Pass emmissions? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-03-2013, 07:03 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Pass emmissions?

I have an off road x pipe and a tune to keep the CEL from coming on. The area that I live in does an emmissions inspection every 2 year's. They do not use a probe in the tailpipe but rather hook it up to the obdii port. With my setup will I pass?
UDBigJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2013, 08:38 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
what state or you in? does your state emission require that the inspector do a visual check of your car? check your state emission laws, you will get more correct answers. my state hooks up to obdII port. but inspector are require to visually check for catalyst convector. no convectors, will not even give emission test. hope that helped.
tonyd01gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 09:02 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by UDBigJim View Post
I have an off road x pipe and a tune to keep the CEL from coming on. The area that I live in does an emmissions inspection every 2 year's. They do not use a probe in the tailpipe but rather hook it up to the obdii port. With my setup will I pass?
You have to have some form of cats on your vehicle when they do a visual test. Or you get lucky and find a spot the isn't so strict.
Black8thElement is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2013, 09:05 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
There are places that hand out inspections by just checking your headlights and others that do a full inspection, it really varys. If you worried about visual inspection go to a muffle shop and ask them to tack weld some old cat heat shields to your mid pipe, it will fool the person inspecting your car.
Mustang936 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 09:20 AM   #5
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
What state? I live in NJ and for OBDII and while they do not do a sniffer for OBDII, they roll a mirror under there real quick just to visually check to see if the cats are there. If not they have every right to have your car towed away at your expense. I personally would not chance it, swap your stock pipe back in for emissions day and swap back out afterwards. Or just buy a catted pipe and lose maybe all of 1 rwhp and then not worry about it at all. My buddy got pulled over in Wisconsin by a cop which does NO inspection and the cop took one look under his car and he got a BIG ticket and had to have the car inspected within 48 hours or even bigger fine. Then again I drove around for 7 years in NJ with an O/R pipe, got pulled over a few times for speeding and never had an issue.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 09:59 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
I live in MD
UDBigJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 10:05 AM   #7
Staff
Regular
Staff

Google says they are supposed to check visually for cats. If you get through you will be dodging a bullet.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 06-03-2013, 10:25 AM   #8

Region: New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by UDBigJim View Post
You won't pass depending on where you are I'm located in New Hampshire they do a visual I do not have cats but if you know someone it makes it easy. they sell bypass's to stop the code for having no cats best of luck
Murdered99gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 12:28 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
I live in PA they put the car up in the air to do a visual check. We have emissions too but they do gas cap test.
rangerbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 12:51 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Region: Massachusetts
Like everyone is saying it depends where you go I passed and I have no cats and the guy looked under my car but I also did some digging before I removed my cats and the law I. My state is that if your car is older then 15 years old I think then it doesn't have to pass emissions. I don't know why this law is enacted but it works for me because I passed with out a problem
Old 06-03-2013, 02:12 PM   #11
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by rangerbert View Post
I live in PA they put the car up in the air to do a visual check. We have emissions too but they do gas cap test.
gas cap test?

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 02:32 PM   #12
Staff
Regular
Staff

Yup they pressurize your gas cap to make sure it is sealing your tank. They do it in NJ too.

Old 06-03-2013, 04:18 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post
gas cap test?
Apparently you lose gas vapors that way. Thats the reasoning behind the gas cap test.
rangerbert is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT