Mgw vs pro 5.0 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-05-2013, 03:35 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Mgw vs pro 5.0

I have a pro 5.0 but I wanna get an mgw wondering the benefits of the mgw vs pro and pics if you have one please
Slp_loudmouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-05-2013, 03:50 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arkansas
Just a friendly reminder: use the search function. Here's what I post every time this comes up (I actually have it saved in a note so I can just copy/paste):
There's a reason MGW is the most expensive. It is absolutely the best there is. I've driven Steeda Tri-Ax (I had it on my car and I HATED that rattly piece of crap), Pro 5.0, Hurst (also had that on my car, it was awesome, but still comes in distant second), and MGW (on my car now!. MGW is the ONLY company with a unique shift mechanism. Steeda, Hurst, Pro 5.0, and every other company just rehash the worn out old factory shifter handle mechanism and raise the fulcrum up a tiny bit to make the throw shorter. It's exactly the same as your factory shifter; same slop, same crappy centering springs, same old junk design; you just pay for the higher fulcrum and billet casting. MGW completely redesigned the mechanics of the shifter by modifying the fulcrum location to be higher as well as changing the handle attachment design and allowing it to be fully adjustable. Their mechanism is more durable and gives the smoothest shifting possible, all while completely eliminating the rattle inherent in the factory/basic aftermarket design. Seriously, MGW costs more because its the best. It's completely adjustable from almost stock to just inches of throw (I don't know exactly how long it is, but mine is cranked all the way down and the throw is miles shorter than any other shifter I've ever driven). The handle even pivots to any direction. Sure, it gets really notchy at the shorter throws, but there's zero doubt about whether you're in gear. It clicks into every gear. The best part is the centering springs; they are just amazing! When going from 2-3, I honestly just push the ball straight up with my palm and let the springs pull me into the middle track. It's IMPOSSIBLE to miss 2-3 unless you're god-awful at driving a stick.

Here are a few photos:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1622904164.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	1.04 MB
ID:	112287   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-463142702.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	1.00 MB
ID:	112288  

Name:	image-635790089.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	1.03 MB
ID:	112289  
BackPressure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 07:40 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland

Name:	image-2070713654.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	474.7 KB
ID:	112351

Name:	image-2092325009.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	458.3 KB
ID:	112353

This is first gear (no its not as close to the dash as everyone thinks it is)

Name:	image-609723964.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	483.8 KB
ID:	112352

No more reaching for 5th.
Advertisement

Old 06-05-2013, 08:02 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackPressure View Post
Just a friendly reminder: use the search function. Here's what I post every time this comes up (I actually have it saved in a note so I can just copy/paste):
There's a reason MGW is the most expensive. It is absolutely the best there is. I've driven Steeda Tri-Ax (I had it on my car and I HATED that rattly piece of crap), Pro 5.0, Hurst (also had that on my car, it was awesome, but still comes in distant second), and MGW (on my car now!. MGW is the ONLY company with a unique shift mechanism. Steeda, Hurst, Pro 5.0, and every other company just rehash the worn out old factory shifter handle mechanism and raise the fulcrum up a tiny bit to make the throw shorter. It's exactly the same as your factory shifter; same slop, same crappy centering springs, same old junk design; you just pay for the higher fulcrum and billet casting. MGW completely redesigned the mechanics of the shifter by modifying the fulcrum location to be higher as well as changing the handle attachment design and allowing it to be fully adjustable. Their mechanism is more durable and gives the smoothest shifting possible, all while completely eliminating the rattle inherent in the factory/basic aftermarket design. Seriously, MGW costs more because its the best. It's completely adjustable from almost stock to just inches of throw (I don't know exactly how long it is, but mine is cranked all the way down and the throw is miles shorter than any other shifter I've ever driven). The handle even pivots to any direction. Sure, it gets really notchy at the shorter throws, but there's zero doubt about whether you're in gear. It clicks into every gear. The best part is the centering springs; they are just amazing! When going from 2-3, I honestly just push the ball straight up with my palm and let the springs pull me into the middle track. It's IMPOSSIBLE to miss 2-3 unless you're god-awful at driving a stick.

Here are a few photos:
How do you adjust the throw?
Old 06-05-2013, 08:06 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geiger View Post

How do you adjust the throw?
It's adjustable where the handle attaches to the lower cradle. Higher mounting of the handle = more torque applied and a longer throw.
There's also a screw that can be turned to adjust the firmness. Mine is cranked all the way down and my handle is mounted as low as I could so the shifter takes some effort to move. I love it!
Old 06-05-2013, 08:11 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

I have mine down as far as it will go too... Where is the screw that adjust firmness?
Old 06-05-2013, 08:20 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I have mine down as far as it will go too... Where is the screw that adjust firmness?
Kinda hard to miss, lol.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-2179551262.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	378.8 KB
ID:	112357  
Old 06-05-2013, 08:42 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
MGW all the way!!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-180224423.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	450.5 KB
ID:	112361  
Old 06-05-2013, 08:58 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Kinda hard to miss, lol.
Oh.... I read somewhere to never touch that lol
Old 06-05-2013, 08:59 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Oh.... I read somewhere to never touch that lol
I turned mine until I couldn't make it any tighter (approximately 10 turns from backed all the way out - which is the number of turns for the adjustment screw) That's all I know. It didn't have any negative effects so I assumed that's the adjustment screw.
Old 06-05-2013, 09:15 PM   #11
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
If you have the TR 3650 just make sure to not use any of the adjustable shift stops, there are already some in the transmission, so if you use any then you can damage the tranny.

---------- Post added at 07:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:13 PM ----------

This is from the day i installed it.

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 10:16 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post
If you have the TR 3650 just make sure to not use any of the adjustable shift stops, there are already some in the transmission, so if you use any then you can damage the tranny.

---------- Post added at 07:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:13 PM ----------

This is from the day i installed it.
+1
Very important info.
Old 06-05-2013, 11:31 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Ok looking at this im gonna look into getting one also. Im not totally happy with my tri-ax.
jjsg09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 11:32 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjsg09 View Post
Ok looking at this im gonna look into getting one also. Im not totally happy with my tri-ax.
You will LOVE the MGW. If you don't, I'll give you $500. (Not really, but you get the idea)
Old 06-06-2013, 05:25 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
My mgw replaced a tri-ax. Its a slight improvement. But the biggest thing is its not loud and rattling all the time like the tri ax. The tri-ax was still a huge improvement over the spoon in a bowl of mashed potatoes feel of the stock shifter.
Old 06-06-2013, 09:50 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:

My mgw replaced a tri-ax. Its a slight improvement. But the biggest thing is its not loud and rattling all the time like the tri ax. The tri-ax was still a huge improvement over the spoon in a bowl of mashed potatoes feel of the stock shifter.
Hahahaha I like the analogy you used.
jjsg09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 10:48 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Hahahaha I like the analogy you used.
Lol .... The sad thing is thats about right.
Old 06-06-2013, 07:51 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
MGW FTW:

Read more about Mustang short throw shifters here...

New ride (7/1/2013) 1998 Mercedes SL500-5.0L 32V VVT 326/347 HP/tq
cliffyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 07:56 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
I need a short throw, next mod will be gears, tuner, shifter.
MidnightBlueGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 07:59 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slp_loudmouth View Post
I have a pro 5.0 but I wanna get an mgw wondering the benefits of the mgw vs pro and pics if you have one please
Pro 5.0 is horrible

Mgw is the best
Slow4V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 08:09 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
I absolutely love my MGW! I would go to those steedas or 5.0s one of the smoothest short throws i felt or had.. Recommended mod for any straight drive 99-04 mustang
99mustang99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 12:26 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
I didn't even read a single post in this thread. There are many threads about this. Mgw is far superior and the only shifter that uses its own design and not a remanufactured billet version of the stock with a shorter throw. Mgw is just plain awesome.

Name:	image-27345398.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	142.8 KB
ID:	112616

First gear

Name:	image-2874041834.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	145.9 KB
ID:	112617

Reverse

Shifts amazing. Never miss a gear except 5th when I'm exhausted and too tired to push it all the way...

4.10 Gear/RPM thread
2002VertGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 03:50 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kansas
Quote:

Here are a few photos:
Love your shift ball by the way. I was going to buy one but I called and they said 7-10 days how long did u have to wait for it if at all?
GHO5T5NIPER is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT