BBK UCAs - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-27-2013, 05:37 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
BBK UCAs

Are they good or bad? My car isn't a DD or a race car. Just a weekend rider in the summer. May hit a few AutoX events but that's about it.
02GTvert is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2013, 06:04 PM   #2
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Bad, as are all aftermarket UCAs. If you are going to do the UCAs, replace them with stock Ford units as the poly tubular ones will bind up the rear like crazy.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 06:45 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Bad, as are all aftermarket UCAs. If you are going to do the UCAs, replace them with stock Ford units as the poly tubular ones will bind up the rear like crazy.
Don't listen to this guy

Fet
Slow4V is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2013, 06:56 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow4V View Post

Don't listen to this guy

Fet
Get the read tubular upper and lower control arms , they are a lot stronger than than the weak ford ones, you will see a lot better 60 fts and a whole lot more traction, you can go ahead and remove the quad shocks while your at it, They are useless when you upgrade the Control arms
Slow4V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 07:56 PM   #5
Staff
Regular
Staff

Yep don't listen to me. Don't listen to Max Motorsports either, there is a reason they don't make or sell aftermarket UCAs.

We performed extensive testing of rear upper control arm bushing materials during the development of our Panhard Bar. When retaining the original four-link suspension, the best compromise between resistance to suspension bind, best control of axle position, best ride quality, and least potential damage to the chassis, is to retain rubber bushings in the rear upper control arms. This is especially important when adding a Panhard Bar. The compliance of a rubber-bushed upper control arm is required when a Panhard bar is added to the Mustang four-link suspension.

Link

This is common knowledge man. Aftermarket uppers will bind up the rear suspension, period. If you really want to upgrade the solid axle rear you need to ditch the 4 link suspension anyway. Torque arm/panhard bar setup or swap to an IRS with upgraded bushings.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 05-28-2013, 02:26 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Get the read tubular upper and lower control arms , they are a lot stronger than than the weak ford ones, you will see a lot better 60 fts and a whole lot more traction, you can go ahead and remove the quad shocks while your at it, They are useless when you upgrade the Control arms
Its not the first time I heard not to get them. Lowers are good but uppers are bad and have no flex to them, so they will either break or the mounts will break eventually. I was just trying to see if someone had this experience. Check this out>> Un-Official Suspension Guide he seems very knowledgeable. I think I'm just going to sell the UCAs and put the LCAs on and eventually get the set up that guy is running when funds are available.
Old 05-28-2013, 02:32 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Yep don't listen to me. Don't listen to Max Motorsports either, there is a reason they don't make or sell aftermarket UCAs.

We performed extensive testing of rear upper control arm bushing materials during the development of our Panhard Bar. When retaining the original four-link suspension, the best compromise between resistance to suspension bind, best control of axle position, best ride quality, and least potential damage to the chassis, is to retain rubber bushings in the rear upper control arms. This is especially important when adding a Panhard Bar. The compliance of a rubber-bushed upper control arm is required when a Panhard bar is added to the Mustang four-link suspension.

Link

This is common knowledge man. Aftermarket uppers will bind up the rear suspension, period. If you really want to upgrade the solid axle rear you need to ditch the 4 link suspension anyway. Torque arm/panhard bar setup or swap to an IRS with upgraded bushings.
Thanks man! I just wanted to make sure it wasn't just one guy saying they are bad.
Old 05-28-2013, 08:34 PM   #8
Staff
Regular
Staff

Yeah man, even the full polyurethane bushing equipped LCAs like the BBKs/MACs etc... aren't the best. They can bind up too and poly is not really something you want to put in the suspension. Delrin is better.

Old 06-07-2013, 09:16 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Well you will increase way to much bind in UCAs and torque boxes. Not good for drag car with high hp. If anything go with a spherical UCA you can adjust for pinion angle. SO I don not recommend running polyurethane bushings.
Old 06-08-2013, 08:26 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
You guys do realize when you change the UCA that the factory rubber bushing remains pressed in the rear end. I have a set of UPR upper and lowers and have zero problems. I used a ton of energy suspension red lithium grease and made sure not to over torque the bolts. Just install the upper and lower control arms and be done with it.
Mzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 12:38 PM   #11
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mzilla View Post
You guys do realize when you change the UCA that the factory rubber bushing remains pressed in the rear end. I have a set of UPR upper and lowers and have zero problems. I used a ton of energy suspension red lithium grease and made sure not to over torque the bolts. Just install the upper and lower control arms and be done with it.
Yes there is a rubber bushing in the rear. Does not change the fact that the poly bushing on the other end induces binding. A ton of grease will not change this fact whatsoever, grease has 0 to do with deflection, it'll just keep it quieter for awhile...mayble... Obviously you should always use a torque wrench for stuff like this.

Old 06-08-2013, 01:41 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

The other alternative would be to run spherical rod ended UCAs if u do not wish to run rubber OEM bushings.. AgainI do not recommend running polyurethane bushings in the UCAs especialy for cars that are setup for handling. It will also lead to a handling situation called snap oversteer and make the car very unpredictable.

The best thing hands down would be to eliminate the UCAs all together to rid the rear
axle of binding issues. No other way of doing it other then going to an IRS setup.

http://mustangforums.com/forum/6386467-post4.html

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT