P.I. Head Swap - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-03-2013, 07:39 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
P.I. Head Swap

Okay so doing the head swap soon. Here we go:

1998 GT 4.6L
Adding Stage 2 Comp Cams, PI Heads, new cam gears and springs etc.

Need recommendations on fuel pump since I already have to replace it as well as whether or not I should upgrade fuel injectors and what injectors I should get vs what I have. Also I'm leaning more towards stage one comp cams but what will be the biggest difference between stage one and stage two comp cams? Thanks guys look forward to hearing the replies!
OverC1ockeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2013, 09:30 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverC1ockeD View Post
Okay so doing the head swap soon. Here we go:

1998 GT 4.6L
Adding Stage 2 Comp Cams, PI Heads, new cam gears and springs etc.

Need recommendations on fuel pump since I already have to replace it as well as whether or not I should upgrade fuel injectors and what injectors I should get vs what I have. Also I'm leaning more towards stage one comp cams but what will be the biggest difference between stage one and stage two comp cams? Thanks guys look forward to hearing the replies!
255lph walboro in line or just as the pump your choice. Cams id stay stage 2 cause of the torque u get in lower range is better than stage 1. 24# if your getting it tuned as well since its gonna breathe more add some more fuel however im sure even the 19# would suffice or if u want the 21# from the 03-04 gts. I also have a pi swap in my 96 just make sure you get adjustable cam gears with the cams. And change the chain guides to metal not the crappy plastic ones. As well as i would suggest new timing chain tensioners to have new parts on your timing system. Avoids headaches later on the road. Also one more nice adder since your taking the chains out upgrade your oil pump to cobra oil pump. Stock pump for cobra is a melling oil pump so really good upgrade imo.
Old 06-04-2013, 03:33 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1996mustang View Post

255lph walboro in line or just as the pump your choice. Cams id stay stage 2 cause of the torque u get in lower range is better than stage 1. 24# if your getting it tuned as well since its gonna breathe more add some more fuel however im sure even the 19# would suffice or if u want the 21# from the 03-04 gts. I also have a pi swap in my 96 just make sure you get adjustable cam gears with the cams. And change the chain guides to metal not the crappy plastic ones. As well as i would suggest new timing chain tensioners to have new parts on your timing system. Avoids headaches later on the road. Also one more nice adder since your taking the chains out upgrade your oil pump to cobra oil pump. Stock pump for cobra is a melling oil pump so really good upgrade imo.
Never heard that about the oil pump before but all around great advice. Could you please send me a link to the new fuel injectors I should get as well as the oil pump you suggest? I'd really appreciate it, thanks!!
OverC1ockeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-04-2013, 03:24 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Melling M227 Melling Oil Pumps for the melling pump, they came factory on cobras part number on a remaned was m227. as for the injectors its more of a junkyard type find, the 21lb injectors came stock from late 02 to 04 mustang gts, its an upgrade in a way while retaining stock look and feel, 24 lb would be if you got lts with the cams and a tune, then you can use 24lb however not necessary if you are doing a n/a thing atm. if you go f/i then upgrading the rail, regulator and injectors would be recommended, as to also keeping in mind a pi swap will bump compression to 10.54:1 so cant run too high of boost at the most probably 14 psi im sure others will chime in to correct me if i have made some mistakes on my explanations. hope this helps.
1996mustang is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT