i need help on 04 mustang gt - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-03-2013, 06:55 AM   #1

Region: Missouri
i need help on 04 mustang gt

i have 2004 ford mustang gt--before my husband passed away in february my battery lite was coming on and off...he connected a alternator that was suspose to be a reman.. it looked crappy to start with.. it made car run worse then the original one that was on so he put it back on..so i took it autozone they said i needed new battery, plugs and these spring like things and my son replaced them one at time so they wouldnt get out of sequence. battery lite went off for day.. then service engine light came on.. oh you need a serpentine belt so i replaced that. took it too advance autoparts they said i needed tensior bracket and pully so i replaced that.. service lite back on.. misfire on start up and misfire in cylinder 5..let sit for 2 days and only battery lite is on.. now when battery lite comes on.. you can feel car surging...any suggestions would deeply be appreciated...
heartofmine4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2013, 08:28 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
When check engine light is on what codes are showing up?You can have auto zone, advance etc,read the codes for you for free. Get the codes # and post on here. Lot of knowledgeable memebers on this forum. Some one will be able to point you in the right direction.
tonyd01gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 09:09 AM   #3
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
In this situation it is not a good idea to just keep throwing parts at a problem and hope it gets better. Its an even worse idea to trust what the workers at Autozone/Advance/Napa tell you. They are not mechanics, they are cashiers and I've had some... experiences to say the least and now I just go there armed with part numbers so there is no debate.

At any rate, you are probably going to want to take the car to a Ford dealership and let them do a diagnostic at least. That will at least pinpoint what is wrong and then if you feel it is something you or your son or a friend can do then you can buy the parts yourself and do it, or just have Ford do it. There is a very good chance the alternator was just shot to begin with and its causing all these other issues.

I hope you get it all figured out, you can remove the alternator which is very easy on a 2004 and take the unit in to the parts store to have it bench checked. That right away will tell you whether it is bad or not. If you still have the receipt somewhere then they should warranty it. Good luck with it and let us know if you get the codes pulled.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2013, 09:17 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Sorry about your loss, scotty is right on. They can check the alternator on the car tho, I guessing that's your problem, the car will do crazy stuff when they go out.
tc x 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 03:58 PM   #5

Region: Missouri
when i took it up to autozone they said it showed i needed a battery and plugs and said i should replace the wires also which son did.. then when it came back on i took it in for oil change at the dealer my husband use to work for.. chrysler and they said i needed serpatine belt and i did replace that.. took to advance and they ran test and battery was putting out like it should and alternator was where it should be. had me turn on ac and off, reved up the rpms.. then he said bearing in pully needed to be replaced and tensioner shouldnt be able to move and he could move it slightly..so my brother put that on for me. lady put it on at advance under the dash and all she said was misfire at start up and misfire in cylinder 5.. she said i need to replace plugs and wires..service engine light is now off and only battery light flickers on and off.. never know when it will come on.

---------- Post added at 03:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:52 PM ----------

thank you scotty. i miss him alot.. and he always kept my car in good shape. never had a problem with car till this..

---------- Post added at 03:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:55 PM ----------

so which test should i have done.. where they go under the hood or under the dash

---------- Post added at 03:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:56 PM ----------

this is original alternator hubby put back on for me.. other was just plain ratty looking like it sat outside ...havent bought another yet...
heartofmine4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 08:09 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Have someone make sure your ground wire is clean and tight.
tc x 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 09:57 PM   #7
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
There is more than 1... there are multiple grounds. The big one goes from the left motor mount to the subframe and can get totally crudded up over time. I replaced mine with a 4 gauge battery cable and added one to the right side too.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 12:34 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Check the terminal clamps that clamp the wires to the battery. If they are corroded or have a small crack it can do funky stuff. Mine was cracked and would start then not start the. Start....all depended o what it wanted.

4.10 Gear/RPM thread
2002VertGT is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT