chirping noise at idle on clutch,could be throw out bearing? - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-25-2013, 03:07 AM   #36
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by fctwf View Post

Really??? I would of never thought it could be that how did you figure that out?
WHAT BALL?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-25-2013, 03:09 AM   #37
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJstanger View Post

WHAT BALL?
He said somewhere between the forks.. i have no idea either
fctwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 07:21 AM   #38
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcastro7608 View Post
hey all i read about 5 posts and everyone kept saying throw out bearing. Its NOT. I had the same problem with my mustang and its actually a super common problem with theses mustangs. I thought it was the TOB too. Its actually the ball between the tranny forks. it gets so hot the ball dries out and squeaks. All you have to do is drop down the dust cover in the tranny and lube the ball between the forks and the noise will go away. It has to be done pretty often tho but better than putting in s TOB. hope this helps!
When adults are talking kids are quiet at the dinner table.
Ckennedy121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-25-2013, 07:25 AM   #39
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
I think he means the pivot ball. Yes they will make noise but I persoonally think its more like a squeak than a chirp. And then only when you push the clutch pedal in.

Fwiw, when I replaced my clutch, installed a new pivot ball and lubed it up with high temp disc caliper grease.

But I still think op's issue is tob if its a chirp
FanOfSkynyrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 09:20 AM   #40
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arkansas
Let me help. I have a video of each.

The first is a video of my car when I got it. My shift fork had gone completely dry and had started rattling/chirping. For what it's worth, my TOB was also cracked and my pilot bearing was broken as well. The second is one of numerous failed TOB videos on YouTube.
http://youtu.be/OqPU8hqHYgs
http://youtu.be/n-jWyrM71Ow
BackPressure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 01:20 PM   #41
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by BackPressure View Post
Let me help. I have a video of each.

The first is a video of my car when I got it. My shift fork had gone completely dry and had started rattling/chirping. For what it's worth, my TOB was also cracked and my pilot bearing was broken as well. The second is one of numerous failed TOB videos on YouTube.
http://youtu.be/OqPU8hqHYgs
http://youtu.be/n-jWyrM71Ow
Yeah its the same like the first video but yours was ticking a lil
fctwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 02:35 PM   #42
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
To get my pilot bearing out I had to try TWO hammer slides, rented both broke one, tried heavy grease, tried wads of watered paper (that hurt) eventually I just chiseled it out (Im going to try that first next time lol)

---------- Post added at 02:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:32 PM ----------

I lubed my pivot ball with high temp molly grease, no problems yet...
Billymich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 08:58 PM   #43
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
hey sry i didn't get back to this thread sooner didn't think people would be this interested lol. well i bought my mustang last year and it had that squeal since the day i bought it. I had 4 buddies look it ( all mechanics, some who race) and they all had something different to say and it got to the point where i was convinced it was a TOB. I brought it back to the guy i bought it from and he swore to make me happy so he sent it to his mechanic. they put in a new TOB to keep me happy even tho it turned out it didn't need it. He told me the guy dropped open the dust door to the tranny and used white lithium on the ball between the forks and the squeak was gone for about 3 months but came back eventually. Its actually super common on this body style mustang. I bought it to a local mechanic and told him to lube it again and kinda half assed it and it never went away. U have to get in there and make sure you hit it u can't just spray blindly into the dust door like my guy did. I wish i had more to elaborate on but thats really all thats to it. so please don't just jump into getting a TOB without at least trying this first. Id love for ppl to get back to me on this and let me kno if this helped them like it helped me. Thanks guys!
Jcastro7608 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 12:26 AM   #44
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDF View Post
It's the throw-out bearing.
I have a 99 cobra but when idling its quiet but when I engage the clutch it whines. Is this a throw out bearing problem?
FortyBrandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 10:10 AM   #45
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by FortyBrandon View Post

I have a 99 cobra but when idling its quiet but when I engage the clutch it whines. Is this a throw out bearing problem?
I honestly don't know. Does it happen when the clutch pedal is pushed in, or just in gear when driving around?
Mile high JDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 10:16 AM   #46
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Nope just when clutch put in. I've had people say its the tob but from where I read a lot it sounds like it only happens when clutch isn't engaged. Mines quiet as can be but once that clutch goes down this aching whining noise happens. Even when I rev the engine the sound gets louder. It didn't happen till after I had trans swapped. Someone said they might have not torqued it right?
FortyBrandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 10:32 AM   #47
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcastro7608 View Post
hey sry i didn't get back to this thread sooner didn't think people would be this interested lol. well i bought my mustang last year and it had that squeal since the day i bought it. I had 4 buddies look it ( all mechanics, some who race) and they all had something different to say and it got to the point where i was convinced it was a TOB. I brought it back to the guy i bought it from and he swore to make me happy so he sent it to his mechanic. they put in a new TOB to keep me happy even tho it turned out it didn't need it. He told me the guy dropped open the dust door to the tranny and used white lithium on the ball between the forks and the squeak was gone for about 3 months but came back eventually. Its actually super common on this body style mustang. I bought it to a local mechanic and told him to lube it again and kinda half assed it and it never went away. U have to get in there and make sure you hit it u can't just spray blindly into the dust door like my guy did. I wish i had more to elaborate on but thats really all thats to it. so please don't just jump into getting a TOB without at least trying this first. Id love for ppl to get back to me on this and let me kno if this helped them like it helped me. Thanks guys!

I have had multiple mustangs and never ONCE had this issue or even heard of it. Also -1 for letting some random dude spray lubricant all over your clutch...

Also please explain to me how one pulls the clutch fork off the pivot ball with the trans in the car/clutch installed.

2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 03:14 PM   #48
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
I had this problem didn't know what to do? Just so happened my plastic clutch pedal quadrant broke. So I bought an adjustable clutch cable kit, with the quadrant, cable, & adjustable firewall spacer from UPR. Total cost was like $80. I installed it and adjusted it and the squeak/chirp went away...
Mathew r Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 03:16 PM   #49
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
I have had multiple mustangs and never ONCE had this issue or even heard of it. Also -1 for letting some random dude spray lubricant all over your clutch...

Also please explain to me how one pulls the clutch fork off the pivot ball with the trans in the car/clutch installed.

Lol I thought the same thing
Billymich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 05:36 PM   #50
Registered Member
Regular

I used a big flat head screw driver when I did it by myself but if you had two people then have one press the clutch in and you can release it that way. Just you tube it man it's really not hard at all... YouTube-(bbk adjustable clutch cable)... Hope this helps...
Old 06-04-2013, 09:45 PM   #51
Registered Member
Regular

http://youtu.be/wVovmrqtC9k

---------- Post added at 09:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:44 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathew r Wright View Post
Sorry it took so long...
Old 06-04-2013, 11:08 PM   #52
Staff
Regular
Staff

Yeah that is not that hard I was asking how dude claiming to be able to lube up the pivot ball with the trans installed in the car planned on doing that lol. I wonder if they made him pay for a blinker fluid refill when he had them do it...
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 11:15 PM   #53
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I was wondering what that sound was. Now I know! Damn it! More money!
2000 Mustang Gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 01:33 AM   #54
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000 Mustang Gt View Post
I was wondering what that sound was. Now I know! Damn it! More money!
Yeah lol I kept hearing this piping noise too, little did I know it was the plastic quadrant slipping and wearing out...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT