Bellhousing bolts on tr3650 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-17-2013, 07:48 AM   #1

Region: Arkansas
Bellhousing bolts on tr3650

Ok so here is my issue. I own a mustang that at one point saw northern streets. The exhaust is rusty which made it really hard to remove the exhaust for a clutch change. With this being the case I have decided to leave the exhaust on and just lower the transmission in between the h-pipe. This looks feasible. This however is not my issue. My problem is the top bell housing bolts. They are on there very snug. I did now have a problem getting the socket on the top left bolt but I can't seem to break it loose. My fear is I will break the bolt do to rust. Can anyone give me any advice or maybe tell me something I don't know ie. the bolts are too strong to break! Any advice will be appreciated.
Advertisement

Old 06-17-2013, 08:07 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Lots of PBblaster soaking, heat from a torch, and some patients should take care of the stubborn bolts
Old 06-17-2013, 09:06 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Remove the tranny brace and SLOWLY lower the transmission down with a jack. This will give you a few more inches of valuable maneuver room. I was able to break mine using a short socket, about 3 ft of extensions, only one swivel joint and a big a$$ breaker bar. Key is to not use very many swivel joint and go in at it as straight as you can while keeping pressure on the whole contraption do the socket doesn't slip off and slowly turn using the breaker bar.

You can have a go with pb blaster, but not sure there is enough room to get a torch in there and honestly I wouldn't risk the touch in that confined space, that's just me, you've got the wire harness that is right there.
FanOfSkynyrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-17-2013, 10:58 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanOfSkynyrd View Post
Remove the tranny brace and SLOWLY lower the transmission down with a jack. This will give you a few more inches of valuable maneuver room. I was able to break mine using a short socket, about 3 ft of extensions, only one swivel joint and a big a$$ breaker bar. Key is to not use very many swivel joint and go in at it as straight as you can while keeping pressure on the whole contraption do the socket doesn't slip off and slowly turn using the breaker bar.

You can have a go with pb blaster, but not sure there is enough room to get a torch in there and honestly I wouldn't risk the touch in that confined space, that's just me, you've got the wire harness that is right there.
I'm not having an issue getting the socket on the bolts, it's just the nervousness of possibly breaking the bolts. I put a lot of pressure on the breaker bar and just wasn't sure what was gonna give. It may be that I just need to keep torquing until something gives. I just didn't want something to snap. Is it possible to get to the bolt from the engine bay without removing the intake?
Old 06-17-2013, 07:05 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by StellarGT View Post

I'm not having an issue getting the socket on the bolts, it's just the nervousness of possibly breaking the bolts. I put a lot of pressure on the breaker bar and just wasn't sure what was gonna give. It may be that I just need to keep torquing until something gives. I just didn't want something to snap. Is it possible to get to the bolt from the engine bay without removing the intake?
Just try to get some PB Blaster on them, let them soak and be careful.

Needless to say, are you going to replace the bolts once out? I would, you can get a set from LMR for like $20
Old 06-18-2013, 10:11 AM   #6

Well I was hoping the bolts would be ok to clean up and reuse. Not real sure. We got the starter out yesterday which I will replace and started working on the top bel housing bolts. The result was two broken swivel joints. They are really on there! Not sure where to go from this point.
Old 06-18-2013, 12:44 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

If absolutely necessary, very, very carefully you can jack up the front of the engine, I used the harmonic balancer pulley. Like I said just be very careful and don't go over board, could get you another inch or two of clearance you need and then wouldn't need swivel joints, you could just go straight on in at them with extensions.

Good luck,I know they are a pain in the a$$. Worst case, try calling a mobile mechanic see if they can get them broken free

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT