Is this too much - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-09-2013, 11:32 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Is this too much

So I've called some shops around me to get a quote on installing long tube headers and a new H pipe and I've heard from $600-$800 and I just think that's way too much. What did you guys pay for urs to be done?
Top stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2013, 11:35 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Top stang View Post
So I've called some shops around me to get a quote on installing long tube headers and a new H pipe and I've heard from $600-$800 and I just think that's way too much. What did you guys pay for urs to be done?
That's what it will cost. Most people do it yourself because of how much labor is. It's about a whole day job even with a lift. The mid pipe is easy but the long tubs are extremely hard
3.73 Gears
XXR 521 Wheels
20x8.5 and 20x10.5
Count Dragula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 11:40 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
400 for me at a local performance shop

Low2v
Horseplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2013, 11:40 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSG2003 View Post

That's what it will cost. Most people do it yourself because of how much labor is. It's about a whole day job even with a lift. The mid pipe is easy but the long tubs are extremely hard
+1
They're very tricky.
Especially if you dont have a lift
MidnightBlueGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 11:46 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I always ask how much they charge an hour, some shops tell you like $62 an hour and I also ask how long it would take to install a certain part. Normally they say about 4 hours or so for long tubes and the H pipe maybe another 1hour. 5 hour job shouldn't cost $600 or more with professional help. I would look for any shop quoting $350 to $400 for both, if not i would walk...
Black8thElement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 11:50 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black8thElement View Post
I always ask how much they charge an hour, some shops tell you like $62 an hour and I also ask how long it would take to install a certain part. Normally they say about 4 hours or so for long tubes and the H pipe maybe another 1hour. 5 hour job shouldn't cost $600 or more with professional help. I would look for any shop quoting $350 to $400 for both, if not i would walk...
I've honestly never seen one charge 350 to 400. I've been quoted 500+ everywhere I have been. A mid pipe you can do yourself and they will probably tell you that is a 2 hour job when it is really 30 min tops.
3.73 Gears
XXR 521 Wheels
20x8.5 and 20x10.5
Old 06-09-2013, 11:51 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Most difficult DIY jobs are overprice for labor because shops know its difficult.
Old 06-09-2013, 11:51 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightBlueGT View Post
Most difficult DIY jobs are overprice for labor because shops know its difficult.
+1
3.73 Gears
XXR 521 Wheels
20x8.5 and 20x10.5
Old 06-09-2013, 12:35 PM   #9
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
You guys are mostly right on with what it will cost. On a modular it isn't a simple remove the stock manifolds and put the longtubes in with it being tight, you have to drop the ENTIRE K MEMBER to get the longtubes in. Its actually so much of a pain in the *** I would not recommend doing it at all unless you are going to have the K member out anyway like to replace the stocker with a lighter tubular unit. The price of the longtubes plus the labor cost if you can't do it yourself... you will not see the gains you think and there is a LOT of other stuff you can get for that money that is easier to install and better bang for the buck.

And then there is the longtubes themselves... honestly the only longtubes I would put on my car would be a set of Kooks and they run around $1200 just for the headers. Fully stainless, made in the USA, lifetime warranty, design is perfect and they fit amazing. The MAC and BBK stuff fits ok and the quality is decent but not like Kooks plus the Kooks stuff won't rust.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 12:52 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arkansas
Like Scotty said, LTs are a b*tch to have on your car. Good luck changing your clutch when it goes out. You have to remove the LTs to drop the tranny.
I helped a friend do a clutch on his Cobra ONCE and swore I would never have LTs.
BackPressure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 01:00 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Way more of a hassle and not worth the amount of money for the gains you get.
Old 06-09-2013, 01:01 PM   #12
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Good call on the longtubes and a clutch change. With the single piece bell/trans units in the modulars... no thanks on a clutch change with longtubes...

Honestly a great free flowing exhaust that will support a very good amount of power is stock manifolds, aftermarket midpipe and catback of your choice.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 03:00 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
$600 for LTs is a fair price, I wouldn't do it again for that. Who ever said $300, gonna have to show me a receipt to believe that.
tc x 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 03:04 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightBlueGT View Post
$62-$100 a hour is already overpriced.....to charge 1.5-2x the time is pure rape

4.10 Gear/RPM thread
2002VertGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 03:07 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Sounds about right. 4-600 is what I would look for
Old 06-09-2013, 03:09 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Best to invest in a lift and specialty tools and learn for a fraction of the price and have the knowledge and everything to DIY for future mods too
Old 06-10-2013, 12:05 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Ok I'll just get it done then I think it's too much for me to do. My buddy wants to trade me MAC long tube headers and gaskets and cutouts and the extensions for my hood and spoiler you guys think I should do it?? Do you guys know anything about MAC headers if they are good or bad??
Top stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 12:23 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Have them install only your headers and take it home and install h pipe yourself maybe that'll save some cash

---------- Post added at 12:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:21 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
You guys are mostly right on with what it will cost. On a modular it isn't a simple remove the stock manifolds and put the longtubes in with it being tight, you have to drop the ENTIRE K MEMBER to get the longtubes in. Its actually so much of a pain in the *** I would not recommend doing it at all unless you are going to have the K member out anyway like to replace the stocker with a lighter tubular unit. The price of the longtubes plus the labor cost if you can't do it yourself... you will not see the gains you think and there is a LOT of other stuff you can get for that money that is easier to install and better bang for the buck.

And then there is the longtubes themselves... honestly the only longtubes I would put on my car would be a set of Kooks and they run around $1200 just for the headers. Fully stainless, made in the USA, lifetime warranty, design is perfect and they fit amazing. The MAC and BBK stuff fits ok and the quality is decent but not like Kooks plus the Kooks stuff won't rust.
Bingo! Exactly

Follow me on instagram @nicknold for car and truck pictures
1lowGT is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT