New paint stay black or go blue? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-30-2013, 08:51 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
New paint stay black or go blue?

Getting new paint soon on my 02 gt vert. It's already black, I do like it but love the look of blue. I have 03/04 cobra bumper, 3.5 cowl, cervini rockers, no wing(yet or maybe won't have one), speedster cover, light bar, black top, and smoked lights all the way around. Also, I don't have wheels yet until I know what I'm doing with paint. I was thinking silver fr500 for blue and chrome saleens for black. Any paint suggestions? Nothing super ridiculous.
02GTvert is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-30-2013, 09:04 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I really like sonic blue or the kona blue/deep impact blue that comes on the newer mustangs, with silver fr500s your car will look too good.
Mustang936 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 09:12 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang936 View Post
I really like sonic blue or the kona blue/deep impact blue that comes on the newer mustangs, with silver fr500s your car will look too good.
I'm leaning more toward the sonic blue. My sister has the deeper blue that came on the new edges and I don't like it all that much.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-30-2013, 09:16 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah i would go sonic blue if i was you and match the side mirros in sonic blue too.
Old 05-30-2013, 09:17 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Should I spend a fortune buying cobra mirrors or paint the stockers?
Old 05-30-2013, 09:18 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by 02GTvert View Post
Getting new paint soon on my 02 gt vert. It's already black, I do like it but love the look of blue. I have 03/04 cobra bumper, 3.5 cowl, cervini rockers, no wing(yet or maybe won't have one), speedster cover, light bar, black top, and smoked lights all the way around. Also, I don't have wheels yet until I know what I'm doing with paint. I was thinking silver fr500 for blue and chrome saleens for black. Any paint suggestions? Nothing super ridiculous.
Sonic blue
Slow4V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 09:22 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks guys..I hope it's worth the extra money. Im sure it will be.
Old 05-30-2013, 09:26 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

There is a way to sand and paint the stockers to look just like the cobras but they wont fold. I think a good paint shop can do it super easy no sweat, all the guy did was sand some of the mirror and paint.
Old 05-30-2013, 09:31 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang936 View Post
There is a way to sand and paint the stockers to look just like the cobras but they wont fold. I think a good paint shop can do it super easy no sweat, all the guy did was sand some of the mirror and paint.
Can you post a pic of how they did it? I'm in no rush if you don't have one now.
Old 05-30-2013, 09:36 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4201622255.jpg
Views:	317
Size:	527.8 KB
ID:	111159

My mirrors are painted , I did a write up on here.
Slow4V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 09:37 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow4V View Post

Have a link?
Old 05-30-2013, 09:43 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

I found it. Thanks man!
Old 05-30-2013, 12:39 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow4V View Post
Attachment 111159

This was what i was reffering to, they look really good.
Old 05-30-2013, 12:54 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I found it. Thanks man!
can u post the link

Low2v
Horseplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 12:56 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Painted my mirrors ( 03-04 Cobra Style )
Old 05-30-2013, 01:59 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Now, this is really weird that another guy joined the forum from Ohio with the same exact car as me and flip flopped my name.....hahah

Not sure where your city is exactly ATM but we have got to meet up

4.10 Gear/RPM thread
2002VertGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 02:43 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Stay black, in order to change the color and do it right, not half ***, will cost you double.
tc x 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 03:07 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

It's going to be done right.

I'm just out of Toledo.
Old 05-30-2013, 11:30 PM   #19
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Blue xInfinity.

edit: Although if the car is already black, agreed to do it right is going to be a pain in the nuts and cost a ton.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 01:04 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Talk to colejohnson about a complete repaint. His dad did painting for years and it still took them a while to do. Looked great though. He went from yellow to black with red flake

4.10 Gear/RPM thread
Old 05-31-2013, 05:08 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Hey! Name got dropped so I'll chime in.

If you wanted to color swap then you probably have the best base color to start with because it'll look factory even if the door jams and car frame is black no matter the exterior color. Plus when you're doing your initial sanding it'll be easier for you because black is probably the best color to see imperfections so you can be very thorough.

The problem with a total color swap like I did from yellow to a custom black with red pearl is that you literally have to take the entire thing apart. That means pulls the engine, drop the whole drivetrain, all the carpet, pull the dash, take door panels and pieces off.. And them you have to get in to hand sanding all of those tough places after you scrubbed it all clean of dirt and grime. It's a lengthy process to do right.. Plus the exterior the only way to really get a high dollar flawless paint job is to spend the time hand sanding the whole disassembled car in a 400, 600, 800 grit fashion changing up-and-down and left-to-right swipes each time you switch grit starting with left-to-right.
Then you have to lay down a guide coat of a color that contrasts your current color and take the sanding even further to the tune of 1500 and 3000.
Then when you get you final color and clear on and it all cures.. You take 5000 grit to the whole thing then a good three stage buff and polish needs to take place.

And during all of this you're doing the entire exterior, interior, and underside(which only needs minimal sanding and prep).

This is all if you want a paint job that has a deep reflection and super smooth surface. It's going to take MANY hours to do right and you have to plan it well. We did it in our home garage and it took a long time, especially the painting part because we could only do it in sections and had to constantly clean the garage and car before continuing to paint due to dust. And after all the 75+(that's a conservative estimate) hours we still have many imperfections we're working on.

If you wanna pay a normal shop to do it then they'll only do half the sanding we did and not as many coats of color or clear.. And I guarantee their prep for all the pieces and parts will not be that thorough unless the shop is going to charge you $12000+ for the swap. Normal prices for normal paint jobs are like $3k last I checked years ago. Idk now. Complete car color swap will be considerably more.

On the other you can keep the car's interior, jams, trunk, engine bay, and undercarriage black and just do exterior color swap and no one will fault you for it. I think it'd actually look good to go to a yellow or sonic blue with black secondaries. And plus you could probably do it yourself in a couple of weekends if you are committed and have the skills and resource.. My dad and I could probably have my car stripped, *****ty sanded(like body shop that does normal paint work), cleaned, and taped off by just working a Friday and Saturday if we tried.

Btw.. Not saying cheap paint jobs aren't ok. They tend to look great from like 10ft away and that wil impress 98% of people in the world that don't know paint. But I can't stand orange peel or gritty looking paint jobs on cars I drive.. That's just me. Also not saying body shops can't end up doing a really good job for cheap. Just most I see do bare minimum and rush it to push cars through.

If I missed anything or you have questions then lemme know. If I don't know the answer then I'll ask my dad for ya.

2016 Comp Orange GT (current)
Aurora - 2002 Boosted GT! (Sold, sadly)
ColeJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 07:15 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColeJohnson View Post
Hey! Name got dropped so I'll chime in.

If you wanted to color swap then you probably have the best base color to start with because it'll look factory even if the door jams and car frame is black no matter the exterior color. Plus when you're doing your initial sanding it'll be easier for you because black is probably the best color to see imperfections so you can be very thorough.

The problem with a total color swap like I did from yellow to a custom black with red pearl is that you literally have to take the entire thing apart. That means pulls the engine, drop the whole drivetrain, all the carpet, pull the dash, take door panels and pieces off.. And them you have to get in to hand sanding all of those tough places after you scrubbed it all clean of dirt and grime. It's a lengthy process to do right.. Plus the exterior the only way to really get a high dollar flawless paint job is to spend the time hand sanding the whole disassembled car in a 400, 600, 800 grit fashion changing up-and-down and left-to-right swipes each time you switch grit starting with left-to-right.
Then you have to lay down a guide coat of a color that contrasts your current color and take the sanding even further to the tune of 1500 and 3000.
Then when you get you final color and clear on and it all cures.. You take 5000 grit to the whole thing then a good three stage buff and polish needs to take place.

And during all of this you're doing the entire exterior, interior, and underside(which only needs minimal sanding and prep).

This is all if you want a paint job that has a deep reflection and super smooth surface. It's going to take MANY hours to do right and you have to plan it well. We did it in our home garage and it took a long time, especially the painting part because we could only do it in sections and had to constantly clean the garage and car before continuing to paint due to dust. And after all the 75+(that's a conservative estimate) hours we still have many imperfections we're working on.

If you wanna pay a normal shop to do it then they'll only do half the sanding we did and not as many coats of color or clear.. And I guarantee their prep for all the pieces and parts will not be that thorough unless the shop is going to charge you $12000+ for the swap. Normal prices for normal paint jobs are like $3k last I checked years ago. Idk now. Complete car color swap will be considerably more.

On the other you can keep the car's interior, jams, trunk, engine bay, and undercarriage black and just do exterior color swap and no one will fault you for it. I think it'd actually look good to go to a yellow or sonic blue with black secondaries. And plus you could probably do it yourself in a couple of weekends if you are committed and have the skills and resource.. My dad and I could probably have my car stripped, *****ty sanded(like body shop that does normal paint work), cleaned, and taped off by just working a Friday and Saturday if we tried.

Btw.. Not saying cheap paint jobs aren't ok. They tend to look great from like 10ft away and that wil impress 98% of people in the world that don't know paint. But I can't stand orange peel or gritty looking paint jobs on cars I drive.. That's just me. Also not saying body shops can't end up doing a really good job for cheap. Just most I see do bare minimum and rush it to push cars through.

If I missed anything or you have questions then lemme know. If I don't know the answer then I'll ask my dad for ya.
Well that's the end of the thread. lol thanks!!
Old 05-31-2013, 07:22 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Lololol

4.10 Gear/RPM thread
Old 05-31-2013, 07:29 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

So what're you doing?!

Old 05-31-2013, 07:31 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by tc x 4 View Post
Stay black, in order to change the color and do it right, not half ***, will cost you double.
Thanks Cole
tc x 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 07:35 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2002VertGT View Post

Lololol
Thanks for the shout out btw. Surprised people remember me. I've hardly even been ok for at least six months now. Lol

---------- Post added at 07:35 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:34 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc x 4 View Post

Thanks Cole
Yeah man. You nailed it with a lot less words than me. Haha

Old 05-31-2013, 07:38 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

So what're you doing?!
Honestly I have no idea. I won't be doing it til next spring. I have a family friend who works for Dunn Chevy and he's really good. Depends what he would want to do. For now ill just save up and when it gets closer to go time ill be ready to do whatever.
Old 05-31-2013, 07:44 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Honestly I have no idea. I won't be doing it til next spring. I have a family friend who works for Dunn Chevy and he's really good. Depends what he would want to do. For now ill just save up and when it gets closer to go time ill be ready to do whatever.
Sounds good! Keep us posted bud.

Old 05-31-2013, 07:52 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Sure will. Thanks for letting me know what I might be getting into.
Old 05-31-2013, 07:56 AM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yep. I sanded my fingerprints off, literally. I couldn't use my fingerprints at woe stations at the CG station for like two months. Haha. It's a lot of work and hard work at that.. But looking at it every day you'll be so proud of what you accomplished with it. Plus it's pretty cool when people ask you where you got that awesome paint job at and you say you did it. Haha

Old 05-31-2013, 07:57 AM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Sounds good! Keep us posted bud.
Old 05-31-2013, 06:09 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Thanks for the shout out btw. Surprised people remember me. I've hardly even been ok for at least six months now. Lol

---------- Post added at 07:35 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:34 AM ----------

Yeah man. You nailed it with a lot less words than me. Haha
Who could forget that sex machine?

4.10 Gear/RPM thread

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT