98 gt missfire - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-02-2013, 07:34 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
98 gt missfire

I recently started to notice a slight missfire when I get on it in 2nd and 3rd gear. Anyone know some common causes or how I can go about fixing this? Thanks!
98slowGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2013, 07:42 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98slowGT View Post
I recently started to notice a slight missfire when I get on it in 2nd and 3rd gear. Anyone know some common causes or how I can go about fixing this? Thanks!
Spark plug or coil pack. Any codes?
3.73 Gears
XXR 521 Wheels
20x8.5 and 20x10.5
Count Dragula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 10:45 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSG2003 View Post

Spark plug or coil pack. Any codes?
I recently did a tune up so idk if my spark plugs would be the issue and and check engine light isnt on so I doubt I throwing any codes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2013, 11:26 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Utah
Does it vibrate in the pedal and overall the car feels laggy when you punch it?
Kevo91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 11:31 AM   #5
Staff
Regular
Staff

Could be one of the coil packs but those commonly don't have issues... did you gap the plugs right when you installed them? New wires? What brand of plugs and type did you use? Have you done your fuel filter recently? When did you do your O2 sensors and have you tried to pull any codes? No CEL does not mean there isn't a code or an issue.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 08:57 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevo91 View Post
Does it vibrate in the pedal and overall the car feels laggy when you punch it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Could be one of the coil packs but those commonly don't have issues... did you gap the plugs right when you installed them? New wires? What brand of plugs and type did you use? Have you done your fuel filter recently? When did you do your O2 sensors and have you tried to pull any codes? No CEL does not mean there isn't a code or an issue.
Its not really a vibrate just you can feel a slight lag for a half a second but it will do it in bursts at a time. And I know I gapped my plugs right and everything. I did my tune up in August so it really wasn't that recent. You really think the fuel filter could cause it? I probably should replace that anyway. My car never missfired until I beat the piss out of it at the ocean city car show in MD lol.
Old 06-02-2013, 09:19 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Minnesota
Had the same problem... 98's are notorious for having a cracked crossover on the intake where the thermostat sits. This will allow coolant to leak down by the heads and into the spark plug ports. Then causing misfire. After I replaced my intake I never had a problem.
Skulls98GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 09:41 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98slowGT View Post

Its not really a vibrate just you can feel a slight lag for a half a second but it will do it in bursts at a time. And I know I gapped my plugs right and everything. I did my tune up in August so it really wasn't that recent. You really think the fuel filter could cause it? I probably should replace that anyway. My car never missfired until I beat the piss out of it at the ocean city car show in MD lol.
My 98 is having the same problem as yours then. I thought maybe the clutch was slipping but my rpms dont shoot up. Ive been told it could be a fuel pump going bad or dirty injectors, its only when i floor it in 2nd and 3rd
Old 06-02-2013, 09:47 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

I just replaced all 8 plugs a week ago and properly gapped them all at 0.54 and im still having issues. Its worth a look anyway though
Old 06-03-2013, 10:25 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skulls98GT View Post
Had the same problem... 98's are notorious for having a cracked crossover on the intake where the thermostat sits. This will allow coolant to leak down by the heads and into the spark plug ports. Then causing misfire. After I replaced my intake I never had a problem.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevo91 View Post

My 98 is having the same problem as yours then. I thought maybe the clutch was slipping but my rpms dont shoot up. Ive been told it could be a fuel pump going bad or dirty injectors, its only when i floor it in 2nd and 3rd
Thanks skulls. And yeah sounds like we have the same exact problem. Ive been meaning to change my pump and filters, just been real busy. Thanks for the advice guys
Old 06-03-2013, 06:22 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Minnesota
Your welcome. Not saying that's what your problem is... It's one thing I would look into though. Check out other things too, because a new updated intake with the aluminum crossover is around 300 bucks. I got mine from Latemodelrestoration.com. I have average mechanical skills and installed it myself. Went slow and took a crap load of pictures. There are lots if step by step instructions on-line to help you out too.
Skulls98GT is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT