Smoke issue - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-05-2013, 10:09 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Smoke issue

About a month ago I got a UPR o/r x pipe put on my 96 GT. Immediately I noticed it was smoking more from the tailpipes, but blew it off because I thought it was some sort of break in for the new pipe. Well, now the smoke is still around and heavy. It's a blueish, grey smoke and it does it quite often. Mainly when I'm sitting idle for a stop light, and when I go to start going it smokes and will stop once I'm up to speed.

I've been told that its burning oil heavily for sure due to the color of smoke? And the local mustang shop said it could be a bad valve stem... But they have extremely high prices for fixes so I want to get other opinions too before I move on
96smoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-05-2013, 10:18 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Same problem here, UPR o/r x as well..I would not call mine heavy smoke at all, just sometimes it'll spurt out a poof here and there, but it does it usually when I'm reversing, right when I take off after immediately backing up I see it in the mirror , but when I'm home or something and start her up and give her some revs no smoke, just randomly happens...weird
Old 06-05-2013, 10:20 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arkansas
Black smoke is raw gasoline burning. A rich condition can be the cause by a heavy or mis adjusted float, a choke stuck shut, a bad oxygen sensor, a bad MAF sensor, a bad fuel pressure regulator, a plugged up air filter or a bad injector. Typically, if you only get black smoke first thing in the morning, it has to do with the choke or the fuel enrichment portion of your fuel injection system. If you get black smoke all the time, get it fixed NOW.

Blue smoke is oil burning. The tailpipe will either smoke all the time or just once, first thing in the morning. If you get blue smoke all the time, that is a sign of impending doom. That is the first sign of the beginning of the end. Broken rings, bad pistons, damaged cylinder walls, all high dollar items. On the other hand, if all you get is a puff or two first thing in the morning and never again throughout the day, then your problem is probably bad valve guides or valve guide seals. It will cost between $350-800 to replace the seals, $750-1,500 to replace the guides and seals. To be sure, wait a bit until you begin to see other symptoms of this oil usage. Wait until you start fouling plugs, wait until the oil consumption is greater than one quart every 1,000 miles. And never assume that seals alone will totally fix this problem, if the engine has 100k miles plus.

Grey smoke can really be black or blue. You can usually tell which is it by the smell or by matching other symptoms you have to the color of the smoke is easier. Others will say blue is blue and all other is really grey to black and I would agree.
BackPressure is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-05-2013, 10:20 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Well the light smoke is because of no cats. As far as blue that's not right
Old 06-06-2013, 12:10 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Utah
Bad valve seal. If one specific plug keeps getting oil fouled then thats the one. Make sure you dont have any oil spilled in your plug ports either
Kevo91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 08:52 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackPressure View Post
Black smoke is raw gasoline burning. A rich condition can be the cause by a heavy or mis adjusted float, a choke stuck shut, a bad oxygen sensor, a bad MAF sensor, a bad fuel pressure regulator, a plugged up air filter or a bad injector. Typically, if you only get black smoke first thing in the morning, it has to do with the choke or the fuel enrichment portion of your fuel injection system. If you get black smoke all the time, get it fixed NOW.

Blue smoke is oil burning. The tailpipe will either smoke all the time or just once, first thing in the morning. If you get blue smoke all the time, that is a sign of impending doom. That is the first sign of the beginning of the end. Broken rings, bad pistons, damaged cylinder walls, all high dollar items. On the other hand, if all you get is a puff or two first thing in the morning and never again throughout the day, then your problem is probably bad valve guides or valve guide seals. It will cost between $350-800 to replace the seals, $750-1,500 to replace the guides and seals. To be sure, wait a bit until you begin to see other symptoms of this oil usage. Wait until you start fouling plugs, wait until the oil consumption is greater than one quart every 1,000 miles. And never assume that seals alone will totally fix this problem, if the engine has 100k miles plus.

Grey smoke can really be black or blue. You can usually tell which is it by the smell or by matching other symptoms you have to the color of the smoke is easier. Others will say blue is blue and all other is really grey to black and I would agree.
Well it smokes throughout the day, not just in the morning that's for sure

It has 125k on it, and I do have to put oil in it quite often but haven't recorded the mileage between each one
Old 06-06-2013, 12:55 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by 96smoke View Post

Well it smokes throughout the day, not just in the morning that's for sure

It has 125k on it, and I do have to put oil in it quite often but haven't recorded the mileage between each one
More than likely an oil leak from a bad seal somewhere.
BackPressure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 01:04 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackPressure View Post

More than likely an oil leak from a bad seal somewhere.
Well it's not promising. I've decided to just find a 99-04 engine and swap it in.
Old 06-06-2013, 07:47 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:
<snip>I've been told that its burning oil heavily for sure due to the color of smoke? </snip>
Is it consuming oil, if so how much in how many miles?

Ford says that with the 5W/20 whale piss oil up to 1gt/1000 miles is "acceptable", though that would be be acceptable to me (nor is the 5W/20 here in Florida)...

New ride (7/1/2013) 1998 Mercedes SL500-5.0L 32V VVT 326/347 HP/tq
cliffyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 01:08 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffyk View Post

Is it consuming oil, if so how much in how many miles?

Ford says that with the 5W/20 whale piss oil up to 1gt/1000 miles is "acceptable", though that would be be acceptable to me (nor is the 5W/20 here in Florida)...
Well I use 5W-30 castrol synthetic. And haven't checked the mileage between putting a quart in it. I'm doing an oil change tmrw and putting some Lucas in it.

I've got a beach trip from NC to SC and its about a 5 hour drive, you think it'll be okay to drive it down?
Old 06-14-2013, 07:39 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Anyone?
Old 06-14-2013, 07:48 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Quote:
About a month ago I got a UPR o/r x pipe put on my 96 GT. Immediately I noticed it was smoking more from the tailpipes, but blew it off because I thought it was some sort of break in for the new pipe. Well, now the smoke is still around and heavy. It's a blueish, grey smoke and it does it quite often. Mainly when I'm sitting idle for a stop light, and when I go to start going it smokes and will stop once I'm up to speed.

I've been told that its burning oil heavily for sure due to the color of smoke? And the local mustang shop said it could be a bad valve stem... But they have extremely high prices for fixes so I want to get other opinions too before I move on
Nah mine did that too , after install it smoked for a long time ! And now everytime I punch it I blow black smoke, it's normal.. Because your O2s aren't reading correctly causing it to run rich.

Won't hurt the car, just waste more gas.
Slow4V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 07:53 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow4V View Post

Nah mine did that too , after install it smoked for a long time ! And now everytime I punch it I blow black smoke, it's normal.. Because your O2s aren't reading correctly causing it to run rich.

Makes me feel better, never had a smoking issue until my UPR o/r x went on
Old 06-14-2013, 08:00 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJstanger View Post

Makes me feel better, never had a smoking issue until my UPR o/r x went on
Lol don't worry it's fine ,

But a pain in the *** because my polished tips turn black every 2-3 weeks lol

I'm getting the eliminators soon , just too lazy
Slow4V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 08:28 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Lol don't worry it's fine ,

But a pain in the *** because my polished tips turn black every 2-3 weeks lol

I'm getting the eliminators soon , just too lazy
Argh same here i hate it lol...I actually did the spark plug non fouler trick and that's worked fine no CEL since I installed them a few weeks ago..grabbing a tuner this weekend ill just shut the rears off
Old 06-14-2013, 08:59 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Utah
Quote:

Argh same here i hate it lol...I actually did the spark plug non fouler trick and that's worked fine no CEL since I installed them a few weeks ago..grabbing a tuner this weekend ill just shut the rears off
Whats the non fouler trick?
Kevo91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 09:07 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
You didn't by chance switch to synthetic oil at the same time you did the o/rx.
tc x 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 09:47 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Nice so comforting to know lol except that mines not black it's Grey with a blue tint in it
Old 06-15-2013, 10:36 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

I have had the same problem! I installed my upr o/r x pipe back in January and it smokes alittle only when I give it alittle gas after idling! I was getting worried for awhile, I just feel like it's not normal
Sonicblue11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 07:35 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Bringing this back..last night decided to take a ride to the beach to catch the fireworks, sat in traffic for a good hour, everytime I sat at idle for more than 5-10 minutes, I would get a puff of smoke at takeoff..it appeared blue, but idk if that's my paranoia or the headlights behind me that give off a blueish tint to it...all I know is I absolutely did not have this before my o/r x install.. Got me thinking it has something to do with the rear o2s not reading properly and possibly running rich or idk just guessing lol
Old 07-05-2013, 07:37 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Bringing this back..last night decided to take a ride to the beach to catch the fireworks, sat in traffic for a good hour, everytime I sat at idle for more than 5-10 minutes, I would get a puff of smoke at takeoff..it appeared blue, but idk if that's my paranoia or the headlights behind me that give off a blueish tint to it...all I know is I absolutely did not have this before my o/r x install.. Got me thinking it has something to do with the rear o2s not reading properly and possibly running rich or idk just guessing lol
Yea see thats the issue i have. NEVER occured before my o/r x. Ive got a tune now with my rear o2s turned off and it seems to occur less but still happens after a good amount of time idle
Old 07-05-2013, 10:36 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Same thing happens to me with my O/R Prochamber so I believe it's what the exhaust looks like before being filtered through the cats. I don't have any performance issues or oil problems either
BigB227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 10:48 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

So is it safe to say it's because of no cats?! It scares me all the time
Sonicblue11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 10:51 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I got an unknown brand o/r xpipe and sometimes mine will smoke a little white smoke with the a/c on. What gives? It's just barely noticable
Apex Predator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 11:10 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Minnesota
I've had no such problems with my upr o/r x that's strange it happens to everyone else I have a pair of mil Eliminators if anyone wants them lol I'm tuned now so they are no use to me anymore
schmitty426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 11:49 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmitty426 View Post
I've had no such problems with my upr o/r x that's strange it happens to everyone else I have a pair of mil Eliminators if anyone wants them lol I'm tuned now so they are no use to me anymore
Pm sent
Old 07-06-2013, 11:56 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

I have mil eliminators on my stang. Lt headers, o/r prochamber, with flowmaster 40s. I get dark smoke. Especially if Im going to pass someone and drop a gear and lay on it. I've always thought it was normal
1shotkllz is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT