Auto Tranny Problems - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-13-2013, 06:20 PM   #1

Region: Georgia
Auto Tranny Problems

I have a 98 GT with an automatic transmission wants to start in 2nd. If you hold the brake and give it enough has, it will change to 1st then. Also, if I floor it going down the road at about 40mph it will just rev up and not catch. I just changed the filter and gave it fresh fluid, but it didn't help. Could it be a solenoid? Do I just need another transmission?
PoeWalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-13-2013, 06:58 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
How many miles are on this car Poe? Yes it could be a solenoid or any number of things. If this is a high mileage transmission, I do not recommend trying to fix it one part at a time though. You are just going to have to bend over, lube up real good, and take it. Again, I recommend taking the car to some reputable transmission shops and let them read the codes and find out what is going on and get estimates for upgrading to the 04 trans.
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 07:18 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by straybullitt View Post
How many miles are on this car Poe? Yes it could be a solenoid or any number of things. If this is a high mileage transmission, I do not recommend trying to fix it one part at a time though. You are just going to have to bend over, lube up real good, and take it. Again, I recommend taking the car to some reputable transmission shops and let them read the codes and find out what is going on and get estimates for upgrading to the 04 trans.
The thing is that I don't know how many miles are on it. The counter stopped working at 127,000 miles. I didn't really worry about it because I got the car so cheap and would just take the loss if it ended bad. The engine runs strong and the body is perfect though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-13-2013, 07:24 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Well if the engine is strong and the body is good, put another trans in it and drive it. I have a truck that is on its 5th transmission.
Old 06-13-2013, 07:41 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by straybullitt View Post
Well if the engine is strong and the body is good, put another trans in it and drive it. I have a truck that is on its 5th transmission.
I was just hoping that there would be a cheaper option. I'll find out when I get it checked out at a shop with a computer. Thanks.
Old 06-13-2013, 07:44 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

No problem. And Welcome to the forum!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT