302 modular shortblock - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-30-2013, 09:39 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
302 modular shortblock

If I were to do a forged 302 shortblock with my heads and intake would I see an immediate gain with stock heads and intake? I know with forged bottom end I can get more out of it but is that bottom end any better than just running the stock 4.6 without any force induction? It's only 21 cubic inches bigger so would it be worth it if I am going to supercharge it one day?
3.73 Gears
XXR 521 Wheels
20x8.5 and 20x10.5
Count Dragula is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-30-2013, 11:54 AM   #2
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Leave it as 281 or whatever .010 or .020 over winds up being if you even need to bore it. If your bores check good, get it honed and go. With the extra cubic inches you would see a little more power... a little.

Other advice, do the whole thing at once. If your current motor is running great now, leave it alone, go find a second modular block from wherever and start building that on the side. Get the whole thing built and drop it all in at once, ported heads, new cams and all.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 12:06 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Leave it as 281 or whatever .010 or .020 over winds up being if you even need to bore it. If your bores check good, get it honed and go. With the extra cubic inches you would see a little more power... a little.

Other advice, do the whole thing at once. If your current motor is running great now, leave it alone, go find a second modular block from wherever and start building that on the side. Get the whole thing built and drop it all in at once, ported heads, new cams and all.
Well I was asking because I can get a forged short block for 1500 with pistons and everything. It is running a special that is 50% off and I kinda want it. I've been having trouble with my motor now. I honestly just want to junk what I have and completely change everything. Fuel delivery is acting up, spark plugs, coil packs. It's just always something
3.73 Gears
XXR 521 Wheels
20x8.5 and 20x10.5
Count Dragula is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-30-2013, 02:58 PM   #4
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Well if you need a new motor then definitely get a forged shortblock. If you don't have the money for PP heads at least do cams while its out. A set of used Comp 270s would be great and pretty cheap and add some power. You'll have to tune for it obviously.

Just make sure the builder is a good builder and you have a good warranty on it. There are some builders out there who are... less than stellar and focus more on quantity than quality.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT