Have to have my engine rebuilt :( - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-27-2013, 05:27 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wyoming
Have to have my engine rebuilt :(

Have to have my engine rebuilt in La-a. (Pronounced Ladasha) anyway long story short she has close to 200k miles on her. I was driving and hit a pot hole full of water and completely messed up the internals inside. So I will be buying a rebuild kit from Summit racing and was curious as to which kit you think would be better.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/fe.../model/mustang

or

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/fe.../model/mustang

The top one has slightly bored internals and was just wondering if I will have to do anything to the block to have that fit or if I should just go with the standard rebuild kit in the bottom link. I will be buying cams as well but will be getting those from American Muscle. Hope to get some good input back from you guys.

Also if you know of any better rebuild kits feel free to post a link as well. Thank you
Barrett775 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2013, 06:06 PM   #2
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
You can get a relatively low mileage running pullout PI motor for less than either of those prices. Go that route and forget rebuild kits from Summit regardless of what you decide to do.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 06:10 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
You can get a relatively low mileage running pullout PI motor for less than either of those prices. Go that route and forget rebuild kits from Summit regardless of what you decide to do.
Bad experiences with there rebuild kits?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2013, 06:16 PM   #4
Staff
Regular
Staff

Bad experiences with Summit engine parts in general. They are fine for accessories and stuff but honestly you can find better stuff elsewhere for better prices too. Summit whores Chevy too much anyway... I have not bought a part from Summit in YEARS... I get all my basic maintenance stuff from Rockauto and Mustang specific stuff from LRS/CJP/AM etc...

I'm just saying you can get a low mileage pullout from something like a Vic that some old person drove 20 miles a week for 10 years and babied and garaged and is going to be almost new and drop right in/start right up. I would never buy a "rebuild kit" when there are a bazillion PI 2Vs out there waiting to be bought and dropped in. I will be "rebuilding" my Teksid but that is going to be with forged parts and def not from Summit.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 05-27-2013, 06:24 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Bad experiences with Summit engine parts in general. They are fine for accessories and stuff but honestly you can find better stuff elsewhere for better prices too. Summit whores Chevy too much anyway... I have not bought a part from Summit in YEARS... I get all my basic maintenance stuff from Rockauto and Mustang specific stuff from LRS/CJP/AM etc...

I'm just saying you can get a low mileage pullout from something like a Vic that some old person drove 20 miles a week for 10 years and babied and garaged and is going to be almost new and drop right in/start right up. I would never buy a "rebuild kit" when there are a bazillion PI 2Vs out there waiting to be bought and dropped in. I will be "rebuilding" my Teksid but that is going to be with forged parts and def not from Summit.
Thank you for the info. Is a 99 "Pi"
Old 05-27-2013, 06:27 PM   #6
Staff
Regular
Staff

Any 4.6L PI will work. I'd personally try for a 02-05 Explorer since you get the aluminum WAP block with that one but you will probably pay a bit more. Check the yards and shops around you to see who has what. The best ones pricewise are usually the motors put in old person boats like Crown Vics.

Old 05-27-2013, 06:31 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Any 4.6L PI will work. I'd personally try for a 02-05 Explorer since you get the aluminum WAP block with that one but you will probably pay a bit more. Check the yards and shops around you to see who has what. The best ones pricewise are usually the motors put in old person boats like Crown Vics.
Thank you bud. Stupid question but what is the difference between Pi and non Pi and which is the mustang built with.
Old 05-27-2013, 06:38 PM   #8
Staff
Regular
Staff

It isn't just the Mustang, its all modulars. NPI=Non Power Improved, PI=Power Improved. 99-up is PI, 98-below is NPI. Difference is better head design, much better cams and much better intake. The NPI heads have actually been proven to be ok, most of the PI power is locked up in the cams and intake but you should still always upgrade to PI heads if able. Difference in power is a good 50hp. There is a reason I always say a SN95 with a 4.6L GT badge on the side is the biggest sleeper Mustang there is. The NPI is completely anemic.

Old 05-27-2013, 07:00 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
It isn't just the Mustang, its all modulars. NPI=Non Power Improved, PI=Power Improved. 99-up is PI, 98-below is NPI. Difference is better head design, much better cams and much better intake. The NPI heads have actually been proven to be ok, most of the PI power is locked up in the cams and intake but you should still always upgrade to PI heads if able. Difference in power is a good 50hp. There is a reason I always say a SN95 with a 4.6L GT badge on the side is the biggest sleeper Mustang there is. The NPI is completely anemic.
I appreciate your input bro. Def make me think. I could probably go buy a 4.6 for cheap around town I've only asked if they've had mustangs. Never thought to ask them if they had a 4.6 liter engine.
Old 05-27-2013, 07:51 PM   #10
Staff
Regular
Staff

Yep, a PI engine is a PI engine. Vic, Exploder, Stang, even one out of a truck, just make sure it's a 4.6L.

Old 05-27-2013, 07:58 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yep, a PI engine is a PI engine. Vic, Exploder, Stang, even one out of a truck, just make sure it's a 4.6L.
I appreciate it bro. I'll have to start looking around for an engine.
Old 05-27-2013, 09:41 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrett775 View Post

I appreciate it bro. I'll have to start looking around for an engine.
Buy a npi engine and put your current heads and intake on that. Plus your cams or whatever. That'd be pretty dope
White03GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 09:49 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

So I found out my girlfriends, sisters boyfriend is an ASE certified mechanic and offered to rebuild my engine for me at no cost a long as I buy all the parts.
Old 05-27-2013, 10:11 PM   #14
Staff
Regular
Staff

I'd still buy a running engine and just have him swap the motors for you. Done in a day by a good mechanic, almost no down time.

Old 05-27-2013, 10:23 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I'd still buy a running engine and just have him swap the motors for you. Done in a day by a good mechanic, almost no down time.
This does make sense. Hmm seems to be a safer alternative to rebuilding the engine.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT