Do you have your owners manual handy DSG?
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 07:08 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Salinas
Region: California
Posts: 7,415
Alright. I found it. The fuse is in the power distribution box. Under the hood. Location #10. 30 amp fuse. Probably for the instruments too. I learn something every day!
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 11:44 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular
 
Xaperez100's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: San antonio
Region: Texas
Posts: 1,230
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3234921459.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	461.1 KB
ID:	109209



Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3060498448.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	434.9 KB
ID:	109210

Headlights on and still nothing cluster gauge lights don't turn on only the warnings and mileage

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1494392260.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	402.2 KB
ID:	109211

Taillights don't come on either...
Xaperez100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 11:53 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Salinas
Region: California
Posts: 7,415
Did you check the fuse in the power distribution box under the hood.
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 11:56 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus
Regular
 
deadsp0t's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: MidWorld
Region: Other
Posts: 4,786
It's either the headlight switch itself or the harness that plugs into it.
Remove the knob on the switch and the two screws that hold the trim around the gauges on and remove the trim.
Two screws hold the switch in place, pull the switch and inspect the harness.
Make sure all the female pins are pushed down and fit snugly over the male pins on the headlight switch.
Expect the harness/plug to be melted/charred. They can be brittle so be careful.. If its melted beyond use, you can probably get on at a junk yard, or I believe AM sells a replacement.
This is a very common issue.
__________________
That's unimpressive
deadsp0t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 12:02 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Salinas
Region: California
Posts: 7,415
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadsp0t View Post
It's either the headlight switch itself or the harness that plugs into it.
Remove the knob on the switch and the two screws that hold the trim around the gauges on and remove the trim.
Two screws hold the switch in place, pull the switch and inspect the harness.
Make sure all the female pins are pushed down and fit snugly over the male pins on the headlight switch.
Expect the harness/plug to be melted/charred. They can be brittle so be careful.. If its melted beyond use, you can probably get on at a junk yard, or I believe AM sells a replacement.
This is a very common issue.
Lol. Same problem on my F250. Been through about 5. Same thing on these too huh?
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 12:04 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular
 
Xaperez100's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: San antonio
Region: Texas
Posts: 1,230
Quote:
Originally Posted by straybullitt View Post
Did you check the fuse in the power distribution box under the hood.
Yup:/

---------- Post added at 12:04 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:03 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by straybullitt View Post

Lol. Same problem on my F250. Been through about 5. Same thing on these too huh?
Wait same problem? What did you change out?
Xaperez100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 12:05 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Salinas
Region: California
Posts: 7,415
Check the headlight switch like Deadspot said.
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 12:06 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular
 
Xaperez100's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: San antonio
Region: Texas
Posts: 1,230
Quote:
Originally Posted by straybullitt View Post
Check the headlight switch like Deadspot said.
I did I'm gonna try something though ill tell y'all if it works out!
Xaperez100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 12:07 AM   #20
Moderator Emeritus
Regular
 
deadsp0t's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: MidWorld
Region: Other
Posts: 4,786
100% it's the switch it harness/plug for the switch.. Had this issue on two mustangs and two thunderbirds
__________________
That's unimpressive
deadsp0t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 12:28 AM   #21
Registered User
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: San Antonio
Region: Texas
Posts: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaperez100 View Post

I did I'm gonna try something though ill tell y'all if it works out!
.

---------- Post added at 12:28 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:27 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by straybullitt View Post
Alright. I found it. The fuse is in the power distribution box. Under the hood. Location #10. 30 amp fuse. Probably for the instruments too. I learn something every day!
It was the 30 amp fuse and replaced it and now it works man and thank you so much
deadphantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 12:44 AM   #22
Moderator Emeritus
Regular
 
deadsp0t's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: MidWorld
Region: Other
Posts: 4,786
Really......
__________________
That's unimpressive
deadsp0t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 12:45 AM   #23
Registered User
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: San Antonio
Region: Texas
Posts: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadsp0t View Post
Really......
Yes sir
deadphantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 12:46 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Salinas
Region: California
Posts: 7,415
Handle change Perez? Glad I could help. If it blows again carefully inspect the headlight switch like Deadspot said.
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 01:00 AM   #25
Moderator Emeritus
Regular
 
deadsp0t's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: MidWorld
Region: Other
Posts: 4,786
Quote:
Originally Posted by straybullitt View Post
Handle change Perez? Glad I could help. If it blows again carefully inspect the headlight switch like Deadspot said.
Exactly, fuses are a fail safe for something shorting out..
Check the headlight switch/plug, it's very likely damaged and will short and pop the fuse again or damage the switch.
__________________
That's unimpressive
deadsp0t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 01:02 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular
 
Xaperez100's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: San antonio
Region: Texas
Posts: 1,230
Yeah we got it there was a slit in the wire for some reason. We got it fixed though! Thanks for the help everyone!
Xaperez100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 01:06 AM   #27
Moderator Emeritus
Regular
 
deadsp0t's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: MidWorld
Region: Other
Posts: 4,786
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaperez100 View Post
Yeah we got it there was a slit in the wire for some reason. We got it fixed though! Thanks for the help everyone!

Glad you got it!
Electrical issue can be frustrating lol
__________________
That's unimpressive
deadsp0t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 01:33 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular
 
Xaperez100's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: San antonio
Region: Texas
Posts: 1,230
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadsp0t View Post


Glad you got it!
Electrical issue can be frustrating lol
Yeah I know lol I'm usually good when it comes to electrical problems.. But when it happens I was puzzled lol I did notice any blown fuses lol
Xaperez100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


» Like Us On Facebook



05:49 PM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.