About to install new clutch - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-02-2013, 10:45 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
About to install new clutch

So I'm about to install my new exedy Mach 400 stage 2 clutch on my 02 gt. I have a spec stage 2 now but the thing was junk. Throw out bearing is shot. Clutch is slipping etc. crap. Anyways. I'm using a buddy's lift and I'm doing it all myself. First time really tackling a project like this. Just wanted to ask you guys beforehand if there's anything I need to know before hand. Any tips or problems I may encounter. Basically just any help before I get in over my head. Anything helps! Thanks.
bluegrassfever6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2013, 12:00 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
PB blaster is your friend. Make sure you have several extensions of varying length and a few universal joints for the top starter bolt.

Get your flywheel resurfaced or buy new one...Make sure you clan with brake cleaner before and after install.

You can drain tranny first unless you want s mess our you have a tranny plug.

When you get to the top two tranny bolts, I'd unbolt the cross member and let the tranny drop it'll make those bolts a little easier to get at.

Take your time, label stuff as you remove our take pictures to help in remembering where things go. I used envelopes and just put bolts in and labeled them appropriately.

You'll definitely want at least one extra set of hands when dropping and reinstalling the tranny...two people makes it easier, the tranny is heavy and even with a tranny jack will be difficult to steady on your own.

Get your hands on a shop manual if you can, it provides step by step along with torque settings for all bolts.

That's all I can think of right now.

I just did this myself about 2 months ago. If it's your first time plan on at least a whole day...maybe 2 if you hit any snags.

**Edit**Oh and FRPP TOB is recommended. I used a Timken as it was highly recommended over at SVT Performance at the time I bought it (over 2 years ago). I think Timken stopped making them or went to Chinese factories and quality has suffered...so stick with the FRPP.
FanOfSkynyrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 12:36 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegrassfever6 View Post
So I'm about to install my new exedy Mach 400 stage 2 clutch on my 02 gt. I have a spec stage 2 now but the thing was junk. Throw out bearing is shot. Clutch is slipping etc. crap. Anyways. I'm using a buddy's lift and I'm doing it all myself. First time really tackling a project like this. Just wanted to ask you guys beforehand if there's anything I need to know before hand. Any tips or problems I may encounter. Basically just any help before I get in over my head. Anything helps! Thanks.
Starter might be a pain, resurface your flywheel
Slow4V is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2013, 01:33 AM   #4
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Florida
Send a message via AIM to tedness
Quote:
Originally Posted by FanOfSkynyrd View Post
**Edit**Oh and FRPP TOB is recommended. I used a Timken as it was highly recommended over at SVT Performance at the time I bought it (over 2 years ago). I think Timken stopped making them or went to Chinese factories and quality has suffered...so stick with the FRPP.
I second this that most aftermarket TOBs are crap. Stick to a quality FRPP unit. I put a Ram clutch, steel flywheel, and FRPP TOB in my car 35k miles ago and have had zero problems.
Old 06-03-2013, 02:17 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
All of this is great info. An impact will help you greatly
Old 06-03-2013, 03:09 AM   #6
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Also, get a clutch alignment tool, pretty much a must have. 10 spline for a 3650 trans. Also make sure you have a slide hammer to get the pilot bearing out. Its pretty straightforward, first time doing it on a lift will probably take you the better part of a day. Me and a buddy working can do one in about 3 hours...

Oh, getting your H pipe off if you have not done that before. The passenger's side collector has a nut that requires a cut down deepwell or a 1/2" drive socket. Regular socket is too shallow to bite and a regular deepwell is too deep to get in. Fun stuff.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is online now   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT