Ugly quarter window trim - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-19-2013, 10:27 PM   #1

Region: Illinois
Ugly quarter window trim

Hi, I'm new to the forum. I just got a bone stock black 01 gt 3 weeks ago. I love the car except for one thing... The weird quarter circle trim around the rear windows. I keep seeing people reference a conversion kit to the 05+ up style but my googling has not found any. Does anybody know anything about this conversion? Thanks in advance!
Chanced1211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2013, 10:31 PM   #2
slow281
Regular
Supporter

Region: Nebraska
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chanced1211 View Post
Hi, I'm new to the forum. I just got a bone stock black 01 gt 3 weeks ago. I love the car except for one thing... The weird quarter circle trim around the rear windows. I keep seeing people reference a conversion kit to the 05+ up style but my googling has not found any. Does anybody know anything about this conversion? Thanks in advance!
Take a picture of what ur talking about.
2003 V6 - Zinc Yellow
1990 LX 2.3 - project
sixpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 10:46 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixpac View Post

Take a picture of what ur talking about.
See the trim around the quarter window on the dark green stang and how it's round? I want it to look similar to the quarter window on the yellow stang

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2602751937.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	156.2 KB
ID:	109186

Name:	image-2638278470.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	133.8 KB
ID:	109172
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-1405246302.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	91.4 KB
ID:	109174   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1733044028.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	440.3 KB
ID:	109184  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2013, 10:50 PM   #4
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter

Region: Texas
I've never heard of any conversion to the quarter window of the new edge to make it look like an '05-'09. Other then window louvers that cover the window up.
primer2tone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 10:55 PM   #5
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Tennessee
+1. OP must be referring to louvers. Go to American muscle and find them.
Tint, louvers, Shelby brake light cover, sequentials, brake vent ring delete, Shorty antenna, JLT cold air intake, BAMA tune, VMP 2.5 S/C pulley, Ford racing shifter, MRT OR-H, SLP loudmouths, BMR adj PHB, BMR LCA, Eibach Pro-Kit, cobra jet big oval TB.
Ubnbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 11:03 PM   #6

I've looked into louvres, but I drive close to 50 miles a day on the highway. So I hesitate to go that route because of fuel costs. Do you know if it really makes a noticeable mpg difference?
Old 05-19-2013, 11:18 PM   #7
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter

Region: Texas
Louvers won't make a noticeable difference in mpg's. I'd stay away from stick on parts and put your money into a good tune if you wanna save mpg's.
primer2tone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 11:25 PM   #8
slow281
Regular
Supporter

Region: Nebraska
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chanced1211 View Post
I've looked into louvres, but I drive close to 50 miles a day on the highway. So I hesitate to go that route because of fuel costs. Do you know if it really makes a noticeable mpg difference?
No it won't effect mpgs
2003 V6 - Zinc Yellow
1990 LX 2.3 - project
sixpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 11:30 PM   #9

Okay, I'll definitely get the louvres then. Thanks for your help!
Old 05-20-2013, 12:11 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
They are only a cosmetic mod, if you drive 50 miles everyday at highway speeds they wont last long especially with them only being taped on. Get a tuner from american muscle to get rid of the stock tune and save some mpgs on a street tune and get that hidden power that is trapped.
1lowGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 04:51 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1lowGT View Post
They are only a cosmetic mod, if you drive 50 miles everyday at highway speeds they wont last long especially with them only being taped on. Get a tuner from american muscle to get rid of the stock tune and save some mpgs on a street tune and get that hidden power that is trapped.
I'm looking into a few tuners, but is there a way to make the louvres more permanent? Like fiberglassing or bondo? I'm going to paint the car this fall, so I might as well do it right
Old 05-20-2013, 05:06 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
I put louvers on my car in December. They're stuck on there with 3M Double Sided Tape, since december I've put about 1500 miles of mixed driving and so far there are no signs of coming off.
ccabral14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 05:09 PM   #13
Registered Member

Regular

Some of the louvers screw on. I got stick on louvers and used upgraded adhesive. I bought a 3/8 3m auto adhesive. My louvers wouldn't come off in a hurricane.

BAMA tuners are great. Of course you have the option to get a custom dyno tune or you can buy one from BAMA and have them send tunes to you email every time u do an upgrade. They do safer tunes so u might not get as much out of them as u might a custom dyno tune but they do a heck of a job and you can't beat them.
Tint, louvers, Shelby brake light cover, sequentials, brake vent ring delete, Shorty antenna, JLT cold air intake, BAMA tune, VMP 2.5 S/C pulley, Ford racing shifter, MRT OR-H, SLP loudmouths, BMR adj PHB, BMR LCA, Eibach Pro-Kit, cobra jet big oval TB.
Old 05-20-2013, 09:54 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubnbit View Post
Some of the louvers screw on. I got stick on louvers and used upgraded adhesive. I bought a 3/8 3m auto adhesive. My louvers wouldn't come off in a hurricane.

BAMA tuners are great. Of course you have the option to get a custom dyno tune or you can buy one from BAMA and have them send tunes to you email every time u do an upgrade. They do safer tunes so u might not get as much out of them as u might a custom dyno tune but they do a heck of a job and you can't beat them.
Okay, so ill use an upgraded adhesive. But I'm going to go off on a tangent. For the tuners, I've always been told by my dad (a mechanic) that they're a sure way to kill a transmission. How do the stock trannys hold up with a tuner? My car has 117k on it and I don't think the guy who had it before me took care of it because the oil was jet black and the shocks were toast when I first got it. So will the extra power put me at risk for toasting my tranny?
Old 05-20-2013, 10:02 PM   #15
Registered Member

Regular

There are guys on here who have tunes with very low miles and have their cars still running perfectly after many many thousands of miles. There is no direct relation between tuner and tranny. Not unless u include the fact that u might work it more from applying more foot to pedal. Lol. But seriously, by no means taking away anything from u dad, it's not related.
Old 05-20-2013, 10:20 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubnbit View Post
There are guys on here who have tunes with very low miles and have their cars still running perfectly after many many thousands of miles. There is no direct relation between tuner and tranny. Not unless u include the fact that u might work it more from applying more foot to pedal. Lol. But seriously, by no means taking away anything from u dad, it's not related.
Okay that's good, my dad just always told me that the trannys were only rated to handle stock engine power and since the tuner increases torque and hp, it was hard on the transmission. But it's good to hear our trannys aren't cheaply made. Thanks everybody for your input!
Old 05-20-2013, 10:31 PM   #17
Registered Member

Regular

Yeah the tranny is good to go. Don't let that keep u from tuning. It will be able to handle it just fine.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT