Vortech or procharger?? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-11-2013, 04:18 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular
 
BigB227's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: West Palm Beach
Region: Florida
Posts: 1,120
Vortech or procharger??

Anybody have any preferences?? I know they are both centrifugal superchargers but does anyone know if one is better than te other?? The Vortech V3 or the procharger P-1SC??? Is there much difference in the design?? Or the install?
BigB227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 06-11-2013, 04:50 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular
 
Matticus's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Region: Alabama
Posts: 559
Procharger will make more power, vortech is cheaper. Both are pretty safe with a good tune. Power difference won't be huge, but I'm pretty sure the procharger has more potential to turn up the boost later if you forge your bottom end. Both good superchargers

---------- Post added at 04:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:49 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matticus View Post
Procharger will make more power, vortech is cheaper. Both are pretty safe with a good tune. Power difference won't be huge, but I'm pretty sure the procharger has more potential to turn up the boost later if you forge your bottom end. Both good superchargers
Also the vortech should be easier to install from the look of it. Don't have one but it looks simpler.
Matticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 06:02 PM   #3
Staff
Regular
Staff
 
scottydsntknow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: JB MDL
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 16,610
I'd go with a Vortech all day unless you are looking for serious omfg power and then you can always go with a Vortech T trim or a YSI or something. The V3 is really nice and being self contained makes it stupid easy to install. Literally just the brackets and plumbing and belt and its on. Still need a tune and you should upgrade your fuel system too obviously.
__________________
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 06-11-2013, 06:05 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular
 
AgentOrange's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Region: Florida
Posts: 991
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
I'd go with a Vortech all day unless you are looking for serious omfg power and then you can always go with a Vortech T trim or a YSI or something. The V3 is really nice and being self contained makes it stupid easy to install. Literally just the brackets and plumbing and belt and its on. Still need a tune and you should upgrade your fuel system too obviously.
Vortech kits at AM include fuel management and a voucher to send to vortech for a base tune last I checked. That alone wins me over if I had a stack of money burning a hole in my pocket.
AgentOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 06:36 PM   #5
Staff
Regular
Staff
 
scottydsntknow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: JB MDL
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 16,610
That it does, I believe you fedex them your computer and then they fedex it back the next day and its prepaid overnight. However you are still running a stock fuel system on a tune not designed for your specific car written by someone at a desk... Could be fine, might not be, would suck if you melted a piston because of a 10+ yr old injector running below its duty cycle though.
__________________
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 06:49 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular
 
AgentOrange's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Region: Florida
Posts: 991
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
That it does, I believe you fedex them your computer and then they fedex it back the next day and its prepaid overnight. However you are still running a stock fuel system on a tune not designed for your specific car written by someone at a desk... Could be fine, might not be, would suck if you melted a piston because of a 10+ yr old injector running below its duty cycle though.
Unlikely. The vortech kit includes injectors and a high flow pump.
AgentOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 07:17 PM   #7
Staff
Regular
Staff
 
scottydsntknow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: JB MDL
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 16,610
Well then there you go, been awhile since I looked at it lol. Still, would have to look at what injectors and what pump. Just going all out right off the bat leaves you room to grow later if you build the motor up. And it's still a mail order tune...
__________________
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 07:41 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular
 
AgentOrange's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Region: Florida
Posts: 991
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Well then there you go, been awhile since I looked at it lol. Still, would have to look at what injectors and what pump. Just going all out right off the bat leaves you room to grow later if you build the motor up. And it's still a mail order tune...
Yeah, it's certainly a base tune. I'd consider it a "drive to your dyno session tune" I'm sure whatever rate injectors and pump Vortech provides is sufficient for the kit.
AgentOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 07:59 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular
 
MidnightBlueGT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Charlotte
Region: North Carolina
Posts: 3,887
If go vortech.

But do whats beat for you, your goals and your car
MidnightBlueGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 08:54 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular
 
Corndog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Douglasville
Region: Georgia
Posts: 51
I have the p1sc and I love it
Corndog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 09:15 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular
 
DWC_SmOziLLa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Lancaster
Region: Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,791
Buy ME Gear!!!
:cool
Official MustangEvolution.com Gear
__________________
Best 1/4: 1.90 60ft. - 12.15 @ 119mph on Street Tires.
460.25rwhp & 408.28rwtq SAE on a Dynojet 224xLC
Tuned by Matt Lepkowski, owner and operator a Performance Evolution in Smyrna, DE.
DWC_SmOziLLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 11:16 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular
 
AgentOrange's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Region: Florida
Posts: 991
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWC_SmOziLLa View Post
Forum merchandise spam? Really?
AgentOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 11:30 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular
 
MidnightBlueGT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Charlotte
Region: North Carolina
Posts: 3,887
Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentOrange View Post

Forum merchandise spam? Really?
+1
MidnightBlueGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 12:37 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular
 
BigB227's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: West Palm Beach
Region: Florida
Posts: 1,120
From what it seems I might be leaning towards the Vortech just because of the ease of installation and self containment. What maintenance wise should be done with the P-1SC???
BigB227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 07:56 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular
 
ksrumbel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Hamburg
Region: Pennsylvania
Posts: 483
The p-1sc is also a self contained unit. I like it more because it has the air to air intercooler which is what makes the install a little more involved but I can't see it being bad.
ksrumbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 10:30 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular
 
BigB227's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: West Palm Beach
Region: Florida
Posts: 1,120
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksrumbel View Post
The p-1sc is also a self contained unit. I like it more because it has the air to air intercooler which is what makes the install a little more involved but I can't see it being bad.
Aw well I see lol hmm makes my decision that much harder lol
BigB227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 10:31 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular
 
Matticus's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Region: Alabama
Posts: 559
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksrumbel View Post
The p-1sc is also a self contained unit. I like it more because it has the air to air intercooler which is what makes the install a little more involved but I can't see it being bad.
You could buy a heat exchanger and make a front mount setup on the vortech though, right?
Matticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 10:35 AM   #18
Staff
Regular
Staff
 
scottydsntknow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: JB MDL
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 16,610
Yep, hell you can rig in an ebay intercooler with ebay piping and coolers if you want. Just takes a lot of messing with it to get it right. I've seen them done on Modulars and even SN95 5.0s, it just is a pain to get it all to fit.

Not really required on a stock longblock though. You can max out the stock internals without the cooler.
__________________
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 11:49 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular
 
onesickstang01's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 441
Cxracing makes a front mount and piping kit specific to these cars. I run a cx 4 core front mount and had all my piping welded. Making well over 600rwhp and the intercooler has my intake temps equal to atmosphere temps or less. I have ran several vortech setups and love them. They are both basically the same exact thing but i do like prochargers brackets a little better. Just nicer looking with a polished blower
onesickstang01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 04:40 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular
 
WheelStander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Charlotte
Region: North Carolina
Posts: 1,470
I have a factory Cobra intercooler for sale with brackets.
Brand new and powder coated.


Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130613_054009.png
Views:	226
Size:	578.6 KB
ID:	113841
__________________
Induction: Kenne Bell | wHp: 515 Tq: 503 | 1/4 Mile:11.09@123
WheelStander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 11:56 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular
 
Slow4V's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Sa
Region: Alabama
Posts: 2,208
Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelStander View Post
I have a factory Cobra intercooler for sale with brackets.
Brand new and powder coated.
How much
Slow4V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 12:32 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Region: Arkansas
Posts: 704
Simply put, procharger is better because it is a self-contained unit and requires no oil pan tapping as well as offering more reliability in the impeller and internals, it is a more advanced ball bearing system (according to all of the fellas over at ModdedMuatangs and SVTP).
Ease of installation + more potential for power + more reliability = better all around if you ask me.
If you think you may want more power later, or just want a better head unit, go ahead and upgrade to the D-1SC unit. It's stronger and makes the same power at lower boost.
BackPressure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 01:36 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular
 
BigB227's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: West Palm Beach
Region: Florida
Posts: 1,120
Quote:
Originally Posted by BackPressure View Post
Simply put, procharger is better because it is a self-contained unit and requires no oil pan tapping as well as offering more reliability in the impeller and internals, it is a more advanced ball bearing system (according to all of the fellas over at ModdedMuatangs and SVTP).
Ease of installation + more potential for power + more reliability = better all around if you ask me.
If you think you may want more power later, or just want a better head unit, go ahead and upgrade to the D1 unit. It's stronger and makes the same power at lower boost.
D1 unit??? Where can I find that unit?
BigB227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 02:06 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Region: Arkansas
Posts: 704
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigB227 View Post

D1 unit??? Where can I find that unit?
Procharger carries them...
You really don't need to get a D-1SC unless you just want to. The stock internals are good to about 400 and the D-1SC pushes up to 925 at 1400cfm. To compare, the P-1SC is rated at 1200cfm and runs up to 825. The P-1SC will make more power than your motor could ever handle, so it's more than enough for a basic FI project. Some guys run a D-1SC just to have more growth potential because its rated for a slightly stronger base motor setup and can hold more psi.
I remember reading threads years ago on ModdedMuatangs about a handful of guys that went in together and switched from their P-1SC to a D-1SC system. They made a few dozen more hp and foot-lbs of torque, but that's all on built motors. There really is no need for you to get one.
I only mentioned it as an option, not a suggestion. Sorry for any confusion.
BackPressure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 02:33 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular
 
BigB227's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: West Palm Beach
Region: Florida
Posts: 1,120
Quote:
Originally Posted by BackPressure View Post

Procharger carries them...
You really don't need to get a D-1SC unless you just want to. The stock internals are good to about 400 and the D-1SC pushes up to 925 at 1400cfm. To compare, the P-1SC is rated at 1200cfm and runs up to 825. The P-1SC will make more power than your motor could ever handle, so it's more than enough for a basic FI project. Some guys run a D-1SC just to have more growth potential because its rated for a slightly stronger base motor setup and can hold more psi.
I remember reading threads years ago on ModdedMuatangs about a handful of guys that went in together and switched from their P-1SC to a D-1SC system. They made a few dozen more hp and foot-lbs of torque, but that's all on built motors. There really is no need for you to get one.
I only mentioned it as an option, not a suggestion. Sorry for any confusion.
No no I completely understand but I plan on buying a forged short block with forged internals and plan on running a bit of boost and later on upping the hp
BigB227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 02:36 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Region: Arkansas
Posts: 704
If you want to spend the money and have a high power forged block later, go ahead and grab a D-1SC so you don't have to pay for it later.
That's what I'd do if I wanted to make 600 or more.
BackPressure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 02:38 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular
 
MidnightBlueGT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Charlotte
Region: North Carolina
Posts: 3,887
I didnt know prochargers made such big numbers. Those are big turbo numbers!
MidnightBlueGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 02:43 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Region: Arkansas
Posts: 704
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightBlueGT View Post
I didnt know prochargers made such big numbers. Those are big turbo numbers!
They're not turbos for the record.
Centrifugal blowers are used for racing because they can make massive numbers. The Procharger F-1 series make well over 1,000 reliably in race cars.
The corvette guys can make 800+ easy with a D-1SC!
BackPressure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 02:45 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular
 
MidnightBlueGT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Charlotte
Region: North Carolina
Posts: 3,887
I know what they are...i was just saying thats big numbers for a centri. sc
MidnightBlueGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 02:48 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Region: Arkansas
Posts: 704
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightBlueGT View Post
I know what they are...i was just saying thats big numbers for a centri. sc
I meant no offense.They are impressive numbers. Those are Procharger's claims, but I've seen dyno sheets with numbers that big on these blowers.
I just hate the sound of them.
BackPressure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 02:52 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular
 
BigB227's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: West Palm Beach
Region: Florida
Posts: 1,120
I think I'm sold on the procharger but yeah I honestly kind of like the sound of the blow off release. But nothing beats the whine of a twin screw
BigB227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 02:58 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular
 
MidnightBlueGT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Charlotte
Region: North Carolina
Posts: 3,887
Quote:
Originally Posted by BackPressure View Post

I meant no offense.They are impressive numbers. Those are Procharger's claims, but I've seen dyno sheets with numbers that big on these blowers.
I just hate the sound of them.
On built 2v's or 4v's?
Id like to see those numbers on a 2v
MidnightBlueGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 03:04 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Region: Arkansas
Posts: 704
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightBlueGT View Post

On built 2v's or 4v's?
Id like to see those numbers on a 2v
Obviously not a 2v lol. Mostly LS motors back when I was on LS1Tech. I don't know of many 4v owners than don't want a positive displacement blower.
Here's a 744rwhp LS2 with a dyno sheet.
http://youtu.be/aRBn46pCo34
BackPressure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 03:34 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular
 
MidnightBlueGT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Charlotte
Region: North Carolina
Posts: 3,887
I figured lol.

Thats pretty sweet
MidnightBlueGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 05:46 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular
 
WheelStander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Charlotte
Region: North Carolina
Posts: 1,470
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow4V View Post

How much
Its on Craig's with brackets for 150 I think
__________________
Induction: Kenne Bell | wHp: 515 Tq: 503 | 1/4 Mile:11.09@123
WheelStander is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


» Like Us On Facebook



01:37 AM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.