Did I buy a lemon? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-26-2013, 11:55 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Did I buy a lemon?

I have had my 01 GT for 3 months now. In that time I have spent more on this car than any other car before. Chasing a cylinder misfire and an obnoxious squeak and grinding in the rear. Last night as I was driving my inlet on my intake manifold for coolant snapped spaying my engine bay with coolant. Are all these things normal upkeep for an older sports car or should I cut my loses and move on. I cant think of any car I would rather own than a Mustang, but I cant continue to get nickel and dimed. I really don't want to replace the whole intake manifold, but I see no other option.
GreenBean 1809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-26-2013, 11:57 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
How much did you pay for it?

---------- Post added at 12:57 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:56 AM ----------

Sounds like its wasnt properly maintained or cared for. Dont give up on stangs because some idiot ruined it and sold it to you.
MidnightBlueGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 12:06 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

I got it for 7500 with 80k on the ticker. Is very clean, just cant get it running correct, bout at my wits end. All mechanics around here are useless. Have had to do everything myself. Had it at 3 dif shops all saying nothing is wrong. Very frustrating.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2013, 12:09 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Idk why it's giving you so much trouble. Thats not a bad price for one in good condition. We're you informed of any issues?
Old 05-27-2013, 12:14 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenBean 1809 View Post
I have had my 01 GT for 3 months now. In that time I have spent more on this car than any other car before. Chasing a cylinder misfire and an obnoxious squeak and grinding in the rear. Last night as I was driving my inlet on my intake manifold for coolant snapped spaying my engine bay with coolant. Are all these things normal upkeep for an older sports car or should I cut my loses and move on. I cant think of any car I would rather own than a Mustang, but I cant continue to get nickel and dimed. I really don't want to replace the whole intake manifold, but I see no other option.
All 2Vs IMO are junk ,

A lot of problems that's why I sold mine
Slow4V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 12:25 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

I bought it from a dealership so no problems were brought to my attention. I am considering selling it for what I paid for it and trying my luck with an older cobra, if that doesn't work out tho i will wash my hands of the Mustang name. Sucks because i rly like the car.
Old 05-27-2013, 12:27 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

4v stangs are cool. You won't regret owning one. Just be sure the thoroughly check the car our before purchasing.
Old 05-27-2013, 12:42 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightBlueGT View Post
4v stangs are cool. You won't regret owning one. Just be sure the thoroughly check the car our before purchasing.
When did the 4v stangs come out or change from 2v?
Old 05-27-2013, 12:46 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2013mustang5.0 View Post

When did the 4v stangs come out or change from 2v?
4v came out in the 96 cobra. There has never been a 2v cobra
98vertgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 01:15 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98vertgt View Post

4v came out in the 96 cobra. There has never been a 2v cobra
I ment in the gt
Old 05-27-2013, 01:21 AM   #11
slow281
Regular
Supporter

Region: Nebraska
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2013mustang5.0 View Post

I ment in the gt
Hasn't been one.. The gt was a 2v 96-04 then 3v 05+ dk about 10-14
2003 V6 - Zinc Yellow
1990 LX 2.3 - project
sixpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 01:29 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixpac View Post

The new body stil had a 3v now the 5.0 is a 4v
Old 05-27-2013, 01:31 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

It astounds me how little people know about their own cars. Anyways, the cobra is a 97 with 43k miles. In rly nice shape. Just not sure if i want to buy one that old. I just don't see myself keeping this GT long term, and thus my not wanting to spend anymore cash on it. Been debating the subject all day.
Old 05-27-2013, 01:37 AM   #14
slow281
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
It astounds me how little people know about their own cars. Anyways, the cobra is a 97 with 43k miles. In rly nice shape. Just not sure if i want to buy one that old. I just don't see myself keeping this GT long term, and thus my not wanting to spend anymore cash on it. Been debating the subject all day.
Early 01 or late 01?

---------- Post added at 01:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:32 AM ----------

Quote:
99-early 01 have had the manifold leaking problems.. Seams like I have had squeaking noises in all my mustangs lol.. Rear end is probably just bad luck and cylinder misfire has been a known issue..

---------- Post added at 01:37 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:36 AM ----------

They changed a lot in late 01 and 02 too fix some of the small problems..
2003 V6 - Zinc Yellow
1990 LX 2.3 - project
Old 05-27-2013, 02:06 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

99- early 01 and late 01-04 GTs are totally different cars. IMO
Old 05-27-2013, 03:07 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by sixpac View Post

99-04 2v 05-10 3v 11-.. 4v
White03GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 08:02 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Yes early 01. Feel like im driving a ticking time bomb.
Old 05-27-2013, 08:07 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

nothing wrong with my 2v and its got 117k on her. my brothers 01 has over 175k+ and running strong as ****. maybe u were just sold a bad lemon like u said. if it gives u more issues just try selling

Low2v
Horseplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 08:36 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horseplay View Post
nothing wrong with my 2v and its got 117k on her. my brothers 01 has over 175k+ and running strong as ****. maybe u were just sold a bad lemon like u said. if it gives u more issues just try selling
+1 as long as you take care of your 2v it will last many miles
zinc_yellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 09:16 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

The only component I've ever had to replace due to failure on my 2v is a TPS.
AgentOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 02:13 PM   #21
slow281
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow4V View Post
+1 when I was shopping I turned down many 99-00

---------- Post added at 02:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:11 PM ----------

Quote:
Yes early 01. Feel like im driving a ticking time bomb.
So your stereo is two separate peaces right?
2003 V6 - Zinc Yellow
1990 LX 2.3 - project
Old 05-27-2013, 02:22 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

You bought a 12-year old car, with 80k miles and an unknown service history--which is unfortunately pretty much my definition of a "ticking time bomb".

As to the misfire, has any one of the mechanics tested the compression and vacuum? Did they use a diagnostic scope to view the primary ignition signatures?

Under what conditions does the misfire occur?

New ride (7/1/2013) 1998 Mercedes SL500-5.0L 32V VVT 326/347 HP/tq
cliffyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 03:51 PM   #23
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
All 2Vs IMO are junk ,

A lot of problems that's why I sold mine
No, just no. You either didn't take care of yours or got yours from someone who didn't take care of it prior to you or you were just unlucky.

Quote:
There are a few differences but I would not turn down a clean 99/00. The t-45 is fine, swap to a newer PI intake takes an hour and if you are that worried about the threads in the windsor PI heads then don't be stupid and use a torque wrench when you put the plugs in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentOrange View Post
The only component I've ever had to replace due to failure on my 2v is a TPS.
Yeah, my car has a 99 PI engine in it with almost 90k on the motor now and it goes like a raped ape. If there is a sensor issue or anything that is just a time change item that is GOING to happen on a car that is about a decade old at the NEWEST.

Greenbean: What exactly is happening, what conditions is it happening under and have you done a tune up since you've had the car? Could be a COP going out, could just be old plugs, could be a sensor somewhere, could be a bad O2... I mean scanning for codes can be done for free at any Autozone and will go a long way towards letting you know what's wrong. The intake issue you had with the coolant is a WELL KNOWN AND DOCUMENTED issue that honestly you should have educated yourself on before you picked up an early PI equipped car.

Honestly sounds like this car needs a complete tune up as to all new COPs, new plugs, check for vac leaks, pull codes, new O2s, new fuel filter and go from there.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 04:10 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Misfire happens when under a load. I have replaced fuel filter, spark plugs, all COPs, cleaned the MAF. Car is throwing no codes. Pressure test showed fuel pump is running fine.
Old 05-27-2013, 05:00 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post

No, just no. You either didn't take care of yours or got yours from someone who didn't take care of it prior to you or you were just unlucky.

There are a few differences but I would not turn down a clean 99/00. The t-45 is fine, swap to a newer PI intake takes an hour and if you are that worried about the threads in the windsor PI heads then don't be stupid and use a torque wrench when you put the plugs in.

Yeah, my car has a 99 PI engine in it with almost 90k on the motor now and it goes like a raped ape. If there is a sensor issue or anything that is just a time change item that is GOING to happen on a car that is about a decade old at the NEWEST.

Greenbean: What exactly is happening, what conditions is it happening under and have you done a tune up since you've had the car? Could be a COP going out, could just be old plugs, could be a sensor somewhere, could be a bad O2... I mean scanning for codes can be done for free at any Autozone and will go a long way towards letting you know what's wrong. The intake issue you had with the coolant is a WELL KNOWN AND DOCUMENTED issue that honestly you should have educated yourself on before you picked up an early PI equipped car.

Honestly sounds like this car needs a complete tune up as to all new COPs, new plugs, check for vac leaks, pull codes, new O2s, new fuel filter and go from there.
I did take care of it , and they are piece of junks ,
They should of just put 4Vs in the GTs

---------- Post added at 05:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:57 PM ----------

First I had to replace the clutch

Then had to replace the radiator
Then had to replace the compressor
Then had to replace the heater core
Then had to replace the evaporator
Then I had to replace my engine so i just rebuilt it
Then i had to redo my clutch because the TOB went out,
Then had to replace my manifold because it cracked in the back
Then my water pump was leaking

Idk I would never ever buy another GT unless it was my last resort , or had a supercharger.
Old 05-27-2013, 05:08 PM   #26
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
I did take care of it , and they are piece of junks ,
They should of just put 4Vs in the GTs

---------- Post added at 05:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:57 PM ----------

First I had to replace the clutch

Then had to replace the radiator
Then had to replace the compressor
Then had to replace the heater core
Then had to replace the evaporator
Then I had to replace my engine so i just rebuilt it
Then i had to redo my clutch because the TOB went out,
Then had to replace my manifold because it cracked in the back
Then my water pump was leaking

Idk I would never ever buy another GT unless it was my last resort , or had a supercharger.
What in your engine was bad so you needed to rebuild? Every single other thing you posted has 0 to do with the 2V and everything to do with accessories going bad which can happen just as easy on a 4V.

For all intents and purposes, the 4V is identical to the 2V except for heads cams/intake. Obviously minus the Terminator engines. You seem to conveniently forget any 4V issues like the overheating cylinder issues, gumming up of the IMRCs/secondary intake ports on B headed cars and the fact that there are 0 new head castings being produced for the 4V and clean cores are getting very hard to find unless you want to settle for a B headed 4V.

Seems like you were just unlucky with accessories and supporting parts going bad, not the 2V itself until it needed replaced. I'd understand if you just said "Mustangs are a POS" but your statement and evidence... no just no... too many reliable 2Vs out there to prove you wrong. Hell, look at all the 200-300k Crown Vic taxis still running around. Guess what they are powered by?

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 05-27-2013, 07:15 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

What in your engine was bad so you needed to rebuild? Every single other thing you posted has 0 to do with the 2V and everything to do with accessories going bad which can happen just as easy on a 4V.

For all intents and purposes, the 4V is identical to the 2V except for heads cams/intake. Obviously minus the Terminator engines. You seem to conveniently forget any 4V issues like the overheating cylinder issues, gumming up of the IMRCs/secondary intake ports on B headed cars and the fact that there are 0 new head castings being produced for the 4V and clean cores are getting very hard to find unless you want to settle for a B headed 4V.

Seems like you were just unlucky with accessories and supporting parts going bad, not the 2V itself until it needed replaced. I'd understand if you just said "Mustangs are a POS" but your statement and evidence... no just no... too many reliable 2Vs out there to prove you wrong. Hell, look at all the 200-300k Crown Vic taxis still running around. Guess what they are powered by?
Your wrong
Forged crank , different compression , Etc .

---------- Post added at 07:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:15 PM ----------

Quote:

I have a C not a B
Old 05-27-2013, 07:21 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Step dad's Mark VIII has 240k. His 5.4 truck has 190k. Modulars treat you the same way you treat them.
AgentOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 07:39 PM   #29
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Your wrong
Forged crank , different compression , Etc .

---------- Post added at 07:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:15 PM ----------

I have a C not a B
I said for all intents and purposes, I know the differences. When it boils down to it they are the same reliability wise. I'd actually argue the 2V is MORE reliable with less moving parts to break. Your car has the same pistons, the same powdered rods, the block is aluminum but the same dimensionally, accessories are similar or same etc... And some 4Vs have a cast crank... automatic Mach 1s do

Old 05-27-2013, 07:45 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Sounds like a blown head gasket that would make your engine misfire and/or put more Pressure in your coolent to blow your Radiator hose off
Cobra Seb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 07:48 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

My 03 gt has had zero issues other then my heater core hose was leaking and made it misfire, easy fix and with 172,xxx miles thing runs like a champ
Old 05-27-2013, 07:48 PM   #32
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentOrange View Post
Step dad's Mark VIII has 240k. His 5.4 truck has 190k. Modulars treat you the same way you treat them.
Yeah man the modulars are VERY reliable. My Expy is a 5.4L 2V that I beat on daily and it just goes. Of course now that I said that I'll need to buy all new COPS or something or whatever lol.

Old 05-27-2013, 09:17 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

I was just looking for advice as to if i should fix my current GT or move on to something else. No spark a debate on weather or no 2 valves are reliable.
Old 05-27-2013, 09:31 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I was just looking for advice as to if i should fix my current GT or move on to something else. No spark a debate on weather or no 2 valves are reliable.
Well once you get everything fixed and replaced you shouldn't have to worry about it for awhile lol. Sounds like you've just had a bad experience due to previous owners **** ups. If I were you I'd keep it unless something major happens. Little things are going to happen on every make and model
Old 05-27-2013, 11:26 PM   #35
slow281
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
I would keep it I know a lot of people running 140+ thousand miles with no major problems fix what's wrong and drive it IMO
2003 V6 - Zinc Yellow
1990 LX 2.3 - project

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT