Interior sounds - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-15-2013, 08:32 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mississippi
Interior sounds

Can anyone explain the noises we hear inside the GT? I can decipher the dual exhaust sound. Is the rest of the noise the road and tire noises or do we also hear the trans and diff? There doesn't seem to be much insulation or sound proofing. So, it is loud at highway speeds inside the car. I start hearing noises other than the exhaust around 28mph. Can anyone shed some light on this? Thanks.
escottcarp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-15-2013, 08:51 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Utah
What kind of noises exactly? If its a whining noise id say you need new gears cause thats about the speed you would start to hear it.
Kevo91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 10:05 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Not a whine or a hum. I would not call it a grind, either. It is a 'little' like the sound of roller coaster climbing the first hill. Every '02-04 Mustang I have driven or ridden in has had these same sounds. There are no rear end leaks and the wheel centers are not hot after a long drive.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-15-2013, 10:17 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

I have Nexan 3000 'summer' tires also.
Old 06-15-2013, 10:43 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Utah
Hmm if its all of them making the same noise then I would assume its normal but yeah couldn't tell ya what it is then. Its possible it could be a bad wheel bearing but I cant imagine all those having the same issue
Kevo91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 12:54 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
Summer tires are usually pretty noisy. Most of the noises you would commonly hear are tires and exhaust. You won't hear much from the transmission unless something is starting to break. Tire noise usually gets louder the faster you go
Mile high JDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 01:22 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Get some dynamat and seal that baby up
Old 06-16-2013, 07:50 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Maybe the noise I hear is just normal. I don't hear clunks or whirls. Dynamic or that Advance Auto spray sound proofing would keep the sound level down.
Old 06-17-2013, 04:40 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Today, I see grease or something on the inside of the wheel rim and on the fender well. Looks like a bad axle bearing and seal???
Old 06-17-2013, 04:53 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arkansas
Honestly, all Mustangs are rattle boxes full of wiggly bolts and loose screws. They are just noisy cars. My 01 GT has rattled for the 2 years I've owned it. The 03 before that rattled. Both of mom and dad's 07 GTs back home rattle. Even a brand new 5.0 rattled when I test drove it. The Mach 1 I almost bought rattled. It's good ol' Ford quality (more of a lack thereof) that you're hearing.
BackPressure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 05:22 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
personally, I don't subscribe to the cars "all being that way". They get that way, but all of that can be prevented/ covered up by the proper sound deadening techniques.

The red 89 I had was quiet enough to carry on a spoken conversation, yet still had flowmasters, and resonators. The key is keeping fasteners and trim clips tight, and using the stuff out there made for the purpose of killing off the other noises inherant to the mechanical processes that are taking place all at the same time while the car is running.
( I.E. Dynamat)
You want to scrape off all of the sound deadening and remove the Jute backing form your carpet to save 50 lbs? then expect to hear the whirs, clicks, clunks and whines that accompany an internal cumbustion engine, hooked to a manual transmission, ending up at a live rear axle, all while having everything rattled by some noisy *** exhaust system resonating through everything else.

My 5.0 feature:http://www.mustang50magazine.com/fea...d/viewall.html
mike1157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 10:13 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Grease seeps from the bearing at temps above 550 degrees (with most grease brands). Normally, a wheel bearing runs around 170 degrees. So, if grease is seeping, either the bearing and/or seal is bad. I'll change both on Wednesday.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT