Sct tuner - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-17-2013, 06:07 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular
 
96smoke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Raleigh
Region: North Carolina
Posts: 226
Sct tuner

I already talked to the bama team at AM and I'm getting some new tunes sent to me but wanted you guys opinions/input

Put on a 87 street tune on my 96 GT. Upper intake plenum, K&N cai, o/r x pipe, slp lm1s. Stock for the most part but now when I'm cruising and the RPMS are at like 2200 I let completely off the gas and it doesn't drop like it used to... It goes down really slow now and I had the issue before when I had a vacuum leak but that's not the case now cause right when I put the tune on it does this

Anyone had this issue too?
96smoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 05-17-2013, 06:10 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular
 
Count Dragula's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Warner Robins
Region: Georgia
Posts: 1,320
Quote:
Originally Posted by 96smoke View Post
I already talked to the bama team at AM and I'm getting some new tunes sent to me but wanted you guys opinions/input

Put on a 87 street tune on my 96 GT. Upper intake plenum, K&N cai, o/r x pipe, slp lm1s. Stock for the most part but now when I'm cruising and the RPMS are at like 2200 I let completely off the gas and it doesn't drop like it used to... It goes down really slow now and I had the issue before when I had a vacuum leak but that's not the case now cause right when I put the tune on it does this

Anyone had this issue too?
Are you talking about when it is still in gear or when you press the clutch in?
__________________
2007 Mustang Gt
2.3L Whipple Supercharger
Brenspeed Detroit Rocker Supercharger Cams
3.73 Gears
XXR 521 Wheels
20x8.5 and 20x10.5
Count Dragula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 07:14 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular
 
96smoke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Raleigh
Region: North Carolina
Posts: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSG2003 View Post

Are you talking about when it is still in gear or when you press the clutch in?
Well if I'm cruising in 3rd at 2200 and let off the gas not touching the clutch they go down really slow. If Im coming to a stop light and throw it in neutral, it's fine

Does the same thing at idle, rev up to 2200 or so and they drop really slow then it stops around 1200 and then drops down to 700 or so for the normal idle setting for the tune

Never did this before so I know it's the tuner and I'm sure they marked something up on my custom tune that I didn't have on the car like a MAF or TB
96smoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 05-17-2013, 07:43 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular
 
1lowGT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Region: Missouri
Posts: 3,903
Did you submit that you had upgraded tb or maf if you do?

---------- Post added at 07:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:43 PM ----------

Never mind i read the post over again.
__________________
2003 GT - full bolts ons, suspension, and drag radials
1998 cummins - 150hp injectors | FASS fuel kit | 4" straight pipe | 5" lift | BHAF | 20" wheels | edge juice w/ attitude | built auto trans with stall | closing in on 900tq | bigger turbo soon..

Follow me on instagram @nicknold for car and truck pictures
1lowGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 07:45 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular
 
96smoke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Raleigh
Region: North Carolina
Posts: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1lowGT View Post
Did you submit that you had upgraded tb or maf if you do?

---------- Post added at 07:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:43 PM ----------

Never mind i read the post over again.
Lol they're sending me new tunes. Hopefully they work and fix it I just wanted to see if anyone else had the issue
96smoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 07:52 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular
 
1lowGT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Region: Missouri
Posts: 3,903
I'm getting my tuner in tomorrow! Definitely stoked.
__________________
2003 GT - full bolts ons, suspension, and drag radials
1998 cummins - 150hp injectors | FASS fuel kit | 4" straight pipe | 5" lift | BHAF | 20" wheels | edge juice w/ attitude | built auto trans with stall | closing in on 900tq | bigger turbo soon..

Follow me on instagram @nicknold for car and truck pictures
1lowGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 08:01 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular
 
96smoke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Raleigh
Region: North Carolina
Posts: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1lowGT View Post
I'm getting my tuner in tomorrow! Definitely stoked.
Outside of this minor mishap, it's so worth it.. The amount of power gained is great and you can't help but smile from ear to ear
96smoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 09:47 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular
 
1lowGT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Region: Missouri
Posts: 3,903
I can't wait!
__________________
2003 GT - full bolts ons, suspension, and drag radials
1998 cummins - 150hp injectors | FASS fuel kit | 4" straight pipe | 5" lift | BHAF | 20" wheels | edge juice w/ attitude | built auto trans with stall | closing in on 900tq | bigger turbo soon..

Follow me on instagram @nicknold for car and truck pictures
1lowGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 01:33 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular
 
cliffyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Region: Florida
Posts: 1,001
There are a number of settings in the tune that control the virtual "dashpot" function the PCM uses to control rpm when the throttle is closed, both at idle and when it is closed when decelerating. They are generally not altered in performance tunes, not to say they cannot be...
__________________
SOLD! - 2003 GT, UPR X, FRPP 24lb/h, Magnaflow, PP 70mm TB & plenum, Delta Force tuned,
Steeda UDPs, Ralco flywheel, RAM HDX clutch, 3.73s, 262 rwHP/305 lb-ft.

New ride (7/1/2013) 1998 Mercedes SL500-5.0L 32V VVT 326/347 HP/tq
cliffyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 03:30 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular
 
96smoke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Raleigh
Region: North Carolina
Posts: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffyk View Post
There are a number of settings in the tune that control the virtual "dashpot" function the PCM uses to control rpm when the throttle is closed, both at idle and when it is closed when decelerating. They are generally not altered in performance tunes, not to say they cannot be...
Just took the tune off and returned it to stock... Perfectly fine doesn't do it anymore so I know for sure it's something set in the tune
96smoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 02:35 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular
 
96smoke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Raleigh
Region: North Carolina
Posts: 226
Ok so since I posted this I've had 2 new sets of tunes sent to me and not one of them changed anything. The fact the RPMS don't hang during the stock ecu settings keeps me from believing that a part is malfunctioning because once the tunes on, it hangs RPMS.

I need some insight other than from the bama team cause nothing they've done has truly helped. I just don't know what it could be
96smoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 03:44 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular
 
cliffyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Region: Florida
Posts: 1,001
Without knowing what changes BAMA made to the tunes it is not possible to say for certain why what you are experiencing is happening--though it does obviously seem to be the tune.

Unfortunately SCT, like all tuning product vendors, encrypt the tune files meaning they can only be viewed/edited with SCT software. With that access it would take just a few minutes to load the tunes side-by-side in an editor and see what the differences are.

What response/feedback have BAMA provided? Did they tell you what in the tune they have been "playing with" in attempting to fix the problem,
__________________
SOLD! - 2003 GT, UPR X, FRPP 24lb/h, Magnaflow, PP 70mm TB & plenum, Delta Force tuned,
Steeda UDPs, Ralco flywheel, RAM HDX clutch, 3.73s, 262 rwHP/305 lb-ft.

New ride (7/1/2013) 1998 Mercedes SL500-5.0L 32V VVT 326/347 HP/tq
cliffyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 04:15 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular
 
96smoke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Raleigh
Region: North Carolina
Posts: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffyk View Post
Without knowing what changes BAMA made to the tunes it is not possible to say for certain why what you are experiencing is happening--though it does obviously seem to be the tune.

Unfortunately SCT, like all tuning product vendors, encrypt the tune files meaning they can only be viewed/edited with SCT software. With that access it would take just a few minutes to load the tunes side-by-side in an editor and see what the differences are.

What response/feedback have BAMA provided? Did they tell you what in the tune they have been "playing with" in attempting to fix the problem,
Apparently in the most recent one they sent they messed with the dashpod and the TB opening etc. can't remember exactly what he said but I do remember he said the dashpod was the main things they messed with
96smoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 05:55 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular
 
cliffyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Region: Florida
Posts: 1,001
They should just leave the dashpot settings alone and not change them from the stock tune.

Do you know what your box code (Ford calls it the catchword) is? It will be a 4-character code, three letters and a number, on a label on the PCM connector socket...
__________________
SOLD! - 2003 GT, UPR X, FRPP 24lb/h, Magnaflow, PP 70mm TB & plenum, Delta Force tuned,
Steeda UDPs, Ralco flywheel, RAM HDX clutch, 3.73s, 262 rwHP/305 lb-ft.

New ride (7/1/2013) 1998 Mercedes SL500-5.0L 32V VVT 326/347 HP/tq
cliffyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 07:44 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular
 
96smoke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Raleigh
Region: North Carolina
Posts: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffyk View Post
They should just leave the dashpot settings alone and not change them from the stock tune.

Do you know what your box code (Ford calls it the catchword) is? It will be a 4-character code, three letters and a number, on a label on the PCM connector socket...
Yeah it's GGL3
96smoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 06:13 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular
 
96smoke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Raleigh
Region: North Carolina
Posts: 226
Bringing this back..

So took some carb cleaner and checked everywhere to see if I had a vacuum leak. And it didn't have one but when spraying between the stock TB and my aftermarket plenum, it changed the idle. So I'm thinking get a 70mm TB, or it needs a new gasket?

Also, with my tune on it's making the alternator whine loudly as if I had a s/c lol and it seems as if it's running harder...

And during all of this it's still throwing p1443, so could the TB/plenum issue be causing it? Ik it's for the purge valve but I'm really confused now lol

Thanks for the help
96smoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 07:51 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular
 
cliffyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Region: Florida
Posts: 1,001
Quote:
Originally Posted by 96smoke View Post
Bringing this back..

So took some carb cleaner and checked everywhere to see if I had a vacuum leak. And it didn't have one but when spraying between the stock TB and my aftermarket plenum, it changed the idle.
That is a vacuum leak.

Quote:
So I'm thinking get a 70mm TB, or it needs a new gasket?
Or just a new gasket.

Quote:

Also, with my tune on it's making the alternator whine loudly as if I had a s/c lol and it seems as if it's running harder...

And during all of this it's still throwing p1443, so could the TB/plenum issue be causing it? Ik it's for the purge valve but I'm really confused now lol

Thanks for the help
I cannot imagine what settings in the tune could cause the generator to whine, unless the idle speed is too high...
__________________
SOLD! - 2003 GT, UPR X, FRPP 24lb/h, Magnaflow, PP 70mm TB & plenum, Delta Force tuned,
Steeda UDPs, Ralco flywheel, RAM HDX clutch, 3.73s, 262 rwHP/305 lb-ft.

New ride (7/1/2013) 1998 Mercedes SL500-5.0L 32V VVT 326/347 HP/tq
cliffyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 09:48 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular
 
96smoke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Raleigh
Region: North Carolina
Posts: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffyk View Post

That is a vacuum leak.

Or just a new gasket.

I cannot imagine what settings in the tune could cause the generator to whine, unless the idle speed is too high...
Alright well I'll look into getting a new gasket and going from there. And I'll be calling bama to figure out what could possibly cause the alternator issue.

I assume just pick up a new gasket from ford?
96smoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


» Like Us On Facebook



03:43 AM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.