Twin Turbo or Vortec Super Charger - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-29-2013, 01:39 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Twin Turbo or Vortec Super Charger

So what do you think guys?

Two of my buddies are selling twin turbo set up & a supercharger set up.
BeasGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-29-2013, 01:44 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Send a message via Skype™ to bullitt1075
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeasGT View Post
So what do you think guys?

Two of my buddies are selling twin turbo set up & a supercharger set up.
What brands and for how much?
Proud owner of Bullitt #1075
bullitt1075 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 01:58 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
If you can afford the supporting mods go tt all day.
MidnightBlueGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-29-2013, 03:07 PM   #4
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Is the TT a Hellion? Gotta know what brand it is. In any case the Vortech will be cheaper, easier to install, less maintenance and on the stock motor will make just as much power as the TT kit.

Also, if your car is a stick I'd go with the supercharger. IMO, turbo Mustangs should all be automatics. Automatics and turbos go together like peas and carrots.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 10:29 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Someone on here told me Ellison east a good brand. And is it centri or twin screw?

Follow me on instagram @nicknold for car and truck pictures
1lowGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 10:34 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Dude sorry but twin turbo all day, that will make tons more power than a supercharger
McNassty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 10:44 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

And you will want to build your bottom end up on either application and turbo is safer either way you go
Old 05-29-2013, 10:55 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Supercharger forces air in turbocharger sucks it through
Old 05-29-2013, 10:59 PM   #9
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by McNassty View Post
Dude sorry but twin turbo all day, that will make tons more power than a supercharger
On the stock block he is limited to around 450whp MAX and should probably keep it under 425whp to be safe. So in that respect either one is fine on the stock block.

Quote:
And you will want to build your bottom end up on either application and turbo is safer either way you go
Depends on his goals, as I said a solid 400whp is totally safe and doable with a good tune on a stock block. Either blower will get you there

Quote:
Supercharger forces air in turbocharger sucks it through
Do go on about how a supercharger forces air in and a turbo sucks it through...

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 05-29-2013, 11:06 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

I'm sorry I forgot how you and diesel are the great know it alls
Old 05-29-2013, 11:10 PM   #11
Staff
Regular
Staff

So no elaboration on how a Turbo sucks air but a supercharger forces it in? Because they both do both and a centrifugal supercharger is identical in operation to a turbo with the obvious exception that one is belt driven and one is exhaust driven.

Old 05-29-2013, 11:13 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Exactly exhaust driven as in sucks air through the engine (turbo), forces air through the intake (supercharger)
Old 05-29-2013, 11:14 PM   #13
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Exactly exhaust driven as in sucks air through the engine (turbo), forces air through the intake (supercharger)
Um, no.

I'm glad we have people like you giving advice...

Old 05-29-2013, 11:15 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

I'm scared that we have people like you chiming in on every thread
Old 05-29-2013, 11:17 PM   #15
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
I'm scared that we have people like you chiming in on every thread
Lol, go read up on how a turbo works and get back to me and whoever else. Turbos do not suck air through the engine.

Old 05-29-2013, 11:18 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
So no elaboration on how a Turbo sucks air but a supercharger forces it in? Because they both do both and a centrifugal supercharger is identical in operation to a turbo with the obvious exception that one is belt driven and one is exhaust driven.
+1
Old 05-29-2013, 11:20 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Quote:

Lol, go read up on how a turbo works and get back to me and whoever else. Turbos do not suck air through the engine.
+1

2016 Comp Orange GT (current)
Aurora - 2002 Boosted GT! (Sold, sadly)
ColeJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 11:21 PM   #18
Staff
Regular
Staff

I think he was actually saying that a turbo sucks air through the engine to make more power? Gotta love internet racers/info recylcers.

Old 05-29-2013, 11:30 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I think he was actually saying that a turbo sucks air through the engine to make more power? Gotta love internet racers/info recylcers.
I think I understand the thought process. Turbo runs off exhaust so you could argue that it creates a vacuum to pull air through the engine, out the exhaust, back into the turbo.. Or something. Idk.

Old 05-29-2013, 11:37 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

So the exhaust gases that cause the turbine to spin which cause more air to flow through the intake which causes more vacuum through the exhaust is the same as an intake ran by a belt which causes the S/C to force more air through the intake is pretty much the same?
Old 05-29-2013, 11:41 PM   #21
Staff
Regular
Staff

No... a turbo creates positive PSI run off waste exhaust gas from the headers. There is no vacuum whatsoever in the turbo system and this is illustrated in the fact that you can easily bog the motor between shifts.

As I said, the principle of a supercharger and turbocharger are the same. Both force air into the motor from the outside. More air=more fuel=more power provided the motor/tune is good for it. Just happens that one is driven by pressure from the exhaust and one is driven by a belt from the accessory drive.

---------- Post added at 12:41 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:38 AM ----------

Quote:
So the exhaust gases that cause the turbine to spin which cause more air to flow through the intake which causes more vacuum through the exhaust is the same as an intake ran by a belt which causes the S/C to force more air through the intake is pretty much the same?
There is no vacuum in the exhaust. Exhaust is forced out on the exhaust stroke of the engine, it is all positive pressure.

Old 05-29-2013, 11:43 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
No... a turbo creates positive PSI run off waste exhaust gas from the headers. There is no vacuum whatsoever in the turbo system and this is illustrated in the fact that you can easily bog the motor between shifts.

As I said, the principle of a supercharger and turbocharger are the same. Both force air into the motor from the outside. More air=more fuel=more power provided the motor/tune is good for it. Just happens that one is driven by pressure from the exhaust and one is driven by a belt from the accessory drive.

---------- Post added at 12:41 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:38 AM ----------

There is no vacuum in the exhaust. Exhaust is forced out on the exhaust stroke of the engine, it is all positive pressure.
+1

Old 05-29-2013, 11:49 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

+1 lol
Old 05-30-2013, 06:58 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Id rather have a turbo set up due to it being a little easier on your internals seeing is how your not in constant boost. But then again once your in it there's a chance it can freak and cause more damage on the internals. Turbos don't take power to make power but require more maintenance. Your call really, if you're staying with stock internals I'd go with the centrifugal. Easier to maintain and won't have to worry about it spiking. I know I contradicted myself but **** it ha
White03GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 08:19 AM   #25
Staff
Regular
Staff

Lol yeah that is a great benefit to a turbo, they take a little power to make big power (not NO power but it is not very much at all). Figure a superhcharger takes 15% of the total output to power itself and that number climbs the more power you make. However as I said, a supercharger is less maintenance, easier to install, cheaper and I'd rather have one on a stick car than a turbo. IMO, turbo is for all out power in a straight line and should be paired with a stalled automatic. Supercharger can also make a ridiculous amount of power, just look at the YSI guys running just silly numbers with those blowers and the Mammoth KB Cobras. They just aren't as efficient as a turbo.

Also, once you get a turbo welcome to the world of waiting in the car for 2 minutes everytime you stop somewhere before you can turn it off and get out. If you don't, the oil lines will begin to coke up and goodbye turbo after a little while. There are turbo timers but if you are like me you'll worry that it won't turn off for some reason and you'll have a car idling in the hot sun in a blacktop parking lot for hours while you are inside at work or wherever... no thanks. That is just me being OCD though lol.

Old 05-30-2013, 12:01 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Centri blower all day. Would be nice to know what size blower the Vortech is though. I personally believe Procharger>all, but thats irrelevant. In either of these situations, Remember your weak sauce stock drivetrain.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT