HELP ME!! Chattering and Cranshaft Pully Wabble - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-17-2013, 07:37 PM   #1

Region: Michigan
HELP ME!! Chattering and Cranshaft Pully Wabble

I currently own a 2003 GT 4.6. I have had some chattering for a while from my throw out bearing, but been pushing it off for replacement because of wanting to upgrade the overall car. The problem has progressivly gotton worse and the other day I went to drive my car and could smell my serpetine belt burning. The belt had come off and I notice a slight wiggle or wabble in my cranshaft pulley. Could this just be from my clutch going bad, or did i push it too far and blow up my car. The car has plenty of oil in it. But the day before I had the problem happen I could hear a little wined when I first started my car.

Thanks for the help and can someone give me a couple tips to save money on labor or repairs. Unfortunatley, I have no where to work on my car or tools for big repairs.
Roz21nik is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2013, 02:10 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Wobbling of the crankshaft pulley would be unrelated to any potential TOB issue. Though they both mount to the crankshaft they are at opposite ends of same, with five bearings in between--it could be that you do not have a TOB problem and that the crank pulley has been trying to tell you something. If saving money is a major concern then noises that get progressively worse should never be ignored.

The only way the harmonic balancer (pulley) can wobble is if it has come loose on the crank nose or if the crank nose has fractured, neither is a good scenario as repair will likely involve replacing the crankshaft.

What needs to be done next is to remove the crank nose bolt and harmonic balancer, and see what damage has been done, post some photos if you can...

New ride (7/1/2013) 1998 Mercedes SL500-5.0L 32V VVT 326/347 HP/tq
cliffyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 03:26 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Theres a pice of rubber that connects the out side of the pulley to the inside its not uncommon for the rubber to come apart it can be a simply fix just need a pulley puller
Tyoung68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2013, 04:38 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roz21nik View Post
I currently own a 2003 GT 4.6. I have had some chattering for a while from my throw out bearing, but been pushing it off for replacement because of wanting to upgrade the overall car. The problem has progressivly gotton worse and the other day I went to drive my car and could smell my serpetine belt burning. The belt had come off and I notice a slight wiggle or wabble in my cranshaft pulley. Could this just be from my clutch going bad, or did i push it too far and blow up my car. The car has plenty of oil in it. But the day before I had the problem happen I could hear a little wined when I first started my car.

Thanks for the help and can someone give me a couple tips to save money on labor or repairs. Unfortunatley, I have no where to work on my car or tools for big repairs.
Probably bad pulley , just replace it , or get a whole new under drive set while your there.

FYI crank pulley is a ***** to take off ..
I had my 1200tq breakaway 1/2 impact embarrassed by that thing lol
Slow4V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 11:58 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Ha just make sure the washers out i just made that mistake on a car i was just working on
Tyoung68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 06:32 PM   #6

So I added the pics of my pulley once I got it off. Is this a factory pulley or aftermarket. Also what should I go with to replace?

Couple more questions. Would the pulley being bad really lower the power in my car? I had now visible dmg or wobble to the shaft once the pully was off.

Als, i get a wierd stretched rubber band noise from my rear end when I take off out of first. Anyone know what that could be?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 025.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	1.42 MB
ID:	114652   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 026.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	1.36 MB
ID:	114653  

Old 06-18-2013, 08:13 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

It's not stock--here are a couple photos of the stock balancer:

It is also not Steeda, IDK what brand it is. however it looks as thought the rubber bonding strip may have failed--which is good news as it means the crank nose is probably OK. The smell you noticed may have been the rubber bond burning, not the belt--could also be the "rubber band" noise.

Was the bolt tight when you pulled it off?

Old 06-18-2013, 09:54 PM   #8

Ya, I used a 1/2" wrench with a 11/16 socket and a 3 ft bar. It was a little bit of a process, but I was able to get it off no problem. It took everything I had to get it off. I am wondering what I should put back on now. Is it worth the aftermarket upgrade or should i just purchase one from the dealership?
Old 06-19-2013, 05:07 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

I would not put it back on, it is damaged and may take something else with it...

Old 06-19-2013, 08:07 AM   #10

I don't want to put that one back on. I was winding if you have any suggestions on what I should put on or buy. I have no clue when it comes to this. Like if I buy the ford racing pulls, is there anything else I have to add with it? Or is the belt size going to change? If it does, how do I know what belt to get?
Old 06-19-2013, 09:28 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roz21nik View Post
I don't want to put that one back on. I was winding if you have any suggestions on what I should put on or buy. I have no clue when it comes to this. Like if I buy the ford racing pulls, is there anything else I have to add with it? Or is the belt size going to change? If it does, how do I know what belt to get?
Its size appears to be the same as most UDP crank pulleys (around 6.5") meaning it should be able to be replaced with nearly any non-piggyback UDP crank pulley. I believe Steeda sells theirs separately...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT