Safe Rev limiter? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-05-2013, 09:30 PM   #1
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
Safe Rev limiter?

Ok so we all know the stock rev limiter on the 99-04 GTs is at 6050, I was just wondering if it was safe to raise it a little bit so i can squeeze out a little extra before shifting.

I did a little digging and people said 6200 is a good point, but those were mostly non-stock motors, and i couldn't find anything specific for my car. Is it worth it to raise it a little bit or am i just losing power? Keep in mind that i have a 2001 Bullitt, the upgraded intake gives it a much more aggressive power curve than regular GTs, so i won't drop off power as quickly as GTs. I have a 93 Race tune and O/R exhaust on top of that.

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-05-2013, 10:10 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
I don't think we have the cams or valve springs to support a much higher rev, I'm sure a little higher doesn't hurt but it seems kind of pointless. Looking at the torque and horsepower curve on my dyno sheet shows quite the drop off right around 5200-5500 to the point where shifting above 5 is almost obsolete
Mile high JDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 10:18 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Also depends on internals, custom tunes, ecu chips and the personal preference behind the tunes..
99mustang99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-05-2013, 10:19 PM   #4
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDF View Post
I don't think we have the cams or valve springs to support a much higher rev, I'm sure a little higher doesn't hurt but it seems kind of pointless. Looking at the torque and horsepower curve on my dyno sheet shows quite the drop off right around 5200-5500 to the point where shifting above 5 is almost obsolete
I heard the valvetrain is fine if you put it at 6200 max, i just don't know what my power curve is. Its a 2001 Bullitt so it has a lot broader power curve than GTs, so idk if the power drops off like the GTs. If it keeps going then i may raise it a little.

HID end all thread
Old 06-05-2013, 10:22 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post
I heard the valvetrain is fine if you put it at 6200 max, i just don't know what my power curve is. Its a 2001 Bullitt so it has a lot broader power curve than GTs, so idk if the power drops off like the GTs. If it keeps going then i may raise it a little.
Ik when above 5500 my car feels more powerful but my car is also forged, and custom tuned too so im pretty sure its power curve is diff than most GTs but i have no problem going above 6050rpms but mine was also built to handle that too..
99mustang99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 10:23 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arkansas
I may be mistaken, but stock-ish motors don't really make much power above 5k anyways, so bumping the limiter just keeps you in the power plateau longer instead of getting back into your power band in the next gear.
BackPressure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 10:27 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

I shift around 6k because after that I don't feel any more power. And I have a 4v
Old 06-05-2013, 10:29 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post
Strap it on a dyno, that should show you how the torque curve looks like. The Bullitt intake is better but Idk if they have the same cams or not and that could affect your torque band the most.
Mile high JDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 11:04 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Its pointless to up the limiter on your engine. If you're waiting for the redline, you're waiting too long to shift. It will actually slow you down because you're getting outside the max power curve. On stock engines (I consider bolt-on engines as stock) the power starts to drop off after about 5400 to 5500 rpm's.
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 11:15 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Youre going to throw a rod (weak point on mods)
Billymich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 11:45 PM   #11
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by straybullitt View Post
Its pointless to up the limiter on your engine. If you're waiting for the redline, you're waiting too long to shift. It will actually slow you down because you're getting outside the max power curve. On stock engines (I consider bolt-on engines as stock) the power starts to drop off after about 5400 to 5500 rpm's.
Thats the thing, i don't really ever feel like i'm waiting for the redline. It kinda feels like it always has a little left at redline.

HID end all thread
Old 06-06-2013, 12:31 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via Skype™ to bullitt1075
I moved my rev limiter up to 6200 rpms, and it allows me to stay in first a little longer when I autocross. I don't feel a power drop off after 6050, and on a lot of courses we run I can keep it in first for the entire run.

---------- Post added at 05:31 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:29 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullitt1075 View Post
I moved my rev limiter up to 6200 rpms, and it allows me to stay in first a little longer when I autocross. I don't feel a power drop off after 6050, and on a lot of courses we run I can keep it in first for the entire run.
I ment to add, that the power plateaus and doesn't drop off too much after 6050 rpms.
Proud owner of Bullitt #1075
bullitt1075 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 12:47 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Ideally, you want to be accelerating while the power curve is still climbing. Once it reaches its peak (when the hp and torque lines intersect) is where you want to shift. Otherwise, you are tryiing to accelerate in a steadily declining power curve. I understand why you do it Jonathan, and that is one of the situations where you do what you have to do. Still, it's hard on the engine and you are past the peak power. If you guys want your engines to live a long healthy life, keep them below the redline...
Old 06-06-2013, 12:35 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Ideally, you want to be accelerating while the power curve is still climbing. Once it reaches its peak (when the hp and torque lines intersect) is where you want to shift. Otherwise, you are tryiing to accelerate in a steadily declining power curve. I understand why you do it Jonathan, and that is one of the situations where you do what you have to do. Still, it's hard on the engine and you are past the peak power. If you guys want your engines to live a long healthy life, keep them below the redline...
Will you be able to make the next autocross in Marina Ron? I'm definitely going, and probably bringing a friend with a real nice notch back 331 stoked fox body with lots of Maximum Motorsport suspension goodies.
Old 06-06-2013, 12:51 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Yep. I'll be there. I can't wait! I have some.new.front wheel hubs that need to be installed but ,other than that, I'm ready to go. It should be fun with more Mustangs there.I was kind of lonely last time and got beat-up pretty bad by the race car Mustangs. Lol.
Old 06-06-2013, 01:22 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yep. I'll be there. I can't wait! I have some.new.front wheel hubs that need to be installed but ,other than that, I'm ready to go. It should be fun with more Mustangs there.I was kind of lonely last time and got beat-up pretty bad by the race car Mustangs. Lol.
I can't wait either. We run in the first group, so traction will be limited, but at least everyone is on an even playing field. Now that I think of it, you can probably run f-stock instead of ESP, since your car is stock(from what I remember). Or there is always fun runs if you don't care about points. What class did you run in last or did you do a fun run?
Old 06-06-2013, 01:40 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

I did a fun run. I was going to run the stock class but they were in the afternoon and I didnt want to wait. I think that I'm just going to run in the same class as you guys. ESP you said? Since these cars are essentially factory bolt-on cars its really not fair to run in the stock class. I think that only one Mustang runs regularly in that class, (You know who that is) and he seems to have trouble enough without me being in there...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT