Mach 1 vs cobra - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-19-2013, 04:24 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Mach 1 vs cobra

Working on selling the GT to buy either a mach 1 or a 99-01 cobra. What are some positives and negatives of both? I know they are rated at the same hp but have minor differences. And don't say get a termi because as much as I'd like to, it's out of my budget for now.
Matticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2013, 04:43 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
id get a mach cuz that hood and shaker look sexy. plus i love the interior

Low2v
Horseplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 04:53 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
The only real difference that comes to mind for me is I believe the cobra is irs and the Mach is sra
98vertgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2013, 05:01 PM   #4
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Cobra has IRS, Mach is SRA.

Mach has revised heads, 99/01 Cobras are unrevised heads. Both shortblocks are the same powdered rods and hyper pistons. Both are also aluminum blocks. 99 Cobras and some 01s will be Teksid blocks. Some 01s and all Machs will be the WAP.

Exterior/interior is to your taste.

Mach has the option for an automatic and the Mach automatic computers were the fastest ones of any Mustang prior to 05. If you do get an Auto, get an 04 with the upgraded 4R75W. If you plan on big power in a straight line, find a clean Mach 1 automatic. The Machs also came with a higher RPM stall converter than the GT did but it was still single disc. They ALSO, unfortunately, have a cast crank vs the forged one in the 5 spd but that's not really an issue seeing as the stock rods are still the same junk powdered rods anyway lol.

I'd probably go with the Cobra myself but that's just me. For the IRS and I just like the look of the Cobra better.
scottydsntknow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 05:04 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
^ pretty much explained it all. Its almost just personal preference. Id go with a svt but either are great cars.
MidnightBlueGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 05:09 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
ScottyDOESknow
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 05:15 PM   #7
Staff
Regular
Staff

Lol, about a few things. Also both cars have identical intakes minus the badging on them plus obviously the Mach has the shaker system attached to it.
Old 05-19-2013, 05:20 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
I'd go with the Mach.
Doe_Rae_mi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 05:31 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

It seems about 50/50 haha. I love the exterior of the cobra, but I'm assuming the revised heads on the Mach's help them flow better. Tough choice...I'm guessing insurance would be about the same right?
Old 05-19-2013, 05:45 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matticus View Post
It seems about 50/50 haha. I love the exterior of the cobra, but I'm assuming the revised heads on the Mach's help them flow better. Tough choice...I'm guessing insurance would be about the same right?
Insurance may be cheaper on the cobra because its older. Parts are cheaper but it wouldn't be a big difference if any
3.73 Gears
XXR 521 Wheels
20x8.5 and 20x10.5
Count Dragula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 05:46 PM   #11
Staff
Regular
Staff

Insurance is about the same, Mach will make a little more power but its nothing too significant. Both should get the cooling mod done to them though. Like I said I'd do the Cobra mainly for the IRS and I'm not a huge fan of the retro interior on the Mach. Also the shaker is pretty much a gimmick and its kind of hard to see over it.
Old 05-19-2013, 05:54 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Buddy of mine has a mach and loves it, but he's selling for a manual car rather than an auto.
MidnightBlueGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 06:52 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arkansas
I'd spring for a manual Mach 1 and slap a 99/01 cobra bumper on it. I adore the shaker (even though it's all but worthless, but it alludes the the glory days of American cars). Yeah, yeah, hate all you want on my stereotypical Mach exterior, fellas. I'd also shoot for azure blue and black out the lift on the hood and throw in some tasteful black accents without making it teenager-looking (or "murdered" as the kids call it).
I feel that the revised heads in the Mach provide a better starting base (I'd forge the crank and pistons in either motor anyways to ditch that cast garbage) and start working on N/A power. You don't understand building a motor until you can make big numbers without forced induction.
Something like this would be my ideal Mach:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2633977458.jpg
Views:	1440
Size:	161.9 KB
ID:	109122  
BackPressure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 07:37 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackPressure View Post
I'd spring for a manual Mach 1 and slap a 99/01 cobra bumper on it. I adore the shaker (even though it's all but worthless, but it alludes the the glory days of American cars). Yeah, yeah, hate all you want on my stereotypical Mach exterior, fellas. I'd also shoot for azure blue and black out the lift on the hood and throw in some tasteful black accents without making it teenager-looking (or "murdered" as the kids call it).
I feel that the revised heads in the Mach provide a better starting base (I'd forge the crank and pistons in either motor anyways to ditch that cast garbage) and start working on N/A power. You don't understand building a motor until you can make big numbers without forced induction.
+1!
White03GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 07:56 PM   #15
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn
Mach
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 08:36 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackPressure View Post
That's one of the best looking ones I've seen!
Old 05-19-2013, 08:57 PM   #17
Staff
Regular
Staff

That car looks surprisingly good with a 99/01 Cobra bumper but good luck finding one and have fun with how much they cost when you do... An actual 99/01 Cobra with the Mach spoiler would have the same front lol.

The Revised heads may be a better starting point but I am of the opinion that TOO much emphasis is put on getting them and for the money I think I'd rather get a set of clean C heads for $200 (about what you should pay), get a valve job and just drop them in. If you want the revised power just add a few psi of boost and call it a day or have the short turn radius on the exhaust worked on a little by a competent porter.

As for the forged crank, all Cobras have them and all 5 spd Machs have them. As I said, all modulars minus the Terminators have crap powdered rods and hyper pistons so you'd have to upgrade anyway not to mention the cast crank is good for more power than 99% of ppl will push provided the RPM is kept below 6500 which is also where 99% of ppl cut it off anyway.

I still say the Cobra is worth it for the IRS alone unless you want the car to be faster in the 1/4. In that case, as I said before, get the automatic Mach, J-mod it, bolt ons, tune and blam 11 second car easy consistently all day.

Also, any reason you are not considering the lowly 2V? 2Vs can be silly fast for about the same money as the 4V cars and are a lot LOT cheaper, even a Bullitt if you want something not everyone has.
Old 05-19-2013, 11:19 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
That car looks surprisingly good with a 99/01 Cobra bumper but good luck finding one and have fun with how much they cost when you do... An actual 99/01 Cobra with the Mach spoiler would have the same front lol.

The Revised heads may be a better starting point but I am of the opinion that TOO much emphasis is put on getting them and for the money I think I'd rather get a set of clean C heads for $200 (about what you should pay), get a valve job and just drop them in. If you want the revised power just add a few psi of boost and call it a day or have the short turn radius on the exhaust worked on a little by a competent porter.

As for the forged crank, all Cobras have them and all 5 spd Machs have them. As I said, all modulars minus the Terminators have crap powdered rods and hyper pistons so you'd have to upgrade anyway not to mention the cast crank is good for more power than 99% of ppl will push provided the RPM is kept below 6500 which is also where 99% of ppl cut it off anyway.

I still say the Cobra is worth it for the IRS alone unless you want the car to be faster in the 1/4. In that case, as I said before, get the automatic Mach, J-mod it, bolt ons, tune and blam 11 second car easy consistently all day.

Also, any reason you are not considering the lowly 2V? 2Vs can be silly fast for about the same money as the 4V cars and are a lot LOT cheaper, even a Bullitt if you want something not everyone has.
I love my 2v, I just have always wanted a Cobra or Mach. They are more iconic in my opinion, not to down a GT in any way. They can be fierce when built right.
Old 05-19-2013, 11:38 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

I'd buy this one in a heart beat, hands down.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-3041947849.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	168.5 KB
ID:	109207  
Old 05-20-2013, 12:27 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California

Name:	image-2728559973.jpg
Views:	2714
Size:	435.6 KB
ID:	109216

I was in the market for a Mach because they are a little newer and I like the interior better, but they are more pricey than the cobra so I went with a cobra. I also like the IRS on it. You can't go wrong with either. Here's my cobra
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-3175890485.jpg
Views:	523
Size:	475.1 KB
ID:	109217   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1074390725.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	465.2 KB
ID:	109218  

Name:	image-1322823505.jpg
Views:	458
Size:	508.8 KB
ID:	109219   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3382522821.jpg
Views:	295
Size:	457.6 KB
ID:	109220  

Old 05-20-2013, 09:11 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

This is such a hard choice but if it was me i would settle for whichever car i could get a better deal on, there is no wrong choice when it comes to choosing and everyone has put up awesome looking examples of mach 1s and 99-01 cobras
Mustang936 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 09:25 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

A buddy of mine just bought an orange 03 cobra with 64xxx miles for $14.5k only mod is a bassani cat back. Clean as ****. There are great deals out there, just got to be patient and search
Old 05-20-2013, 09:30 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by White03GT View Post
A buddy of mine just bought an orange 03 cobra with 64xxx miles for $14.5k only mod is a bassani cat back. Clean as ****. There are great deals out there, just got to be patient and search
I wish i was that guy even though i dont think the 03s came in orange... might be an 04
Mustang936 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 09:38 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang936 View Post

I wish i was that guy even though i dont think the 03s came in orange... might be an 04
Either way it's a termi lol. Ill get a few pics of it sometime this week. It's a sexy car. I almost bought it about a year ago for 17k but some dude traded a mean *** ws6 for it and He ended up getting kicked out of a local club because if it so yeah

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT