Can someone help with my problem - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-03-2013, 06:47 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Can someone help with my problem

I got a 98 gt auto

I went to town got 20 in gas drove around for a while did some things and when I get home had my mustang in park and here my mustang sounding like its choking or trying to died on me and I couldn't tell maybe bad gas or bad fuel filter or maybe fuel pump going out

Here a video
http://youtu.be/4-Vyj3Tf9pw
Vmcgrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2013, 08:37 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Anybody?
Old 06-03-2013, 08:52 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
Sounds like a vacuum leak to me.
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2013, 08:53 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Utah
Hard to say, that could be a bad filter, plugs, dirty injectors. It sounds like it had something to do with getting gas, i know when gas station get refuelled all the gunk in the bottom comes up. I would run a good fuel cleaner thru for starters and see
Kevo91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 06:04 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevo91 View Post
Hard to say, that could be a bad filter, plugs, dirty injectors. It sounds like it had something to do with getting gas, i know when gas station get refuelled all the gunk in the bottom comes up. I would run a good fuel cleaner thru for starters and see
I guess I'm going to start working down the list but I'm going to start with bad gas seeing if that's the problem

---------- Post added at 06:04 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:02 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by maldog View Post
Sounds like a vacuum leak to me.
I hope not I know nothing about vacuum leaks or anything about the subject but I guess I'm going to have to do my homework
Old 06-04-2013, 07:50 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah thats all you can do, problems like that suck cause it could be so many things. Sorry man wish i could help more but its hard to narrow it down without seeing it in person. Best of luck!
Old 06-04-2013, 08:04 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

But i would say start by running a fuel system cleaner thru, clean the MAF sensor and if that doesnt work replace the fuel filter. If its still having probs at that point it might be worth it to just take it to a shop
Old 06-04-2013, 05:45 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Sounds like what i had. Makes it sound cammed and it actually moves the car like you are cammed hard. Mine got fixed with a battery and alternator change.....at least for now it hasnt done it. Also what codes are popping up there jas to be atleast p1157 p0135 p0174 p0171 and such i believe with that condition. Let us know what codes pull up just get a free code read from autozone and word to the wise dont listen to them about "fixes" they offer they are cashiers not techs with ase certifications. Start with the codes first so we can pinpoint or atleast help pinpoint a solution
Old 06-04-2013, 07:46 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

So my stang went from running rough to barely running at all

Here another video please listen makes me cry to hear my mustang like this and I didn't rev it up just cranked her up and let her do her thing after several attempts my stang starting to run there for awhile then died

http://youtu.be/suosY_JM2mI

---------- Post added at 07:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:41 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1996mustang View Post
Sounds like what i had. Makes it sound cammed and it actually moves the car like you are cammed hard. Mine got fixed with a battery and alternator change.....at least for now it hasnt done it. Also what codes are popping up there jas to be atleast p1157 p0135 p0174 p0171 and such i believe with that condition. Let us know what codes pull up just get a free code read from autozone and word to the wise dont listen to them about "fixes" they offer they are cashiers not techs with ase certifications. Start with the codes first so we can pinpoint or atleast help pinpoint a solution
Can't take it to the part store car won't stay running anymore

---------- Post added at 07:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:42 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevo91 View Post
But i would say start by running a fuel system cleaner thru, clean the MAF sensor and if that doesnt work replace the fuel filter. If its still having probs at that point it might be worth it to just take it to a shop
My gf went to the part store for me cause I work late and told the guy that she thinks I have bad gas so he gave her Seafoam but I see peoples videos they have their car running when using Seafoam but my stang won't stay running long enough
Old 06-04-2013, 09:10 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Dang man it sounds now like maybe your fuel pump is bad if it wont even stay running. That totally sucks
Old 06-04-2013, 10:42 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

ok first i see that your check engine light has been deleted. now the question comes have you done anything mod wise to the car, i.e intake, throttle body such and such. one thing you can try is to reset your ecu or rather reflash it in a sort. unplug the battery for about 15 min, then plug it back in and run the car see what happens then, if it runs i would suggest taking it to the nearest autozone to read the code. as to the seafoam i wouldnt do it for now due to we want to know what codes are being displayed to find a solution, since it could be from a fuel pump to a idle air control valve, that is how mine sounded before.
1996mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 12:23 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Hey bud just by listening to the video I really not sure but I saw that the cold air intake needs to be looked at, and make sure it's buttoned up tight. But really I would start at the fuel filter after that. If one was put on backwards it would cause that, happened to me from being in a hurry? Sill yet man I really would not sweat it it doesn't look to bad plus it drove just fine before that.

---------- Post added at 12:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:19 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathew r Wright
Hey bud just by listening to the video I really not sure but I saw that the cold air intake needs to be looked at, and make sure it's buttoned up tight. But really I would start at the fuel filter after that. If one was put on backwards it would cause that, happened to me from being in a hurry? Sill yet man I really would not sweat it it doesn't look to bad plus it drove just fine before that.
Here's is a good sign that a fuel pump is bad or going bad. If you go to take off and the car falls on it face like its running out of gas. That's a very good sign!
Mathew r Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 12:33 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathew r Wright

---------- Post added at 12:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:19 PM ----------

Here's is a good sign that a fuel pump is bad or going bad. If you go to take off and the car falls on it face like its running out of gas. That's a very good sign!
Sounds likes its crammed lol! The car is so rough I would almost say I herd a misfire also? It's hard to tell but my car did this to man so it is common. I would agin start with make sure air/fuel is right by making sure everything is buttoned up. (no exhaust leaks, no vacuum leaks, or CAI leaks). Then I would start at the fuel filter, plus check plug gap and make sure coil packs are in good shape. You know if the little rubber boots comming off the coil packs them selves, have any cracks in them then they will ground to the head and cause a miss fire...
Old 06-05-2013, 03:09 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Minnesota
When I was having problems with misfire that's what mine sounded like. I would pull your plugs and see if there is moisture down in your plug ports. This was my problem due to a cracked intake, coolant was leaking onto my heads and down onto my plugs. Not saying this is your problem, saying it sounds like misfire. You may have fouled out a plug, have a bad wire, or maybe a bad coil. Good luck, keep up posted.
Skulls98GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 08:51 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Well good news everybody I have figured out my problem

IT WAS THE COLD AIR INTAKE yes the right the cai

I'm so happy right now that my mustang running right as soon as I cranked her and she cranked right up after I had to fix the cai because it had do unbolted I reckon with I put it on I didn't tighten it up good enough where it had fell out the rubber piece but I didn't see it at first because the top piece was still on the half on the intake but the bottom was out giving a big gap to mess up my car but not big enough to see it right off hand

---------- Post added at 08:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:41 PM ----------

Kevo91

I would like to say thank you for you advice

---------- Post added at 08:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:43 PM ----------

1996mustang

I would like to say thank you for your effort to help me figure out my problem

Thanks you for letting me know my engine light been deleted know I got to figure out how to get that working

Thanks for your time as well

---------- Post added at 08:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:45 PM ----------

Mathew r Wright

Thank you as well, it really mean a lot you guys take out your time to help me with my problem

---------- Post added at 08:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:47 PM ----------

Skulls98GT

Thank you buddy for you advice

---------- Post added at 08:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:48 PM ----------

maldog

I would like to say thank you too
you told me it might me a vacuum leak and made me think I don't know nothing about a vacuum line or anything about the subject but now it's something I should look into just in case
Old 06-06-2013, 01:18 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

your very welcome, glad to know it was a simple thing like the intake, and nothing major like most of us had lol. good to know your car and the problem was solved im glad i couldve helped in any way.

btw as to the check engine light, it may just be as simple as a bulb was removed or that the bulb burned out, your gonna need to remove the cluster and check behind it to see if its a burnt bulb or removed, if i remember its a t15 or t20 for 4 screws that hold the cluster down, remove the face plate around the cluster first, and careful when removing the harness from the back as well as pluging them in.
Old 06-06-2013, 03:02 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
your very welcome, glad to know it was a simple thing like the intake, and nothing major like most of us had lol. good to know your car and the problem was solved im glad i couldve helped in any way.

btw as to the check engine light, it may just be as simple as a bulb was removed or that the bulb burned out, your gonna need to remove the cluster and check behind it to see if its a burnt bulb or removed, if i remember its a t15 or t20 for 4 screws that hold the cluster down, remove the face plate around the cluster first, and careful when removing the harness from the back as well as pluging them in.
I would not even do that I would just look under the car for mil eliminators that will hook up to the secondary o2's.

---------- Post added at 03:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:00 PM ----------

Oh and I just knew it had to be that intake it just gave itself away in the video but your welcome, and sorry if I or we got you all worried for nothing...
Old 06-06-2013, 05:29 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathew r Wright View Post

I would not even do that I would just look under the car for mil eliminators that will hook up to the secondary o2's.

---------- Post added at 03:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:00 PM ----------

Oh and I just knew it had to be that intake it just gave itself away in the video but your welcome, and sorry if I or we got you all worried for nothing...
Matt if you haven't noticed on both videos a check engine should have came on. Even for the intake problem it would have thrown p0174 p0171 and maybe some other o2 codes like 1157 for the intake since its air that is being unmeasured since its getting it after the maf sensor. And on the other video he clearly show him putting in the key to the on position and a check engine light doesnt even illuminate there fore it is either a. Deleted bulb or b. Burnt bulb. O2 eliminators delete or rather attempt to "eliminate " the rear o2 sensors but they do not delete a cel light

Not trying to call you out pr make u look bad or anything of the sort but its an observation i noticed ib attempting to help a fellow stang owner to fix his ride. Its a given to ask what was done prior to the problem to help diagnose a problem and find a solution for it. Kind of thing i do daily at my job so sadly it comes second nature to ask what was done prior to the problem cause it may be sonething with that like the intake u have mentioned.
Old 06-07-2013, 12:06 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Well yeah your right. Sorry I didn't think about that or of it that way no hard feelings...
Old 06-07-2013, 09:24 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathew r Wright View Post
Well yeah your right. Sorry I didn't think about that or of it that way no hard feelings...
None at all my friend we are all here to help anyone and we can all learn something from anyone trust me
Old 06-07-2013, 11:16 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

None at all my friend we are all here to help anyone and we can all learn something from anyone trust me
+1

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT