5.4 question - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-30-2013, 03:52 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular
 
2002VertGT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Region: Ohio
Posts: 1,876
5.4 question

Would a 5.4 3v be worth rebuilding to swap into a new edge? Looking at having to replace my f150 motor. Didn't know if I should keep it to rebuild for the stang or send it back for my $500 deposit.
__________________
2004 F150 4x4 Lariat Supercrew, 5.4l, Black/Arizona Beige (daily driver)
2002 Mustang GT Convertible, triple black, mach 1000 system (Summer Car)
2001 Ranger Edge 4x4 xcab (sold to cousin)

4.10 Gear/RPM thread
2002VertGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 05-30-2013, 04:42 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Salinas
Region: California
Posts: 7,415
Now you're talking my language... I've been looking into this swap a bit. I like it just because of the extra displacement. I mean come on. 281 cubic inches?!?!!?? Im more accustomed to slightly larger engines. I believe there is a thread on here somewhere regarding this swap. It will be interesting to here everyone's opinion on this...
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 05:06 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular
 
White03GT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Hereford
Region: Texas
Posts: 1,057
Quote:
Originally Posted by straybullitt View Post
Now you're talking my language... I've been looking into this swap a bit. I like it just because of the extra displacement. I mean come on. 281 cubic inches?!?!!?? Im more accustomed to slightly larger engines. I believe there is a thread on here somewhere regarding this swap. It will be interesting to here everyone's opinion on this...
A buddy of mine did this. Except it was a full bolt on and cammed 5.4 2v in his 02 gt. pretty sweet
White03GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 05-30-2013, 08:21 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular
 
AgentOrange's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Region: Florida
Posts: 991
Everything bolts up, accessories are the same, etc etc. Only issues are deck height and intake. Truck intakes don't flow enough.. only way to run headers is have custom ones made to the best of my knowledge. I'll be doing this swap if my stock mill lets go.
AgentOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 08:36 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular
 
2002VertGT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Region: Ohio
Posts: 1,876
I mean, I know it can be done. But, IS IT WORTH IT to keep this 3v and rebuild it? I know there will be parts I have to buy and maybe some parts that need custom made. But is it worth it? Or should I just return it for my deposit back and continue with my forged 4.6 2v plans.
__________________
2004 F150 4x4 Lariat Supercrew, 5.4l, Black/Arizona Beige (daily driver)
2002 Mustang GT Convertible, triple black, mach 1000 system (Summer Car)
2001 Ranger Edge 4x4 xcab (sold to cousin)

4.10 Gear/RPM thread
2002VertGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 08:39 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular
 
AgentOrange's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Region: Florida
Posts: 991
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2002VertGT View Post
I mean, I know it can be done. But, IS IT WORTH IT to keep this 3v and rebuild it? I know there will be parts I have to buy and maybe some parts that need custom made. But is it worth it? Or should I just return it for my deposit back and continue with my forged 4.6 2v plans.
Its totally your call. Depends on what kind of deal you can get on either setup. Without supporting parts, the 5.4 won't really outperform a 4.6.
AgentOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 09:50 PM   #7
Staff
Regular
Staff
 
scottydsntknow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: JB MDL
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 16,592
If you're going to do a 5.4L, do a 2V with the TFS heads. With that said, the intake selection is either out of production hard to find (and not that great) pieces or adapter plates (also getting hard to find anymore) to run a 4.6L intake but there are issues with injector spray patterns and ports matching up with those...

I'd personally stick with the 4.6L... you don't need a ton of cubic inches to make great power anymore I mean look at the Coyote. 302 cubic inches on that thing and it outruns the LS motors that are "traditional" big cube powerplants. There are plenty of NA 4V cars making in the high 300whp range and honestly all it takes to make stupid power with a 4.6L is to add boost. Boost turns the 4.6L into a complete monster and with the right supporting mods the sky is really the limit.
__________________
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 10:10 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular
 
2002VertGT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Region: Ohio
Posts: 1,876
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
If you're going to do a 5.4L, do a 2V with the TFS heads. With that said, the intake selection is either out of production hard to find (and not that great) pieces or adapter plates (also getting hard to find anymore) to run a 4.6L intake but there are issues with injector spray patterns and ports matching up with those...

I'd personally stick with the 4.6L... you don't need a ton of cubic inches to make great power anymore I mean look at the Coyote. 302 cubic inches on that thing and it outruns the LS motors that are "traditional" big cube powerplants. There are plenty of NA 4V cars making in the high 300whp range and honestly all it takes to make stupid power with a 4.6L is to add boost. Boost turns the 4.6L into a complete monster and with the right supporting mods the sky is really the limit.
I have a pro charger...just have this opportunity so I wanted to ask
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-495315196.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	229.5 KB
ID:	111281  
__________________
2004 F150 4x4 Lariat Supercrew, 5.4l, Black/Arizona Beige (daily driver)
2002 Mustang GT Convertible, triple black, mach 1000 system (Summer Car)
2001 Ranger Edge 4x4 xcab (sold to cousin)

4.10 Gear/RPM thread
2002VertGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 10:14 PM   #9
Staff
Regular
Staff
 
scottydsntknow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: JB MDL
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 16,592
I'd turn around and send your blown truck motor back for the $500 and put that $500 towards a second block/forged crank and get started on that. I picked up a very clean Teksid block and the OEM Cobra crank for $250 locally so there are deals out there.
__________________
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 10:35 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular
 
2002VertGT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Region: Ohio
Posts: 1,876
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
I'd turn around and send your blown truck motor back for the $500 and put that $500 towards a second block/forged crank and get started on that. I picked up a very clean Teksid block and the OEM Cobra crank for $250 locally so there are deals out there.
How much lighter is the teksid block?
__________________
2004 F150 4x4 Lariat Supercrew, 5.4l, Black/Arizona Beige (daily driver)
2002 Mustang GT Convertible, triple black, mach 1000 system (Summer Car)
2001 Ranger Edge 4x4 xcab (sold to cousin)

4.10 Gear/RPM thread
2002VertGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 10:47 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular
 
BigB227's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: West Palm Beach
Region: Florida
Posts: 1,120
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2002VertGT View Post

How much lighter is the teksid block?
I might be wrong but I believe the teksid block weighs about 85 pounds
BigB227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 11:07 PM   #12
Staff
Regular
Staff
 
scottydsntknow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: JB MDL
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 16,592
Teksid is around 85lbs, the iron block is 150-160lbs, I think 154 is the dead on number but its close. No idea why in hell people don't always use the Teksid block or at least the WAP in new builds. Taking a solid 70lbs off the nose is a pretty big deal in these cars. Granted it is much easier to find an iron block and they are often free but you don't have to pay very much for a good aluminum modular block and its honestly a drop in the bucket when you are talking about a $thousands shortblock.
__________________
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 01:16 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Salinas
Region: California
Posts: 7,415
My idea for a 5.4 swap is to use a complete Lightning engine. To avoid some of the aforementioned pitfalls. I realize that engine technology has come a long way in the past 30yrs or so. They're so much more efficient. There is a ceiling though. At some point, you will add all the boost and every trick in the book to the cubic inches available and the only way to add additional power is to add displacement. A good example is the 5.8 in the GT 500. If Ford thought that 5.0 litres would have powered that car and lived through the warranty period they would have used it. The technology changes but the principals have been the same for the last 100+ years. As far as the 4.6, it sounds like that aluminum block is the way to go. 85 lbs is pretty light. Weight reduction is just as good as power. Sometimes better. Definitely cheaper and easier. But if you want to make more power you need more displacement...
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 01:20 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular
 
99mustang99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Piedmont
Region: North Carolina
Posts: 651
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2002VertGT View Post
I mean, I know it can be done. But, IS IT WORTH IT to keep this 3v and rebuild it? I know there will be parts I have to buy and maybe some parts that need custom made. But is it worth it? Or should I just return it for my deposit back and continue with my forged 4.6 2v plans.
Do a 2v to 4v head swap(; with forged internals and other goodies
99mustang99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 01:20 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular
 
AgentOrange's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Region: Florida
Posts: 991
Lightning swaps have been done, awesome setup. I'd still want forged rods if I went through the trouble, though.
AgentOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 01:27 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Salinas
Region: California
Posts: 7,415
Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentOrange View Post
Lightning swaps have been done, awesome setup. I'd still want forged rods if I went through the trouble, though.
Definitely
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


» Like Us On Facebook



11:00 PM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.