Long tubes or Shorties? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-13-2013, 09:33 PM   #1

Region: Georgia
Long tubes or Shorties?

I'm looking to get some new headers and really don't know what's best.. Is it better to go with long tubes or shorty headers on a 4.6? Opinions please
kaa_04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-13-2013, 09:40 PM   #2

And by the way, I will be doing a complete motor swap so the new motor will be out of the car with the headers on before I drop it in my car.
Old 06-13-2013, 09:44 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Utah
everyone one on here is going to post that shorties are worthless...Ive had shorties on every v8 ive owned and they are great!. I have heard from so many people that long tubes have so many fitment issues and stuff, yes you wont get quite the gains of longtubes but anything is way better than stock
Kevo91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-13-2013, 09:45 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
If choosing between the two id go lt's.

Stock manifolds are good on our cars though either way
MidnightBlueGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 09:46 PM   #5

I've heard from a lot of people if you are doing a complete motor swap that long tubes are the way to go, but a lot of people have also told me to go with shorties because they fit better, I just don't know what to do lol
Old 06-13-2013, 09:51 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

shorties fit way better, ive never had a fitment issue. In the case of my truck since i live in utah, it would hardly make it over parleys summit but with shorties it flies over with a full load in the back. You really cant feel a noticeable difference between the two

---------- Post added at 08:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:49 PM ----------

If you do anything like procharge/supercharge I would definitely go long tube though
Old 06-13-2013, 09:57 PM   #7

Yep I'm planning on supercharge/turbo or nitrous. Not sure which yet but that's why I thought long tubes
Old 06-13-2013, 10:04 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaa_04 View Post
Yep I'm planning on supercharge/turbo or nitrous. Not sure which yet but that's why I thought long tubes
Definitely get Longtunes then just so it's done and if you want bigger gains later you'll be set
BigB227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 10:05 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Gotcha yeah longs then, hopefully they fit up for you good
Old 06-13-2013, 11:09 PM   #10

Thanks y'all. that's what I thought I would go with, but thanks for the help!
Old 06-14-2013, 02:03 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Good luck. Hope the fitment is good. Make sure you match brand names to help it go a little smoother also make sure you get a shorty mid.
MidnightBlueGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 02:21 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
If you're manual and you get longtubes, I wish you good luck when you need to change the clutch
Old 06-14-2013, 03:01 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Don't do long tubes they are an absolute pain to install it will take you longer than a motor swap on these cars half the time and have even had to go as far as shimming the subframe just so they will clear on a 03 cobra had lots of fitment issues and they will have to come out every time you do a clutch shorties are ten times easier to install and help plenty compared to stock
BlackStang00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 04:07 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venomouz831 View Post
If you're manual and you get longtubes, I wish you good luck when you need to change the clutch
This is the pain im feeling, i installed my lts myself and it was a complete pita. It was a first time install aswell. So it took me approximately 15 hours. And now i realize as im hitting 90k miles i shoulda done the clutch at the same time. If u have a t45 u might be able to swap the clutch with the lts in tact. Could be wrong though. If u plan on drag racing and beatin on the clutch u might wanna go shortys. Just sayin man. I plan on keepin my lts though cuz idgaf and they sound mean as ****!
1996v6stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 09:22 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arkansas
Just get Bassani Mid-lengths. You get the scavenging and flow benefits of LTs (although a bit less) without the fitment issues.
And seriously, shorties flow exactly the same as the stock manifolds. You can say yours don't, but you're only fooling yourself.
BackPressure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 10:02 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venomouz831 View Post
Bingo.

Which is why a new clutch everything is going in mine first
Old 06-14-2013, 10:37 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by H.Doofenshmirtz View Post
Bingo.

Which is why a new clutch everything is going in mine first
Wish i woulda done this.... Lol
1996v6stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 10:40 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
With Mac long tubes your suppose to be able to get the tranny out without removing the headers.
taylor98gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 11:15 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by taylor98gt View Post
With Mac long tubes your suppose to be able to get the tranny out without removing the headers.
I am hoping that is true, some conflicting information abounds on the subject. Both my side neighbors have engine hoists so i'm feeling a bit better about it lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1996v6stang View Post
Wish i woulda done this.... Lol
Despite my itchin and twitchin to jump head-first into the mods, there was plenty of advice (special h/t to Jazzer too) to think about your end-goals. I read a ***** ton on 6 different Mustang fora, write-ups and how-to's on AM, some vids on u-toob, a whole dearth of information to absorb. The more i read, the more things made sense, and the more fine-tuned my eventual goals became. I've had an email dialogue with a rep from Steeda, nailing down with precision the suspension route (which btw, should be done FIRST before adding any power...gotta lay it down safely!). I don't want to bloviate too much here and hijack the fcuk outta this thread so i will stop it here. Feel free to shoot me a PM if u like, i can kill some keystrokes no worries lol

EDIT: ^^ i dont mean to sound like a knowitall dooshbag, i think my coffee valve is stuck wide open sorry!
Old 06-15-2013, 07:15 AM   #20
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Lol my coffee valve is going wide open here in a min... take off in 9 hours, then an 18 hour duty day...

As for shorties... they dont flow any better than the stockers. These are not the same restrictive headers that came on the 5.0... longtubes... if you are going to do them, do it right the first time and get kooks. They are $1200 a pair but the absolute best. Fully stainless, no fit issues, made in usa, lifetime warranty. If you are thinking of going turbo... why in hell are you messing with headers now?
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 10:22 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Lol my coffee valve is going wide open here in a min... take off in 9 hours, then an 18 hour duty day...

As for shorties... they dont flow any better than the stockers. These are not the same restrictive headers that came on the 5.0... longtubes... if you are going to do them, do it right the first time and get kooks. They are $1200 a pair but the absolute best. Fully stainless, no fit issues, made in usa, lifetime warranty. If you are thinking of going turbo... why in hell are you messing with headers now?
With kooks do you have to drop them to get to your clutch?
3.73 Gears
XXR 521 Wheels
20x8.5 and 20x10.5
Count Dragula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 12:43 PM   #22

I'm trying to figure out what I should do just so I'll know ahead of time. I'm building a motor and want to know what kind of headers to go with.
Old 06-16-2013, 08:40 AM   #23
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSG2003 View Post
With kooks do you have to drop them to get to your clutch?
With the 1 piece bellhousing transmissions yeah you have to remove the headers... I was able to do my clutch in my 5.0 with MAC longtubes but that was because I could pull the trans out sans bell and then maneuver the bell out separetly... Not the case with the modulars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaa_04 View Post
I'm trying to figure out what I should do just so I'll know ahead of time. I'm building a motor and want to know what kind of headers to go with.
Building how? Staying NA? Can you afford a $2k exhaust system? What are your goals? You aren't going to get much because we aren't telepathic and there are a million different motor combos.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 10:14 PM   #24

I've said earlier I don't know if I'm going turbo/supercharge or nitrous.

---------- Post added at 11:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:13 PM ----------

I have a Romeo block and PI heads with stage 2 comp cams, forged rods and pistons. That's what I'm starting with.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT